Author Topic: House Swapping: Trading House and TA for a Real Combo Guard  (Read 8654 times)

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't want to trade or replace Eddie.  Last year he was our most productive bench player, he's a good value for his contract and he has a proven record in his role with the team.

There are by now obvious factors that lead me to suggest trading him now.  It's a good time to be a contender with expiring contracts.  With the economy in the tank, the 2010 free agent class looming, and owners' competitive impetus driving them to shoulder increasing luxury tax burdens to one-up the opposition, the asking price (in terms of trade assets) for talented players on long-term contracts has never been lower. 

Thus, I believe we have a unique opportunity to trade in House for an upgrade.  Now his contract could be used in conjunction with TA and Scal to bring in a bigger piece at a different position, but I'm assuming we add a 3 (hopefully Grant Hill), so I'll narrow my target to one combo guard I have my eye on.  Given the addition of a competent 3 with the LLE, I think we could and should obtain Leandro Barbosa.

Proposed Trade (I also suggested this on the RealGM board):

Barbosa (6.6 mil, plus 7.1 mil and 7.6 mil in the following seasons) for Eddie House and TA (combined 5.36 mil) - all numbers per Shamsports.

Why for Boston:  Barbosa is 27, with career averages of 13 ppg on 47% shooting (40% from downtown), 2.4 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1 steal and 1.5 turnovers in 26mpg.  According to 82games.com, he boasts a 48% eFG on jumpers and a ridiculous 66% eFG for inside shots (no small sample, they make up a third of his shots).  He is 6'3, blazingly fast and long-armed, making him capable of guarding the 1 and 2, even if he doesn't always do the greatest job.  Though he is a poor choice for point guard, he still possesses a greater knack for the position than either House or TA. His shooting, penetrating and decent passing ability make him an multi-faceted option on pick and roll plays and his speed allows him to advance the ball faster than House.  His size and shooting ability would also enable him to play off of Rondo.  Given the addition of Hill, Barbosa would complete an unmatched 8-man playoff rotation for Boston.

Why for Phoenix: Phoenix is currently trapped in between luxury tax hell and rebuilding.  Even with just 11 players on the roster (and most of them spare parts), the Suns payroll clocks in at 75 mil, about 7 mil over the expected luxury tax threshold.  Their cap space in 2010 doesn't look that great either.  Barring the unlikely event that Amare opts out of 17 mil guaranteed, they'll have commitments of around 41 mil, which I believe is only enough room for a max player if they renounce Steve Nash.  Unloading Barbosa for House and TA would save them a little over 1.2 mil in salary (2.5  once you count the luxury tax) as well as bumping their roster up to 12 and saving the costs of whatever minimum player they would have dragged in for that spot.  Furthermore it would shave 7.1 mil off their cap for next year, putting them at around 35 mil and carving enough space to resign Nash (or a younger PG) and a max player to team up with the still relatively young core of Stoudemire and Richardson for 1 year, with the option to reload again the next year.  Of course they'd probably prefer to unload Amare or Richardson, but I think this would provide them quick, attainable savings
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

Re: House Swapping: Trading House and TA for a Real Combo Guard
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »

Offline serpico

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
Great idea!

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 08:11:40 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Hrm.

Maybe.  I'm not sure Phoenix would exchange Barbosa for House and TA just to save a couple million bucks, but they made that Shaq trade so who knows.

They can at least use House, but they'd definitely be getting about 50% talent back with this trade (if that).

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 08:34:03 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
best trade idea i've heard on here in awhile
1. involves getting rid of tony
2. does not involve ray allen
3. does not involve rajon rondo

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
As much as i love this idea, I just can't see that happening. BUT if Phoenix wanted to have a fire sale and help us even more...
They could S/t Hill and we could give them House, Tony and Scal, that way Hill could still make his desired money but still come to a championship team...

My other idea since I doubt Phoenix takes either of those ideas, what about keeping House and trying to work out a trade for Marco Belinelli?
We keep House to spread the floor at SG on offense, PG for Defense and MB could run our offense behind Rondo. We pick up a SF like Barnes, Hill or Bowen, and we'd have a great bench squad that could hold a 30pt lead, and we'd still have the best starting 5 in the nba

Marco Belinelli
House
Hill/Bowen/Barnes
Powe
Sheed
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:54:25 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
House by far is still the most important key bench/role player on this team. His 6-10pts either mean a W or an L and he always hits them at clutch moments. House and Powe were our two best bench players. (pre-wallace era of course....)
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:57:24 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Now can we discuss a deal that has a prayer of happening :)

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Very interesting idea. I love House, but Barbosa would be a good, younger pickup.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:47:05 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
i an all for this. I have been advocating Barbosa all along. He is 26, a great scorer, lightening quick and a decent defender. I would love his game on the celts. I would be willing to trade anyone other than the starters, BBD, Rasheed,or Walker for him.

TA and House/Scal for Barbosa. I would do that in a heartbeat
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I would be all for this.  I think it would be a great solution, but he is so young and promising that I have my doubts that Phoenix would want to give him up, even for cap relief.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:12:24 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
He's not a decent defender. He's a poor defender. The Suns, already a bad defensive team, allowed about 5 more points per 100 possessions with him on the court. Considering that in many of those minutes he's replacing Steve Nash, and that's a pretty [dang]ing indictment of his defensive ability. Not saying he couldn't learn - he's got physical tools for it - but defense is not a part of Barbosa's game.

I'd still do the trade.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i love this deal, but i think the suns hang up the phone laughing at the proposal

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Celts would have to do it even though I love Eddie.  I also don't know if the Suns would or not.  Considering the Shaq trade, you never know...
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 09:42:17 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
Same Celt players but do it for Shane Battier!

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 09:44:31 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Great trade but Phnx would never go for it... Tony Allen's value is at an all time low, expiring contract or no expiring contract.