Author Topic: Brandon Bass to Sign 4 Year Deal with the Magic  (Read 5461 times)

Brandon Bass to Sign 4 Year Deal with the Magic
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:15:51 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/10/magic.bass/index.html

Forward Bass agrees to four-year deal with Magic
By David Aldridge, TNT analyst
Posted Jul 10 2009 12:58PM

The Orlando Magic are trying to keep up in the arms race in the competitive Eastern Conference, agreeing to terms on Friday with free agent forward Brandon Bass on a four-year deal believed to be worth $18 million.

The 23-year-old Bass was one of the most coveted big men in this year's free agency class, having been a valuable role player off the bench for the Mavericks the past two seasons. He played in 81 games for Dallas last year, averaging 8.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in 19 minutes a night. The Mavericks tried to keep him, but Dallas' commitment to Magic free agent center Marcin Gortat to an offer sheet made money scarce. New Orleans, Bass's first team, and Cleveland also were working to sign him.

With Hedo Turkoglu gone to Toronto, there may be an opportunity for a starting job at power forward in Orlando for Bass, with the Magic moving Rashard Lewis back to his normal small forward position. But even if he doesn't start, Bass will provide toughness and size for an Orlando team that now has to contend with Shaquille O'Neal and re-signed forward Anderson Varejao in Cleveland and the return of Kevin Garnett and newly signed Rasheed Wallace in Boston.

The Cavaliers made a last-minute push on Bass, according to a source, but didn't have a way to get him the money he'll get in Orlando. Cleveland has come to terms with free agent guard Anthony Parker and will probably use its mid-level exception on him, leaving only the biannual and veteran minimums for other players.

Bass's contract has an out clause after three seasons.

I do not see the Magic signing Big Baby now after this.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Re: Brandon Bass to Sign 4 Year Deal with the Magic
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:17:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Who's left that was going after Baby? Detroit?

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 01:18:40 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Why would they go after Baby when they have Maxiel?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

Don't know... still there were reports of them wanting him. They lost Dice and Sheed also.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

Don't know... still there were reports of them wanting him. They lost Dice and Sheed also.

They were letting Sheed go... They weren't going to re-sign him.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 01:30:57 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Good news. So I guess New Orleans (S+T), Cleveland and Charlotte are left out of all teams connected to Big Baby in the past 2 weeks.

But Cleveland is limited salary-wise, and the New Orleans trade seems highly unlikely, since we want to keep Big Baby, so I think it's either Charlotte or Boston.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:40:26 PM by P2 »

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 02:25:29 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Good news. So I guess New Orleans (S+T), Cleveland and Charlotte are left out of all teams connected to Big Baby in the past 2 weeks.

But Cleveland is limited salary-wise, and the New Orleans trade seems highly unlikely, since we want to keep Big Baby, so I think it's either Charlotte or Boston.

Detriot still wants Baby and is supposedly trying to clear cap salary to make him a better offer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
The more I think about this signing, the more I like it for Orlando.

That starting five -- Nelson + Vince + Lewis + Bass + Howard -- is going to be incredible offensively. Bass is an excellent fit, with his jump shooting ability, athleticism, defensive ability, and decent rebounding. The Magic get to keep Pietrus in that sixth man role too.

Nicely done. I think this makes Orlando a legitimate contender. I was starting to get down on their hopes after losing all those key role players, but I think they've answered the bell very nicely with this signing. Now all they need is a backup for Dwight Howard.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 674
  • MASTER OF PANIC
bass is another legit big body to take pressure down low off howard. good pick up. i think boston has to have a physical PF like baby

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:37:22 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
bass is another legit big body to take pressure down low off howard. good pick up. i think boston has to have a physical PF like baby

More importantly, Boston needs a banger on the inside (Like leon...sigh) to match with Sheed just in case Sheed wonders out the the perimeter.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 02:51:29 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 674
  • MASTER OF PANIC

More importantly, Boston needs a banger on the inside (Like leon...sigh) to match with Sheed just in case Sheed wonders out the the perimeter.

i agree...just having sheed on the bench as the only big isnt enough...right now other than eddie and sheed..the boston bench still is sketchy....they need powe and or baby...they need a wing and a back up point

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 02:55:07 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • !@#$%

i agree...just having sheed on the bench as the only big isnt enough...right now other than eddie and sheed..the boston bench still is sketchy....they need powe and or baby...they need a wing and a back up point

We also need someone who would accept the minimum. Drew Gooden maybe?

Never Forget

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
So basically they dealt Turkoglu, Gorat, Lee, and Alston FOR Carter, Bass, and Anderson.

IMO, they should find a way to get Pietrus in the lineup more.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • !@#$%
So basically they dealt Turkoglu, Gorat, Lee, and Alston FOR Carter, Bass, and Anderson.

IMO, they should find a way to get Pietrus in the lineup more.

They might have to. I'm thinking they'll probably use a Carter/Pietrus/Jameer/Rashard/Dwight lineup now unless they plan to start bass and go back to conventional.

I just think SVG likes Rashard at the 4 to go conventional

Never Forget

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 03:13:27 PM »

Offline lostjumper

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
This does improve the Magic. But I'm surprised that they went with Bass over BBD. They are about the same build and makeup. They play much the same style of ball. Except, bass has been steady in a backup role, while BBD has played big minutes as a starte and shone at times in the playoffs. I would think you would want the guy who has proven more.

Then again, I'm happy they went with Bass as I'm hoping this will allow us to keep BBD now.