Author Topic: House Swapping: Trading House and TA for a Real Combo Guard  (Read 8597 times)

Re: House Swapping: Trading House and TA for a Real Combo Guard
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 09:48:02 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Same Celt players but do it for Shane Battier!

That would be even better, I just don't think teams will want to explore these types of deals till the deadline.  Everyone will know a little bit better at that point whether they want to make a push for the playoffs or give up completely.  Until then, teams aren't going to be incredibly interested in giving us something really good for our expiring deals.

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 09:50:14 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Same Celt players but do it for Shane Battier!

Thats not too far fetched. Here's a scenario:

The injury plagued Rockets have a horrible season - on target to miss the playoffs (no more Yao, McGrady or Artest). At the deadline, we could probably flip Scal and Tony and a lottery protected 1st rounder for Battier. The Rockets then have 7 million more in cap space for the 2010 bonanza.

Anyway, closer to the deadline we might find some hungry suitors looking for expiring contracts.

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 10:06:59 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Great trade but Phnx would never go for it... Tony Allen's value is at an all time low, expiring contract or no expiring contract.

I'm just not sure if Kerr is going after on-court assets at this point.  They traded Shaq for 2.25 mil in instant saving, with more coming if Pavlovic is waived (Shamsports says he's unguaranteed) and if Wallace retires.  They are still over the luxury tax threshold and 2 players shy of the minimum roster.  They're also not going to be a player in 2010 free agency if they dont make a move.  If they stay put they'll probably finish aroung 9th or 10th in the West again, get a middle of the road draft pick, and have 10 mil to spend on a free agent provided they renounce Steve Nash.  That's not an ideal position.

My guess is that they'll try moving two of Barbosa, Richardson and Amare this season.  They can try for cheapish young players signed long-term (the collapsed Golden St. trade was a move in this direction) or they can go for expiring contracts and draft picks, in hopes of saving money, tanking and carving space for the FA market.  

TA and House can save them a lot of money.  If we threw in some cash considerations I think they might be tempted.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 10:14:26 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
The way the rockets are going I'd be heading after battier hard core.  I  have no problem AT ALL moving tony allen and eddie i can see for the right deal but if we had battier we don't need hill and this is a starter who would come off bench.  PP has a serious injury I'd feel very safe w/ battier starting. i have no problem w/ barbosa
move tony for something,i'd rather giddens, walker or pruitt gets his time at cheaper rates!

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
If you loved Posey then you would love Battier.  Battier is an upgrade over Posey.  I take Battier over Hill in a heartbeat as well. 

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 11:01:23 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
The way the rockets are going I'd be heading after battier hard core.  I  have no problem AT ALL moving tony allen and eddie i can see for the right deal but if we had battier we don't need hill and this is a starter who would come off bench.  PP has a serious injury I'd feel very safe w/ battier starting. i have no problem w/ barbosa
move tony for something,i'd rather giddens, walker or pruitt gets his time at cheaper rates!

I don't think the Rockets are going to dump Battier.  Morey strikes me as a guy who wants on-court assets more than off-court savings.  He spent several million of his owner's money to grab 2nd round picks in the draft, they just spend some money on Ariza.  Their moves have been much different in character than the Suns and Bucks moves.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

I don't think the Rockets are going to dump Battier.  Morey strikes me as a guy who wants on-court assets more than off-court savings.  He spent several million of his owner's money to grab 2nd round picks in the draft, they just spend some money on Ariza.  Their moves have been much different in character than the Suns and Bucks moves.

Aren't Ariza and Battier at least a little bit redundant?

They both mostly play SF.  Both listed at 6'8", Ariza listed at 210#, Battier at 220#.  Both known primarily as defensive players.  Battier's a good 3-pt shooter, Ariza's pretty mediocre from outside but seems to be working on that part of his game and getting better.  Neither is someone you think of as a playmaker, someone who's going to get their own shot off.

You wouldn't really play those guys together, would you?

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday

They both mostly play SF.  Both listed at 6'8", Ariza listed at 210#, Battier at 220#.  Both known primarily as defensive players.  Battier's a good 3-pt shooter, Ariza's pretty mediocre from outside but seems to be working on that part of his game and getting better.  Neither is someone you think of as a playmaker, someone who's going to get their own shot off.

EXACTLY!

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 11:26:04 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Perhaps not, but you wouldn't give up either of those guys for a couple of expiring contracts who can't crack a crappy bench rotation either, would you?  That's all we have to trade right now.  A couple of end-of-the-bench guys who combine for about 6 million in expiring money.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 11:29:39 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday

Perhaps not, but you wouldn't give up either of those guys for a couple of expiring contracts who can't crack a crappy bench rotation either, would you?  That's all we have to trade right now.  A couple of end-of-the-bench guys who combine for about 6 million in expiring money.

6 million could come in handy next summer.  Every million counts in the summer of 2010.  I believe Battier is on the books for 2 more years at 6.9M for 09/10 and 7.4M for 10/11.

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 11:30:31 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
I think it all depends entirely on whether Houston decides to blow the whole thing up or not.  Signing Ariza is really odd; he's the kind of player that makes a lot of sense to have on a team like...  oh, the Lakers, a very good role player/ complementary piece.  Houston's not going to have Yao, McGrady's always hurt, they just lost Artest...  what's the point of having a guy like Ariza on that squad?  It's like when we had Scal on the 26-win team, he didn't do a [dang] thing to help, but put him on last year's squad and he was one of our most important bench players.  

Why DID they sign Ariza?  

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 11:33:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

6 million could come in handy next summer.  Every million counts in the summer of 2010.  I believe Battier is on the books for 2 more years at 6.9M for 09/10 and 7.4M for 10/11.

That assumes the Rockets are going after one of the big name free agents.  They might not be.  Also, they already have one albatross contract to move in McGrady.  I imagine the only reason they'd take on Scal and TA would be to sweeten a McGrady deal to the tune of roughly $25 mil or so in expiring money.  Still, I feel like Battier is too valuable to give up just for some cap space.  The Rockets might not be contenders anymore, but they aren't desperate for cash, either.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 11:35:28 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Chris Bosh is from Texas, isn't he?

Just sayin'...

EDIT: It doesn't look like Houston has a lot of money tied up after this coming season.  Ariza, another year of Yao, Battierm but that's about it of note.  Landry at $3M, and I'm not sure about younger guys who might need extensions.  Certainly, if they unload Battier they should have plenty of cap space.

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
I think it all depends entirely on whether Houston decides to blow the whole thing up or not.  Signing Ariza is really odd; he's the kind of player that makes a lot of sense to have on a team like...  oh, the Lakers, a very good role player/ complementary piece.  Houston's not going to have Yao, McGrady's always hurt, they just lost Artest...  what's the point of having a guy like Ariza on that squad?  It's like when we had Scal on the 26-win team, he didn't do a [dang] thing to help, but put him on last year's squad and he was one of our most important bench players.  

Why DID they sign Ariza?  

Young and athletic swingman.  They got some nice young pieces there:

Brooks
Lowry
Landry
Ariza

Draft Picks are Buddinger and Taylor

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 11:39:18 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday