Author Topic: Antonio Daniels through third team facilitator  (Read 1712 times)

Antonio Daniels through third team facilitator
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154

Wondering what you thought about Antonio Daniels. He can handle the ball and run some point, plus he's 6'4" so he can play alongside House. New Orleans seems to be in real cash save mode, I thought we could essentially get him for his contract price if we find a third team under the cap (i.e., Memphis, Sacramento, Oklahoma City) willing to facilitate the deal for about a half million dollars and maybe a young player or draft pick:

Boston trades Brian Scalabrine and $3 million, plus more to be determined to the facilitator and Tony Allen to New Orleans.
Boston gets Antonio Daniels.

New Orleans trades Antonio Daniels to Boston.
New Orleans gets Tony Allen.

Third team gets Brian Scalabrine, $3 million cash and more to be determined.

The deal revolves around that team's willingness to buy out Scalabrine, using the cash received, for about $2.4 million. We then resign Scalabrine at the veteran's minimum (about $1.14 million for an 8 year veteran). So Scal gets around $130,000 to give up his Bird rights.

In the end, we add about $1.8 million to our salary (after resigning Scal - about $1.4 more in luxury tax since I think we only have to make a partial tax payment on Scal's veteran minimum salary), and spend $3 million, to replace Tony Allen with Antonio Daniels. Net cost - about $6.2 million, equivalent to signing him for one year, $3.1 mil on the open market if we had a cap exception and he was a free agent.

New Orleans cuts $4.1 million in salary (and gets that much in a trade exemption), $8.2 with the luxury tax. They'd still be about $3 mil above the luxury tax level but that's better than $7.

The third team pockets $600,000 for the use of $2.4 million of cap space.

That last part is the most difficult to me. Memphis just demanded $2.5 million for the use of a half million in cap space (difference between Greg Buckner's $1.5 mil guarantee for next year and Jerry Stackhouse's $2 mil guarantee). We'd only be giving $600,000 for $2.4 mil worth of space. It makes me think the third team would demand more to become involved.

What would they want though? Do they want a young player or a future first rounder from us (i.e., Walker)? Would they want something from New Orleans, like a young player (maybe rights to Darren Collison), draft pick or cash? What would New Orleans be willing to give? After all, the move does save them $8.2 million, maybe they'd do it for $5 instead and give $3 mil to the third team. Maybe they'd rather give a player, like Julian Wright, adding to their exception and saving much more in terms of luxury tax. (If New Orleans threw in Wright, they'd save another $2 mil in payroll and $4 mil total with luxury tax.)

Any thoughts on whether this type of deal could work and if so, whether you'd be willing to give up Tony Allen and $6 mil for Antonio Daniels.

Or do you think New Orleans would do it for just TA, Scal and cash to save a little salary and pick up money? Would we?
Go Celtics.

Re: Antonio Daniels through third team facilitator
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
That's not a bad idea.  Daniels and House could be a good backcourt tandem.

In my mind though, SF is still the biggest area of need.  I'd be more inclined to trade Tony and Scal straight up to NO for Mo Peterson. 

NO would love to dump that salary for a couple of expirings, and Mo Pete is probably better than what's left of the SF free agents.  Good 3pt shooter, length to defend the 3, veteran.

IDK, I'm starting to get a little concerned about who is going to backup Paul, pickins are getting thin...

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 20
I don't like it. TP for the effort tho. I am mostly against it because I just think we would be giving up too much for him when he is not that good to begin with. Plus, I think Scal and Tony will look very good come trading deadline to get a much better option to help for the stretch run.
Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:27:03 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Good points, both. I'm not big on Peterson - I just think he's done, and he's got another year on his contract and a trade kicker. And I just don't think he can back up at the 3. I want our backup 3 to be able to at least put a body on Lebron James for a few minutes - Peterson isn't nearly big enough. Although, it's not like there are a lot of guys who can put a body on Lebron James.
Go Celtics.