Author Topic: Shane Battier?  (Read 10217 times)

Shane Battier?
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:24:31 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
He can be had for TA+Scal+Pruitt

Granted he is Morey's moneyball guy, but with all the rumblings about Von Wafer being upset at the wing spot logjam, and them already signing Ariza, if Tmac is healthy, 7.5 mill seems a lot for them to be spending on a bench player especially if they may not see Yao for a year.

I know, wishful thinking. But one can dream!
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

Re: Shane Battier?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:27:20 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I have to think that Danny Ainge is shopping around packages like this to see just what other GM's would be willing to do.  Apparently, nothing worth doing has come up just yet.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:34:54 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • !@#$%
I have to think that Danny Ainge is shopping around packages like this to see just what other GM's would be willing to do.  Apparently, nothing worth doing has come up just yet.

It's ok because we have till February when teams realise they won't make the playoffs anyway and start to get desperate.

Never Forget

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I imagine there are a lot of teams out there inquiring about his services and wanting him for the same reasons why Houston will probably not trade him.

He's good
He'll accept a bench role
He's a good shooter
He's a great defender
He's an all around good guy.

I don't think teams are gonna be able to get there hands on him, and as someone said in another thread about him, he's the cornerstone of the Houston team now with Yao going down.

It would indeed be a dream to get him.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:57:04 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
I believe he is too good to be mentioned in a salary dump trade and we simply don't have the ammunition to acquire him without getting rid of someone we view as core(i.e. not Scal, Allen, Giddens, Walker, Pruitt). 

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:01:20 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I imagine there are a lot of teams out there inquiring about his services and wanting him for the same reasons why Houston will probably not trade him.

He's good
He's a good shooter
He's a great defender

I don't think teams are gonna be able to get there hands on him, and as someone said in another thread about him, he's the cornerstone of the Houston team now with Yao going down.

Battier is like the billionaire's Scal.  He'd be perfect on a team like ours, or Cleveland, or San Antonio - he's the perfect role player on a great team.

I don't think he makes sense on a rebuilding team.  It's kind of like how Scal was worthless on the 26-win team here, but really helped a lot last year. 

The big thing is I don't see why you pay both Battier and Ariza to fill more-or-less the same role.  Battier's better, Ariza's younger and they just committed to him a week ago. 

I think they try and move Battier, knowing they can get cap space AND something really good in return for him (high draft picks, high-quality prospects, etc).  Clear the cap space, they don't have many contracts other than Battier and Yao after this year, then make a run at Bosh, see if he wants to come back to Texas.

So, I expect to see Battier traded, but we don't have the "sweeteners" that the trade will require.  He's NOT a cap-dump guy.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 03:04:26 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • !@#$%

He's good
He's a good shooter
He's a great defender

Battier is like the billionaire's Scal.  He'd be perfect on a team like ours, or Cleveland, or San Antonio - he's the perfect role player on a great team.

I don't think he makes sense on a rebuilding team.  It's kind of like how Scal was worthless on the 26-win team here, but really helped a lot last year. 

The big thing is I don't see why you pay both Battier and Ariza to fill more-or-less the same role.  Battier's better, Ariza's younger and they just committed to him a week ago. 

I think they try and move Battier, knowing they can get cap space AND something really good in return for him (high draft picks, high-quality prospects, etc).  Clear the cap space, they don't have many contracts other than Battier and Yao after this year, then make a run at Bosh, see if he wants to come back to Texas.

So, I expect to see Battier traded, but we don't have the "sweeteners" that the trade will require.  He's NOT a cap-dump guy.

This also all depends on whether or not Tmac is healthy. Last season they worked out a way to have Tmac, Battier and Artest on the floor. It may or may not have worked (sample size was too small), but once Tmac was injured, they started Battier and Artest, which they could do with Ariza / Battier if Tmac is injured again (or even traded).

Never Forget

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Agreed, it's gonna cost something good to get him. Remember, Houston gave up Rudy Gay (that pick anyway) to get him just three years ago, and his value has only gone up since then. He does turn 31 soon, but he is very very well respected and not just by Daryl Morey. He's the guy who even stat guys that can't compute his contributions think is an incredible player.  
Go Celtics.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games

I was wondering the same thing when they traded for Artest.  I felt like they were cabon copies of eachother in a lot of ways (although of course they have huge personality differences.)

But in the sense that they could both play either the 2 or 3, provide great defense, etc.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • !@#$%

I was wondering the same thing when they traded for Artest.  I felt like they were cabon copies of eachother in a lot of ways (although of course they have huge personality differences.)

But in the sense that they could both play either the 2 or 3, provide great defense, etc.

Tmac insurance.

Never Forget

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 03:14:19 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games

Tmac insurance.

No doubt, and it turns out that it was the right call.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 03:17:10 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Would love to see him on the Celtics.

Celtics just do not have the ammo they would be willing to give up to get him.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Could we S&T Baby for Battier?

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • !@#$%
Could we S&T Baby for Battier?

Not unless baby gets a deal above the MLE (would require 6mill to get Battier).

Never Forget

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 03:24:23 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Would really like to get Battier.  He would be the perfect SF/SG backup for Pierce and Ray Allen.  Big Baby is a pretty good player but I think the Rockets want size for Yao Ming insurance.  Have they signed Gortat yet or not?

You'd think that by signing Ariza, the Rockets have made Battier expendable?