Author Topic: Allen Iverson Chokes Up  (Read 27967 times)

Re: Allen Iverson Chokes Up
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 11:22:50 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Unlike Kobe's & Lebron's scripted public image, NBA star Allen Iverson chokes up as he talks about his scholarship program.  How come we never see this side of him on TV?

Tommy Point. I was wondering who would start the discussion on this video. I didn't, only because I expected the response to be mostly negative. A lot of that is unfounded, but then very few fans have ever been indifferent to A.I.

Me, I'll take Iverson over James or Bryant every time.

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 11:34:51 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I wouldn't take AI over Lebron, but Kobe yes.

Iverson is still a great player, people think just because Dumars blew up his already dying Pistons team that it was all Iverson's fault.

Get real.

They were saying the same crap about Paul Pierce just 2-3 years ago.

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 11:42:38 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Playing the victim.

Try going to practice.

Come on don't be so cynical. He may have slipped now, but last time I checked Iverson was the 3rd all time scorer in NBA. Its hard to swallow your pride when you are still better than 90% of the players in the league.

In his own mind only.

Really? The NBA has 450 players. Please name 46 current players better than Iverson.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncey Billups
Derrick Rose
Mo Williams
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris
Jose Calderon
Tony Parker
Gilbert Arenas
Manu Ginobili
Tracy McGrady
Ben Gordon
Rip Hamilton
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Eric Gordon
Ray Allen
Brandon Roy
Andre Iguodala
Lebron James
Paul Pierce
Ron Artest
Rashard Lewis
Carmelo Anthony
Danny Granger
Tayshaun Prince
Hedo Tukoglu
Kevin Durant
Caron Butler
Al Jefferson
Amare Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol
Carlos Boozer
Josh Smith
Kevin Garnett
Rasheed Wallace
Shaq
Big Z
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming

Took me awhile but i did it.
AI's better than most on there

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 11:45:46 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.

Iverson is still a great player, people think just because Dumars blew up his already dying Pistons team that it was all Iverson's fault.

Get real.

I agree 100% how can someone be done being a year removed from the #3 scorer in the NBA? specially with the worst coach this year.

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 12:00:25 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Playing the victim.

Try going to practice.

Come on don't be so cynical. He may have slipped now, but last time I checked Iverson was the 3rd all time scorer in NBA. Its hard to swallow your pride when you are still better than 90% of the players in the league.

In his own mind only.

Really? The NBA has 450 players. Please name 46 current players better than Iverson.

Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Chauncey Billups
Derrick Rose
Mo Williams
Jameer Nelson
Devin Harris
Jose Calderon
Tony Parker
Gilbert Arenas
Manu Ginobili
Tracy McGrady
Ben Gordon
Rip Hamilton
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant
Dwyane Wade
Joe Johnson
Eric Gordon
Ray Allen
Brandon Roy
Andre Iguodala
Lebron James
Paul Pierce
Ron Artest
Rashard Lewis
Carmelo Anthony
Danny Granger
Tayshaun Prince
Hedo Tukoglu
Kevin Durant
Caron Butler
Al Jefferson
Amare Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Chris Bosh
Dirk Nowitzki
Pau Gasol
Carlos Boozer
Josh Smith
Kevin Garnett
Rasheed Wallace
Shaq
Big Z
Dwight Howard
Yao Ming

Took me awhile but i did it.
AI's better than most on there

Then how come he's most likely gonna be starting for the memphis grizzlies? Why don't the Lakers go after him to put them over the top?

Why don't we go get him and Have Rondo come off the bench?

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 12:04:38 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

Get real.

I agree 100% how can someone be done being a year removed from the #3 scorer in the NBA? specially with the worst coach this year.

The world is funny sometimes. People turn on each very quickly. Being a tennessean I really hope Iverson can resurrect that poor franchise before it tries to make an address change.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Get real.

The big difference is that Pierce disproved the critics when he needed to fit in with two other superstars.

