Author Topic: Allen Iverson Chokes Up  (Read 27934 times)

Re: Allen Iverson Chokes Up
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Playing the victim.

Try going to practice.

Come on don't be so cynical. He may have slipped now, but last time I checked Iverson was the 3rd all time scorer in NBA. Its hard to swallow your pride when you are still better than 90% of the players in the league.

In his own mind only.

Really? The NBA has 450 players. Please name 46 current players better than Iverson.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncey Billups
Derrick Rose
Mo Williams
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris
Jose Calderon
Tony Parker
Gilbert Arenas
Manu Ginobili
Tracy McGrady
Ben Gordon
Rip Hamilton
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Eric Gordon
Ray Allen
Brandon Roy
Andre Iguodala
Lebron James
Paul Pierce
Ron Artest
Rashard Lewis
Carmelo Anthony
Danny Granger
Tayshaun Prince
Hedo Tukoglu
Kevin Durant
Caron Butler
Al Jefferson
Amare Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol
Carlos Boozer
Josh Smith
Kevin Garnett
Rasheed Wallace
Shaq
Big Z
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming

Took me awhile but i did it.

You missed a lot of guys like Rondo and Mike Conley. Plus if you were going to make a list of who would be better 2 years from now there'd be about 300 guys on the list like BBD, CJ Miles, and a lot of rookies like Lester Hudson

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »

Offline PerkinsIsABEAST

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Allen Iverson was always constantly overrated (he was never a top 5 player at any point of his career) and is def not a top 46 player anymore. He provides the easiest thing to in basketball, bulk scoring on horrible efficency. If you gave tons of players as many shots as AI they would be able to provide similar numbers. Oh yeah and Iverson doesn't play defense either. Last year he shot 50.2 TS%, that is HORRIBLE. He is a career 51.9 TS%, again HORRIBLE.

I'd love for people to say which guards on that list AI is worse than, the only one u can say is Eric Gordon and like others have said players like Rondo/Conley weren't mentioned so he can easily take Gordon's place on the list

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

See the problem with that is, you are a chronic AI hater clearly. Which makes that futile for me to even attempt. People will try to point to last year as some sort of reasoning as to why he is now bad.

Just like the tools who try too use Marbury's stats last year for the same point and ignore that he hadn't played in over a year.
Twice now you have called me a hater and refused to debate with me about a player's value. You've also bashed statistics again.

How do you expect people to take you seriously if you won't engage in a conversation with them? You made a claim, back it up! The list isn't that long, name the players that AI is better than and we can have discussion about it.

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2009, 11:30:32 AM »

Offline PerkinsIsABEAST

• Xavier Tillman
Playing the victim.

Try going to practice.

Come on don't be so cynical. He may have slipped now, but last time I checked Iverson was the 3rd all time scorer in NBA. Its hard to swallow your pride when you are still better than 90% of the players in the league.

In his own mind only.

Really? The NBA has 450 players. Please name 46 current players better than Iverson.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncey Billups
Derrick Rose
Mo Williams
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris
Jose Calderon
Tony Parker
Gilbert Arenas
Manu Ginobili
Tracy McGrady
Ben Gordon
Rip Hamilton
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Eric Gordon
Ray Allen
Brandon Roy
Andre Iguodala
Lebron James
Paul Pierce
Ron Artest
Rashard Lewis
Carmelo Anthony
Danny Granger
Tayshaun Prince
Hedo Tukoglu
Kevin Durant
Caron Butler
Al Jefferson
Amare Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol
Carlos Boozer
Josh Smith
Kevin Garnett
Rasheed Wallace
Shaq
Big Z
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming

1) Half your list is big men.

2) Half your 1/2 guards are not better than AI.
Please name what guards on that list that are worse than AI. Other than maybe Eric Gordon I don't think you can support that position.

See the problem with that is, you are a chronic AI hater clearly. Which makes that futile for me to even attempt. People will try to point to last year as some sort of reasoning as to why he is now bad.

Just like the tools who try too use Marbury's stats last year for the same point and ignore that he hadn't played in over a year.

Um Marbury was AWFUL last year, now if u want to chalk that up to not playing in a year that's legit, but it doesn't change the fact he was beyond awful. Not sure what that has to do with Iverson, he never took a year off. And Marbury just like Iverson has been an incredibly overrated player his entire career, maybe that's why u compared the two?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:40:26 AM by PerkinsIsABEAST »

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2009, 12:15:52 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I think this topic points out the one thing that a very divided public can agree on about A.I.  The man has a lot of heart. I have loved watching him over the years, because he is a warrior and plays tons of minutes and never wants to come out the game.  Other people see the "poster-image" for everything that is wrong with modern basketball.

