Author Topic: Rockets Put Brooks + Battier On The Trading Block?  (Read 8119 times)

Re: Rockets Put Brooks + Battier On The Trading Block?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
If Houston wants to do a pure salary dump, we could take McGrady and Battier off their hands for Ray Allen and the Celtics Poo-Poo Platter (Tony Allen, Scal, and Billy Walker).  If they don't re-sign Artest (they shouldn't, RonRon on a thirty-win team is never a smart idea), they'd have basically a clean slate come the summer of 2010.  We'd basically be swapping Ray Allen for Battier, and at this point in their careers that's not a horrible trade - especially if you can get anything out of T-Mac. 

Yeah, trading Ray and our expirings could save the Rockets a lot of money this season while not making them absolutely horrible.  In return, we could get Battier and a couple other guys, and then either a sign and trade of Artest or McGrady.

If we get Battier and Artest, then our team is set for a backup SF and we're much better defensively.  If we get McGrady, we're not as good right now but once McGrady comes back we could be even better.

It's interesting to consider, at the very least.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I would rather rebuild then acquire Brooks to be our starting PG.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Wow, everyone down on Brooks, He's a hell of a player and can really shoot.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 04:18:22 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
how about Scals, TA and Bill Walker for Battier?

HOU clears Battier's contract from 2010 FA, gets an interesting prospect in Walker and moves into Lottery territory for this coming season...

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 04:25:46 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

HOU clears Battier's contract from 2010 FA, gets an interesting prospect in Walker and moves into Lottery territory for this coming season...

I just think they're going to want more than that.  There's lots of teams that can offer them cap relief.  Battier's a guy who *should* have value to a lot of GMs.  So, they're going to want something more of a sweetener than just a 2nd-round pick who barely saw the court last year. 

Even if we toss in a draft pick (if we can), it's not likely to be a very good one.  That's why I think you've got to take it the next step and include Ray and get back McGrady (or maybe Artest, although I have to say....  the prospect of RonRon in green scares the living bejesus out of me). 

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 04:35:48 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

I just think they're going to want more than that.  There's lots of teams that can offer them cap relief.  Battier's a guy who *should* have value to a lot of GMs.  So, they're going to want something more of a sweetener than just a 2nd-round pick who barely saw the court last year. 

Even if we toss in a draft pick (if we can), it's not likely to be a very good one.  That's why I think you've got to take it the next step and include Ray and get back McGrady (or maybe Artest, although I have to say....  the prospect of RonRon in green scares the living bejesus out of me). 

but why would they want Ray?

if they want to be bad next year to get a high lottery pick then i would think unloading Battier for expiring contract plus a young inexpensive player would be the kind of package they would be looking for...

you might be right about HOU being able to get a better young player than Walker, but they probably don't want anybody who has a significant salary.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 04:38:34 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I'd do either of the trades mentioned in here - Rondo and filler for Brooks and Battier or Ray and filler for TMac and Battier (and I don't really like McGrady). I just think Battier's defensive ability would be enormous in this system, seeing as Thibodeau was one of the guys who best took advantage of Battier's skills. And while I think Rondo is far far better than Brooks, I don't think it's enough to turn down Battier. I do tend to agree, though, that since it takes away our expiring contracts, I'd want a little something else in addition, though Houston doesn't really have a backup center to give us. If Kyle Lowry was in there, I'd be happy.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Boy I'd do any bench player, cash and draft picks to get Battier.  I would not go after brooks if rondo was involved nor put a starter towards Battier.  :-\ He would be great on our team, far far better than Posey.  Can't say enough.  If Houston is dumping than who knows?  
Put pieces any way but eddie, davis (both depending) powe (no value injury) tony, giddens, pruitt, scal baby, walker you name the group! rights to euro guy, lucky etc
I like Grant Hill and thought he could possibly be gotten but any chance to get Battier danny needs to get on the phone.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 05:00:07 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen

but why would they want Ray?

if they want to be bad next year to get a high lottery pick then i would think unloading Battier for expiring contract plus a young inexpensive player would be the kind of package they would be looking for...

you might be right about HOU being able to get a better young player than Walker, but they probably don't want anybody who has a significant salary.

McGrady makes about $3.5M more next year than Ray Allen, so they want to include those guys to save a little coin.  They'd still have a trade chip to use (or not) at the next trade deadline.  And, it's never easy to tell your fans that you're giving up on the season before it's even begun, if you get Ray Allen you're brining in a 9-time All Star (granted, one with a few miles on him) and not completely giving up on making the playoffs.  If Brooks keeps improving, and Scola gives them somewhat of a presence down low, add Ray Allen in and they *might* still be a playoff squad; not much worse that they'd be without Yao and without T-Mac and without RonRon, which is what they're likely looking at today.  They still need to sell season tickets.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 05:22:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This sudden push to trade Rondo is crap. Wake up people. Appreciate the fact that we have a top 5 point guard in the league.

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 05:26:13 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Wow, everyone down on Brooks, He's a hell of a player and can really shoot.

look at his assist totals, especially in the playoffs. he's very talented, but not really a true PG.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 05:31:12 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I do this. Brooks is good so is Battier. Maybe also get Scola for baby. that would fill all our holes.

Really? You're going to trade a free agent? And the rockets are going to trade for a free agent that they can sign with the MLE?

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I wouldn't trade Rondo for Brooks and Battier!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 06:10:32 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
I'm myself into the Ray+crap for Battier+McGrady deal.  The C's five primary rotation players would be Perk, KG, Pierce, Battier, and Rondo; that's not just five excellent individual defenders, four of those guys are among the best team defenders at their respective positions (with Rondo being more of the gambling type).  You'd still like to see someone who could handle the quicker 2s, but that's one helluva defensive lineup; who's going to score against that team?

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 06:39:41 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Artest instead of Battier and next years first and I am SOLD.