Author Topic: Dahntay Jones will cost how much????  (Read 6680 times)

Dahntay Jones will cost how much????
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
From the main page of celticsblog:

Stephen A Smith tweets: "Dahntay Jones is looking for a multi-year deal. The Celts are willing to surrender $8 mil over 2 years. He wants 4 years."

I simply can't believe that Dahntay Jones is looking for 4 yrs at $4M/yr.

I also can't believe the Cs would give him $4M/yr for 2 yrs. Maybe, just maybe, I could believe he is worth half that...
Celtics fan for life.

Re: Dahntay Jones will cost how much????
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:28:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i would be very very very surprised if ainge gave jones that sort of money.

jones is, at best, a stop-gap solution for the celtics lack of depth at Sg/SF. in now way does he have the skills to serve in that capacity for the celtics long term.

if those were his real demands, then i think dantay jones is about to be snubbed a second time by the celtics it seems.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:36:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How much can Screamin A Smith really know now that he is reduced to tweeting?

Jones is not worth that much money.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 11:03:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Clearly, not much.  I think SAS must be buddy buddy with whomever is Jones' agent....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 11:05:03 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Clearly, not much.  I think SAS must be buddy buddy with whomever is Jones' agent....

So the agent is feeding him lines to get his client more money.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 11:30:43 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Uh uh, Dhantay.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 11:31:33 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
From the main page of celticsblog:

Stephen A Smith tweets: "Dahntay Jones is looking for a multi-year deal. The Celts are willing to surrender $8 mil over 2 years. He wants 4 years."

I simply can't believe that Dahntay Jones is looking for 4 yrs at $4M/yr.

I also can't believe the Cs would give him $4M/yr for 2 yrs. Maybe, just maybe, I could believe he is worth half that...
The article doesn't say that he's looking for 4 mill a year for four years. It says that the Celtics offered him 4 mill for 2 years. He might be willing to take less money for more years. Maybe a back loaded contract where he only two in the first year. Can we offer him the LLE price for four years?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:42:26 PM »

Offline hankfinkel

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 36
The Celtics are not even allowed to negotiate with free agents until Wednesday, and I doubt they broke the rules for Dahntay Jones.  So where SAS got the Celtics side of this, I'm perplexed.  I really doubt anyone in the inner circle is talking numbers with SAS.  He made this up, or took it from someone who made it up.  Ainge is not spending that kind of money on Dahntay Jones, not this year in this market which is going to be very tight.  There is going to be more supply than demand, and after the few teams willing to spend serious money, and really that is limited to the MLE nearly all teams.

Of the teams under the cap, Memphis and OKC are not throwing money at guys this year, Detroit has a couple of specific guys targeted (Gordon, Boozer), which leaves Portland who really only has substantial cap room much above MLE if they do not tender Frye an offer.  So there are only 2-3 slots around for above MLE deals and about half the NBA franchises are right at or above the lux tax threshold already (and that we may discover in the next few days may be down from last year), some looking to shed salary anyway they can.  Many teams can't think of much else but next summer with guys like Steve Kerr and Rod Thorn talking on draft night about managing their cap more than anything on the court this coming season.

In other words, as has been said, this is a buyer's market.  Most big names will have the choice between returning to their teams or accepting the MLE (I'm looking at you Shawn Marion), maybe for just a year to get back on the market in the player friendly summer of 2010.  The trinkle down to guys like Dahntay Jones is likely to be steep.  They better get real comfortable with the biannual exception and vet minimum deals, or fractions of the MLE, because the few teams looking to buy are going to hold all the cards.

Wyc and Danny have said they'll spend money on the right guy(s); Dahntay Jones at $8M/2 years is not the right guy.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:45:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This just reinforces the fact that I don't want Dahntay Jones.  He is just another 10th man, but was a perfect fit in Denver, and will probably get overpaid because of it (same thing with Andersen).

The C's need a backup wing who has more offensive ability.  Defense is great, but when you have a bunch of guys who can't shoot, it just kills all momentum.

Anyways, I don't buy a word of this.  Danny knows Jones' weaknesses well, and is not going to overpay him.  I am sure he will throw the vet minimum at him, but I doubt he will offer much more than that.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 11:47:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
What I love is that we all want to believe the Jason Kidd rumors (that he will come to BOS for the MLE), but we don't want to believe the Dahntay Jones rumors.  

Neither makes sense (Cs don't need an expensive backup PG; Dahntay doesn't deserve $4M/yr), but since Kidd is higher profile, we want to believe the Kidd rumor*, and not the Jones rumor.

*Or we want to think of trades involving Rondo that make the Kidd rumor plausible, but we don't consider trades involving Ray Allen that might make the Dahntay Jones rumor plausible.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 11:53:14 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The Celtics are not even allowed to negotiate with free agents until Wednesday, and I doubt they broke the rules for Dahntay Jones.  So where SAS got the Celtics side of this, I'm perplexed.  I really doubt anyone in the inner circle is talking numbers with SAS.  He made this up, or took it from someone who made it up.  Ainge is not spending that kind of money on Dahntay Jones, not this year in this market which is going to be very tight.  There is going to be more supply than demand, and after the few teams willing to spend serious money, and really that is limited to the MLE nearly all teams.

Of the teams under the cap, Memphis and OKC are not throwing money at guys this year, Detroit has a couple of specific guys targeted (Gordon, Boozer), which leaves Portland who really only has substantial cap room much above MLE if they do not tender Frye an offer.  So there are only 2-3 slots around for above MLE deals and about half the NBA franchises are right at or above the lux tax threshold already (and that we may discover in the next few days may be down from last year), some looking to shed salary anyway they can.  Many teams can't think of much else but next summer with guys like Steve Kerr and Rod Thorn talking on draft night about managing their cap more than anything on the court this coming season.

In other words, as has been said, this is a buyer's market.  Most big names will have the choice between returning to their teams or accepting the MLE (I'm looking at you Shawn Marion), maybe for just a year to get back on the market in the player friendly summer of 2010.  The trinkle down to guys like Dahntay Jones is likely to be steep.  They better get real comfortable with the biannual exception and vet minimum deals, or fractions of the MLE, because the few teams looking to buy are going to hold all the cards.

Wyc and Danny have said they'll spend money on the right guy(s); Dahntay Jones at $8M/2 years is not the right guy.
I really like your idea about the buyers market. I'm not sure the Celtics will be able to sign a guy like Marion for the MLE over a place like Orlando (weather) or go to somewhere he can start for a contending team. However, the trickle effect will help us sign players for a large discount.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 02:05:04 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Marion forced Phoenix's hand, because he wanted to be the guy. If he is going to sign for the MLE, my bet is Miami is much more prominent a player than Orlando or Boston where he'd  be a backup. 

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 02:17:01 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I don't think its unheard of for Jones to "want" 16 million. Scal got 15 million. It's not hard for him to rationalize himself making 16 mil. But what you want, what you're offered, and what you agree to are often three different things.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 02:17:34 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Jones will not cost what he wants. He will get paid what the market will bear.

A couple of people have already overreacted to this. Negotiations haven't even started.

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 08:01:01 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Please no Dahntay Jones.  Unless he's going to take Tony's place as a situational player for the minimum, I don't want him.  We need better players, like Grant Hill.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson