Author Topic: Gamestop  (Read 5650 times)

Gamestop
« on: July 03, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Just traded 11 games, got 3 in return... not sure this is the best place in the world..

your thoughts if you've dealt with them?
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: Gamestop
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
They low ball yah, I only go there if I can't find a friend who'd have interest in the game first.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Just traded 11 games, got 3 in return... not sure this is the best place in the world..

I'd sell them on Ebay before I'd sell them to Gamestop. They are buying your game for 10 cents on the dollar then selling them back to you for full price. Pretty similar to selling back text books.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Gamestop rips people off.  As an experiment I've been buying and selling things exclusively on craigslist.  I started with $40 dollars like a month ago... I've turned it into $1800.  True story.

Simple strategy... I found people willing to sell their consoles/games for more than gamestop would offer them...

then I found people willing to buy consoles/games for less than Gamestop sells them.  $1800+ and counting

Just post your games on craigslist.  You can get $20-$40 for each usually.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 07:56:08 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I went in there like a year ago, and some guy tried to sell a game  and they offered $.25.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
i sold gamestop street fighter 4... they gave $20 bucks for it even though they sell it USED for $54.   Kinda dumb.  If I had patience at the time I could have easily found someone willing to pay $35.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 08:36:12 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Gamestop rips people off.  As an experiment I've been buying and selling things exclusively on craigslist.  I started with $40 dollars like a month ago... I've turned it into $1800.  True story.

Simple strategy... I found people willing to sell their consoles/games for more than gamestop would offer them...

then I found people willing to buy consoles/games for less than Gamestop sells them.  $1800+ and counting

good idea - only problem is umm craigslist people =)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 08:39:04 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
You are paying for the convenience.

Since there is no coercion involved, I don't see how it is a ripoff when they pay a price we are willing to accept.

Ebay or craigslist is a better way to go if you are willing to do the work. Just watch out for scams.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
The best thing to do is apply for their "Edge" card, you get an extra 10-20%, sometimes they do specials where you get 30+%. Also, if you have a game that you just bought, and are already bored with it, sell it to gamestop ASAP. The longer you wait, the less their offer. Usually they give you 1/3 of the price you payed(as long as its within 6 months of games release), and they then multiply it by 2.5 and thats their sale price.

P.S. Dont buy used games there. Their usually only 5-10 dollars less than buying them brand new. And as for me, I deal with Craigslist, or friends only. lol.

ummmm... did you get that backwards? if their selling their consoles/games for MORE than gamestop, why dont u just get it at gamestop? And your selling them for less?

Not tryin to be a smart ass, sometimes i get a quick case of dyslexia too.  ;)

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 09:25:23 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
The best thing to do is apply for their "Edge" card, you get an extra 10-20%, sometimes they do specials where you get 30+%. Also, if you have a game that you just bought, and are already bored with it, sell it to gamestop ASAP. The longer you wait, the less their offer. Usually they give you 1/3 of the price you payed(as long as its within 6 months of games release), and they then multiply it by 2.5 and thats their sale price.

P.S. Dont buy used games there. Their usually only 5-10 dollars less than buying them brand new. And as for me, I deal with Craigslist, or friends only. lol.

ummmm... did you get that backwards? if their selling their consoles/games for MORE than gamestop, why dont u just get it at gamestop? And your selling them for less?

Obviously I don't speak for LarBrd33, but I think he said it right.

Gamestop offers you $1 for a game, but then sells it for $10.
LarBrd33 offers you $2 for a game (so more than Gamestop), but sells it for $5 (less than Gamestop), so he makes money by being a video game broker.

I remember dealing with the man in the CB Draft last year and remember all the wheeling and dealing and I'm not surprised.  Proud of you LarBrd, make that money!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 09:49:58 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
But isn't it still 5-10 dollars less for the same game?  That's worth it to me.

Plus they let you return it (opened) within a certain amount of time if you don't like it (used games only).  Buying new from anywhere won't let you do that.

I like the place.  Lots of good deals on old games that aren't in regular stores.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 03:32:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Obviously I don't speak for LarBrd33, but I think he said it right.

Gamestop offers you $1 for a game, but then sells it for $10.
LarBrd33 offers you $2 for a game (so more than Gamestop), but sells it for $5 (less than Gamestop), so he makes money by being a video game broker.

I remember dealing with the man in the CB Draft last year and remember all the wheeling and dealing and I'm not surprised.  Proud of you LarBrd, make that money!

lol this was exactly my motivation.  I figured if I could turn Yao Ming, Michael Redd and Stephon Marbury into Deron Williams, Rip Hamilton, Andre Iguodala, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard and Antawn Jamison using a series of trades... I could probably do something like that on craigslist.

So yeah.  You have it right.  Gamestop will give you $150 for your PS3 and then sell it for $400+tax...   I've found people willing to sell their PS3 for $200 ... and then found people willing to buy a PS3 for $300.   It's been interesting.

Oh yeah... and at one point I had $455 dollars invested into a PS3 with 17 games and 9 blu-ray movies... and traded it for a laptop that I sold on ebay for $1500...  so that was pretty big.  lol... glad that trade didn't get vetoed. 

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 04:12:39 PM »

Offline kheeko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 69
LBird,

are you meeting up with these craigslist people directly?

if so thats not very wise, theres plenty of stories daily of people being mugged, killed, shot etc through craigslist

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 06:01:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
LBird,

are you meeting up with these craigslist people directly?

if so thats not very wise, theres plenty of stories daily of people being mugged, killed, shot etc through craigslist

Gamestop is 'okay' and it is very convenient. I pretty much exclusively buy [some]used games only there and only when they have been recently reduced.

Everything else I do is on ebay. You have to pay the stupid seller fees, but it is worth it in the end and everything is guaranteed and there are no 'safety' issues as noted above. Buying used games is best here, too, as they are almost always cheaper than gamestop (but Gamestop is more convenient).

Another note, if you are looking for sporting event/concert tickets, always check ebay before stubhub- it is always wayyyy cheaper...

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 08:25:32 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Here's a couple horror stories for ya. I hate the place by the way...

1. To get NBA 2k9 on ps2, i had to trade in like 10 or 15 xbox and ps2 games. and that was just to get 35 dollars store credit to buy it. Pathetic.

2. I went in one day, saw TonyHawkUnderGround2, used for 20 bucks. Asked the guy if it was good, he liked recommended it, so i bought it. When he went to get the actual game out for me, he couldn't find the used copy so he gave me a brand new one(sounds good right? WRONG)
I get home, play the game for 30 minutes, and hated it. It out right sucked compared to the originals. So, I go to take it back b/c if you get a used game and dont' like it withing X amount of days, you can return it. So I go in, as to return it, and the guy says I can't b/c he gave me a new copy. EVEN THOUGH I paid for a used copy, and it was their fault i had a new copy of a sorry game, He could only give me cash for credit for it...get ready. 2.50 cash, 5 bucks store credit.

I hate that place. That was one of the games that I traded in along with 10 or so others to get nba 2k9, which by the way SUCKS on ps2. Too glitchy with the shooting stick, and too many ppl have the same shot. They only put effort into making like 10 ppls shots, and gave every1 else a selection of 4 other types of shooting motions.
Can't stop, Rondo!