Truth is there is room for unique individuals in this NBA, and someone can be a poor fit for the C's but be amazing somewhere else, and I hope it works out for A.I.

The man has a lot of heart, when HE feels like having a lot of heart.  Im not gonna disagree with the fact that AI plays with a lot of heart during games.  However, wouldnt you agree that Kevin Garnett plays with a lot of heart too??  Then why doesnt Allen Iverson's heart and passion have the same effect on a team that KG's heart and passion have on a team?  The difference is that Kevin Garnett brings that heart, that passion, and that dedication, to every game, every PRACTICE, every TEAM MEETING, every WORKOUT, and EVERY SHOOT AROUND.  When KG does that, all the other star players around him follow suit b/c they dont want to be the guy that cant keep up, and every young guy on the team follows him because thats the example that the guy theyre learning from has set.  Now look at Iverson, you can look at him and argue that hes talented enough to get away with not practicing, can you make that arguement about the role players on the team?  the rookies?  Because Im sure a lot of them say, if our team leader doesnt need to take this seriously, then why do I?

This reason is why Iverson will never be a winner, and GMs dont want to give him the role and contract he wants anymore.
Greg

« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2009, 12:19:32 PM »

Offline PerkinsIsABEAST

• Xavier Tillman
I think this topic points out the one thing that a very divided public can agree on about A.I.  The man has a lot of heart. I have loved watching him over the years, because he is a warrior and plays tons of minutes and never wants to come out the game.  Other people see the "poster-image" for everything that is wrong with modern basketball.

Truth is there is room for unique individuals in this NBA, and someone can be a poor fit for the C's but be amazing somewhere else, and I hope it works out for A.I.

The man has a lot of heart, when HE feels like having a lot of heart.  Im not gonna disagree with the fact that AI plays with a lot of heart during games.  However, wouldnt you agree that Kevin Garnett plays with a lot of heart too??  Then why doesnt Allen Iverson's heart and passion have the same effect on a team that KG's heart and passion have on a team?  The difference is that Kevin Garnett brings that heart, that passion, and that dedication, to every game, every PRACTICE, every TEAM MEETING, every WORKOUT, and EVERY SHOOT AROUND.  When KG does that, all the other star players around him follow suit b/c they dont want to be the guy that cant keep up, and every young guy on the team follows him because thats the example that the guy theyre learning from has set.  Now look at Iverson, you can look at him and argue that hes talented enough to get away with not practicing, can you make that arguement about the role players on the team?  the rookies?  Because Im sure a lot of them say, if our team leader doesnt need to take this seriously, then why do I?

This reason is why Iverson will never be a winner, and GMs dont want to give him the role and contract he wants anymore.

? The reason why Iverson won't be a winner is because he is horribly inefficent and plays 0 defense. The reason why KG will be a winner is because he is efficent and plays great defense at the 2nd most important defensive position in the nba (center being #1 obv) as well as being a great rebounder/passer

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2009, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Didn't Iverson lead a team to the NBA Finals?

Perhaps it has more to so with his supporting cast?

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2009, 12:35:32 PM »

Offline PerkinsIsABEAST

• Xavier Tillman

yes 1 time in an incredibly weak eastern conference (actually it was probably the weakest the east has ever been in my lifetime and i'm 25), what did he do the rest of his career?

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
Playing the victim.

Try going to practice.

In his own mind only.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncey Billups
Derrick Rose
Mo Williams
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris
Jose Calderon
Tony Parker
Gilbert Arenas
Manu Ginobili
Tracy McGrady
Ben Gordon
Rip Hamilton
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Eric Gordon
Ray Allen
Brandon Roy
Andre Iguodala
Lebron James
Paul Pierce
Ron Artest
Rashard Lewis
Carmelo Anthony
Danny Granger
Tayshaun Prince
Hedo Tukoglu
Kevin Durant
Caron Butler
Al Jefferson
Amare Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol
Carlos Boozer
Josh Smith
Kevin Garnett
Rasheed Wallace
Shaq
Big Z
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming

Please name what guards on that list that are worse than AI. Other than maybe Eric Gordon I don't think you can support that position.

Um Marbury was AWFUL last year, now if u want to chalk that up to not playing in a year that's legit, but it doesn't change the fact he was beyond awful. Not sure what that has to do with Iverson, he never took a year off. And Marbury just like Iverson has been an incredibly overrated player his entire career, maybe that's why u compared the two?

