Author Topic: Wolverine  (Read 2720 times)

Wolverine
« on: June 29, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Anyone seen Wolverine?  I just bought the bootlegged version in Guatemala and got to see the movie.  I actually liked it.  It's not a deep movie by any means.  However, I thought it was really entertaining and the storyline was good enough.  There are some characters that I wish stayed longer, but it wouldn't work with the storyline if they added them in.  The action was good and I thought there were some real bad ass scenes with Wolverine.

Like I said before, don't expect great acting, great cinematography or anything like that.  However, the movie was entertaining with lots of action and a storyline that goes well as long as you don't concentrate on the plot holes, which is exactly what the cartoons were like.
Baby Jesus!

Re: Wolverine
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 02:52:31 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I saw it and liked it, although the sequel is said to be much better. I really didn't like Gambit in this movie, which is a shame because Gambit was always my second favorite behind Wolverine.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 03:01:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I heard it stunk and didn't see it.  But I also heard X-Men 3 stunk and when I finally got around to watching it... it wasn't really THAT bad.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I heard it stunk and didn't see it.  But I also heard X-Men 3 stunk and when I finally got around to watching it... it wasn't really THAT bad.

I think the main criticism (which i agree with) of X-3 is that stuff just happens with no build-up to cram alot of popular parts of the comic in. It really could have done with being longer or being another movie.

Instead it's somewhat jarring to have it go:

Jean's alive!
uh...she's evil now! bye scott
retcon of her alternate personality to explain her powers instead of the actual Phoenix story
kill's off professor
Joins magneto for some ill defined reason (most jarring for me, why would she submit to magneto, even for show as is implied later?)
becomes good again i guess?

Without the build up steps in between. Still, overall i felt it was good.

I really don't blame it though, 2 hours is not alot of time to fit in:

The Phoenix saga
A showdown with magneto
3 new mutants
The dark phoenix saga
The death of cyclops and Prof. X.

so it ended up being a big jumbled mess. Honestly i thought they backed themselves into a corner by trying to do both Phoenix saga's in one movie.

The phoenix saga, and dark Phoenix was a huge defining moment for the xmen franchise, it took one of their top hero's, made her a unconscionable villain who killed 6 billion people because she could, and gave her god powers. Not really something i would have just tossed in.

I'm guessing the studio forced that in, knowing that fans would want to see jean as phoenix. But by glossing over the entire back story with the retcon that the phoenix force was just some alternate, ultra powerful version of jean's personality that was locked away, they ripped away the actual phoenix story.

Plus, they gave jean her daughter's freaking powers for some reason.....weren't the original phoenix's massive telepathic and telekinetic powers enough without tossing on racheal's matter control for no reason?

that /rant aside, as i said, I really can't blame x-3 for trying to do to much in to little time. At least it was a fun and interesting movie.

now, back on wolverine, I liked the main story, but i didn;t like how gambit and deadpool were just kinda thrown in for the heck of it. I felt that wolverine suffered from spiderman 3's problem of "far to many villans/ heroic foils in one movie." disease. They would have done better focusing on one or two foils, instead of throwing them at him from everywhere.

But i still enjoyed it, was a good wolvie and action movie in general.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 03:22:03 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Special effects mean little to me when there is a bad script. I enjoyed the first 2 X-men movies tremendously but I thought the 3rd was horrible. It was a weird situation where so much happened that it seemed nothing happened.

Perhaps your low expectations helped you.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:25:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Special effects mean little to me when there is a bad script. I enjoyed the first 2 X-men movies tremendously but I thought the 3rd was horrible. It was a weird situation where so much happened that it seemed nothing happened.

Perhaps your low expectations helped you.

right, TP4U, that's how i felt.

If i were the studio, i would have made X-3 all about Jean turning into Phoenix. I realize the shi'iar empire and a space trip across the galaxy for the x-men would probably make Hollywood uncomfortable since the trend is to do dark and brooding superhero movies right now,  and to do the actual Phoneix story would require a trip to outer space and meeting up with the star jammers, but then you could have had a kick ass movie 4 focused around her descent into madness and turning into dark phoenix.

Instead we got a jumbled mess that tried to throw 15 years of comics into 2 hours along with a totally separate plot.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I didn't really like Wolverine at all (it was ok, but it could have and should have been so much better).  I thought they should have added at least 15 minutes of actual plot and story to it.  It is an Origins movie, that had almost nothing to do with Wolverine's Origin.  They really could have made it significantly better, had they gone the more Spiderman 1/Batman Begins type back story.  And then they had just meaningless stuff in there like when they killed the couple of the farm.  No point in that as it was shown.  Just an overall trainwreck on what should have been a great action movie.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 02:33:29 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I liked X3.  I don't remember that much, but like the Wolvie movie, I remember having some kind of semi-sensible plot with good action in it.  I wasn't a big fan of the first X-Men movie though. 

One thing about the X-Man movie that is different from Spider Man and Batman is that those are only one superhero, meaning that they can focus more on character development and complete plots surrounding that one character.  In X-Man, there are way too many characters so at one end, you want to incorporate a lot of different characters, but on the other hand you want to make sensible story line with some development on characters.  That is why these movies satisfy me.  I am not looking for deep abstract movie.  Just like in the cartoon, the only thing that you can hope for is a storyline that makes sense and lots of action.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:52:48 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I thought Wolverine was OK too.

6.5/10