AI on the other hand complained about his role on the Pistons and said he'd rather retire. This happened after Denver became a far superior team by swapping him for another PG who has an inferior pedigree.

You consider trading a SINGLE player (Billups for AI, McDyess returned) blowing up the team? If AI is so great, why is swapping PGs "blowing up the team"?

Get real.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 12:11:39 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Get real.

AI isn't done as a player. He is just done as far as teams considering him the missing piece for a championship.

He can still score, but what contribution will you get from the rest of the team?

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 12:23:44 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

I meant from a fan's perspective not a General Manager's.

You consider trading a SINGLE player (Billups for AI, McDyess returned) blowing up the team? If AI is so great, why is swapping PGs "blowing up the team"?

Get real.

I'm not sure the hostility is warranted? I believe he's referring to this off-season, not last.

And, Iverson gets too much of the blame for the Pistons' struggles. By all accounts, players clashed with - now fired - coach Michael Curry almost from the start; Hamilton worst of all. And Rasheed quit on that team too, even if he was still out on the court.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:29:37 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 12:28:10 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
AI isn't done as a player. He is just done as far as teams considering him the missing piece for a championship.

I would say this is true. At least as far as league perception goes. There are still teams, Miami for one, that ought to be pursuing him, but seemingly aren't.

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 12:34:46 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

I meant from a fan's perspective not a General Manager's.

Get real.

I'm not sure the hostility is warranted? I believe he's referring to this off-season, not last.

And, Iverson gets too much of the blame for the Pistons' struggles. By all accounts, players clashed with - now fired - coach Michael Curry almost from the start; Hamilton worst of all. And Rasheed quit on that team too even if he was still out on the court.

Don't blame me for the hostility. The post I was responding to had the "get real" line. I just repeated it back.

AI gets blamed because he has a history and because the majority of us expected that he couldn't fit into the system.

Here we have the main point. How many systems can AI fit into? How many players can he successfully team up with? I love his effort, but more smarts is sometimes better than more effort.

No one blames AI for Dumars "blowing up" the team this offseason. When Billups was traded, it was obvious that AI was a one year thing and that there would be major changes this year. So I do not think he was referring to this offseason.

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 12:37:38 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

I would say this is true. At least as far as league perception goes. There are still teams, Miami for one, that ought to be pursuing him, but seemingly aren't.
Consider Miami is still mostly Wade and filler, AI would be interesting there.

As a side note, Wade is starting to annoy me. Miami mortgages the future to get him a ring a few years ago, and now he expects them to do it again before extending? No one wants to come to Miami without knowing that Wade will stay, and they don't have the resources to make many moves.

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 12:40:03 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I agree that Iverson might not help a lot of teams get over the top, but to those who have been saying that AI is and has always been a cancer and that his team is worse with him tends to forget the Sixers that went to the finals with Mutombo and who else, McKie as the main players.  That season, that team wouldn't make it to the playoffs if it wasn't for Iverson's unrelenting energy.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 12:42:26 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
Thing is, AI needs a system that helps him. I mean, you can't argue that when on court, he doesn't pour his heart out.

And that list is bogus. Eric Gordon? Come on...
Granted Iverson's rep may make contenders not want him, but he's still an amazing player. It sucks that he can't be the alpha dog anymore, but that's what his game is designed to be.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 12:45:55 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I agree that Iverson might not help a lot of teams get over the top, but to those who have been saying that AI is and has always been a cancer and that his team is worse with him tends to forget the Sixers that went to the finals with Mutombo and who else, McKie as the main players.  That season, that team wouldn't make it to the playoffs if it wasn't for Iverson's unrelenting energy.
That is the point. He was good with nobodies around, but hasn't meshed well with better players.

At AI's current age, Brown's system will no longer work with AI. The big question is what system will work. Denver had a lot of talent when AI was there.

He has always been a prima donna, but he was one of the elite few players in the NBA at that time. Now that he has fallen back to the pack, he needs to shed the prima donna way of thinking, because his body can't keep up with his ego anymore.