Author Topic: Dahntay Jones will cost how much????  (Read 6681 times)

Re: Dahntay Jones will cost how much????
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I expect him to be in the $2-3 million range on a short contract, one to two years, possibly a third if he gets real lucky. Most likely an LLE type contract.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 08:25:33 AM »

Offline toinewalka

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I have to say this move doesn't make much sense to me.  I think House is a much better offensive fit for the Celtics (not to mention a better offensive player overall).  TA also plays our situational D.  No fit here.

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 08:29:19 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
This just reinforces the fact that I don't want Dahntay Jones.  He is just another 10th man, but was a perfect fit in Denver, and will probably get overpaid because of it (same thing with Andersen).

The C's need a backup wing who has more offensive ability.  Defense is great, but when you have a bunch of guys who can't shoot, it just kills all momentum.

Anyways, I don't buy a word of this.  Danny knows Jones' weaknesses well, and is not going to overpay him.  I am sure he will throw the vet minimum at him, but I doubt he will offer much more than that.

Agreed. If defense is all we want, isn't Ross out there? Hopefully we'll soon be rid of Tony Allen, but it would seem like there are better options than Jones.

We need someone who can hit the perimeter trey as well as defend.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 09:33:34 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
That's ridiculous.  If we balked at giving Posey one extra year at $7 million, I can't imagine Danny is stupid enough to commit $8 million to Jones.  I'd rather sign Q Ross for the minimum; I think he's equally as good.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
I am really really hoping this is nothing more than agent speak.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 09:53:15 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
That's ridiculous.  If we balked at giving Posey one extra year at $7 million, I can't imagine Danny is stupid enough to commit $8 million to Jones.  I'd rather sign Q Ross for the minimum; I think he's equally as good.

I agree.

Why would we give Dahntay Jones the type of money we weren't willing to give Posey. It's not like he did a great job on Kobe either, he and the Nuggets were lit up in the WCF.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

I agree. Roy Hobbs strikes again.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 10:02:18 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I agree. Roy Hobbs strikes again.

Yeah, and I'm not convinced that Jones would necessarily even be an upgrade over the Allen/Giddens/Walker combo we already have. 

Definitely not worth big money. 

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 10:37:03 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Stephen A is tool. Con artist that scammed his way into ESPN. Everything that comes out of his mouth is total BS.

Dahntay has no skill set that separates him from the rest. He can't shoot, he can't dribble, he can't defend....... the list just goes on & on. TA would destroy this kat on the basketball court.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 11:02:18 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
If Danny or his minions let it be known at this time what kind of offer he would make to Jones, wouldn't that be considered tampering?  GMs at this time are always being cautious, saying they can't speak about individual players; why would they risk a tampering charge by feeding information to SAS, of all people?  Over Dahntay Jones, of all people?

Complete BS. 

I wouldn't mind Jones, I'd trust him more at the end of games than TA or Billy Walker, but if it was anything more than the LLE I'd be ripped.  You don't cut into the MLE for a guy like Jones.  Best-case for Jones, I could see him getting an offer (from someone, not necessarily us) kinda like Eddie House's deal last year; at about the LLE, with a player option on a second year.  I could live with something like that, as long as it WAS the LLE or the vet min.  Still like to do better, though.

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 11:11:42 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Hell, I am perfectly happy with Walker or Giddens getting the minutes as the 4th wing (5th if you include House)...and that is all Jones would be good for on this team.  If they bring him in to be the 3rd wing, then they are in big trouble.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
From the main page of celticsblog:

Stephen A Smith tweets: "Dahntay Jones is looking for a multi-year deal. The Celts are willing to surrender $8 mil over 2 years. He wants 4 years."

I simply can't believe that Dahntay Jones is looking for 4 yrs at $4M/yr.

I also can't believe the Cs would give him $4M/yr for 2 yrs. Maybe, just maybe, I could believe he is worth half that...
The article doesn't say that he's looking for 4 mill a year for four years. It says that the Celtics offered him 4 mill for 2 years. He might be willing to take less money for more years. Maybe a back loaded contract where he only two in the first year. Can we offer him the LLE price for four years?

LLE deals are only 2 years long. This year IIRC, the LLE is something like $1.9M/yr

I don't think $8M/2yr is that out of whack for a guy like Dahntay Jones... its a bit high, but not outrageous when you look at other similar players not on rookie contracts.

I'd prefer something like $10M/3yr or $11M/4yr personally.

And I'd like to do a sign-and-trade for him or any other similarly priced FA (I prefer Jamario Moon to Jones, FWIW) with Tony Allen. The other team is likely gonna need a player (versus signing a new FA to fill the spot left by Jones/Moon/etc) and TA is at least an expiring contract for a team who may need a change of scenery.

That woudl leave the full MLE for a big, and the LLE for another swingman or big.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
tripping Kobe = millionare

study up kids
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 12:47:06 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
TA would school this guy.