Overrated by who? They are paid because they produce. This is fact.

Get back to me when your favorite player leads a team to the NBA Finals. Because no one on the Celtics has done it. It took 3 leaders to do it.

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown

yes 1 time in an incredibly weak eastern conference (actually it was probably the weakest the east has ever been in my lifetime and i'm 25), what did he do the rest of his career?

They had the second best record in the NBA with the Lakers. They were only 2 games behind the Spurs.

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2009, 12:39:55 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%

He was actually really good that year, and has a great body of work through his career. He's one of the greatest scorers, and for a guy his size to have that much of an injury free career is a feat in itself. It's too bad he never found the right system, or got a better attitude or he could have one something.

You can fault his attitude, but you really can't fault his gifts as a player.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »

Offline PerkinsIsABEAST

• Xavier Tillman
Playing the victim.

Try going to practice.

In his own mind only.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncey Billups
Derrick Rose
Mo Williams
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris
Jose Calderon
Tony Parker
Gilbert Arenas
Manu Ginobili
Tracy McGrady
Ben Gordon
Rip Hamilton
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Eric Gordon
Ray Allen
Brandon Roy
Andre Iguodala
Lebron James
Paul Pierce
Ron Artest
Rashard Lewis
Carmelo Anthony
Danny Granger
Tayshaun Prince
Hedo Tukoglu
Kevin Durant
Caron Butler
Al Jefferson
Amare Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol
Carlos Boozer
Josh Smith
Kevin Garnett
Rasheed Wallace
Shaq
Big Z
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming

Get back to me when your favorite player leads a team to the NBA Finals. Because no one on the Celtics has done it. It took 3 leaders to do it.

overrated by anyone who thought at any point in Iverson's career he was a top 5 player in the league. Infact ever since Chauncey Billups turned 26 he has been a more valueable player than Iverson has.

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2009, 12:41:44 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.

yes 1 time in an incredibly weak eastern conference, what did he do the rest of his career?

What did Paul Pierce do in his career in the Eastern Conference until last year? I mean that's almost hard to say seeing as these two are my favorites of all time. And of course Pierce is a Celtic but I mean AI's been a warrior and has but sick numbers up during his career. Same with Pierce right? What did they accomplish excluding the past two years as far as championships? No one can win alone, but since the 76ers relied on him soooooo much that's the way he's going to play the rest of his career. I mean respect the dude third all time leading scorer in history is hard as hell to do. And he doesn't have an "attitude".

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2009, 12:43:18 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Playing the victim.

Try going to practice.

In his own mind only.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncey Billups
Derrick Rose
Mo Williams
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris
Jose Calderon
Tony Parker
Gilbert Arenas
Manu Ginobili
Tracy McGrady
Ben Gordon
Rip Hamilton
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Eric Gordon
Ray Allen
Brandon Roy
Andre Iguodala
Lebron James
Paul Pierce
Ron Artest
Rashard Lewis
Carmelo Anthony
Danny Granger
Tayshaun Prince
Hedo Tukoglu
Kevin Durant
Caron Butler
Al Jefferson
Amare Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol
Carlos Boozer
Josh Smith
Kevin Garnett
Rasheed Wallace
Shaq
Big Z
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming

overrated by anyone who thought at any point in Iverson's career he was a top 5 player in the league. Infact ever since Chauncey Billups turned 26 he has been a more valueable player than Iverson has.
The only reasons Chauncey was soooo great this year was because he could get the ball to Melo and J.R. Smith draw a few fouls and hit the three.

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
Playing the victim.

Try going to practice.

In his own mind only.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncey Billups
Derrick Rose
Mo Williams
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris
Jose Calderon
Tony Parker
Gilbert Arenas
Manu Ginobili
Tracy McGrady
Ben Gordon
Rip Hamilton
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Eric Gordon
Ray Allen
Brandon Roy
Andre Iguodala
Lebron James
Paul Pierce
Ron Artest
Rashard Lewis
Carmelo Anthony
Danny Granger
Tayshaun Prince
Hedo Tukoglu
Kevin Durant
Caron Butler
Al Jefferson
Amare Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol
Carlos Boozer
Josh Smith
Kevin Garnett
Rasheed Wallace
Shaq
Big Z
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming

Chauncey Billups could only dream to have the kind of numbers Iverson has.

Dude even has a worse career FG% than Iverson.