Author Topic: How did our team get so screwed up?  (Read 20986 times)

How did our team get so screwed up?
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:23:55 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Before this year I never really paid attention to contracts, just the players.  But now that our window is closing with the big 3, I'm all nervous because we desperately need some support if we want a good chance to get back on top.  So i take a look at our contracts and it turns out we are already like 15mil over the cap, so we can only sign 1 player.  In conclusion, this sucks.  Half of our bench doesn't even play, so i feel like we're severely disabled.  Then i take a look at the top of the list and i realized the big 3 are all being paid the league maximum.  Actually, Garnett is about 5mil over somehow.  So i add them together and it turns out just the 3 of them are over the cap for the whole team.  Why don't these guys take a freakin pay cut and help out their team?  Getting 20mil for being the league MVP is one thing, but Ray Allen barely made the all-star team.
Last year we lost Posey, Cassell, and Brown, and we gained nobody.
Now we're possibly losing Powe and Davis, and it's up to House if he wants to stay.  If we can't sign anybody, then when everyone's contracts run out we're gonna be in big trouble.  Out of the 14 guys on our roster 3 of them aren't even guaranteed, 3 of them have barely played in this league, and 1 of them is the 3rd to last draft pick.  So other than our 5 starters, that leaves Tony Allen and Scalabrine.  Danny better have something up his sleeve for 2010.  I'm looking at the page right now and we've only got about 4-5 guys guaranteed for the year after next.  It's gonna suck if everyone wants out, because it seems not many people want in.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Re: How did our team get so screwed up?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:26:46 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The solution is easy, just not popular with Celtics fans who want it all: trade Ray Allen for 3 good to very good bench players with decent contracts.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They can sign more then one player. 

They have the MLE to use in full or to split.

They have the LLE

And they have the vet min.

And soon, they have the expirering package of TA and Scali to get a player around 6 million a year. 

Meanwhile, the Celtics have the best starting 5 in the NBA. 

They used less (never used the LLE) to build the title bench of two years ago.

So, as long as they are smart and target the right players, they will have the bench they need to go with the best starting 5 in the NBA.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:50:32 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Is it bad that in about 3 years or so, I'm fully expecting us to have a top 5 lottery pick record?

I've just got that feeling.  We had our time to shine.  That time is coming to a close slowly but surely, and it'll soon be time to start over again.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 10:53:01 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Is it bad that in about 3 years or so, I'm fully expecting us to have a top 5 lottery pick record?

I've just got that feeling.  We had our time to shine.  That time is coming to a close slowly but surely, and it'll soon be time to start over again.

It probably won't be that good.  It'll probably be more like in 3-4 years we'll be a 30-40 win team and we'll have a lottery pick but not a good enough one to make a big difference.

But Danny seems to be cognizant of the last 20 years or so in which our team has mostly been an after thought in the NBA and I think he'll do everything he can to stop that from happening again.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 10:57:16 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

It probably won't be that good.  It'll probably be more like in 3-4 years we'll be a 30-40 win team and we'll have a lottery pick but not a good enough one to make a big difference.

But Danny seems to be cognizant of the last 20 years or so in which our team has mostly been an after thought in the NBA and I think he'll do everything he can to stop that from happening again.

So are you saying that you agree with my idea for changes to the draft system? ;)  :P  Why should it be better to suck than to be mediocre? Sounds twisted doesn't it?

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 11:00:40 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I think you are right.  No, I am HOPING you are right!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:19:30 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

So are you saying that you agree with my idea for changes to the draft system? ;)  :P  Why should it be better to suck than to be mediocre? Sounds twisted doesn't it?

I agree that the system isn't great but I'm not sure what would make more sense.  Maybe give all teams that don't make the playoffs an equal chance at a top pick.  But teams that make the playoffs should not ever get a lottery pick.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Well, this is a nice post to read right before going to bed.  Very upbeat and optimistic.  Happy nightmares, RAcker!

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 11:25:53 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
How did we get so screwed up? Easy, we mortgaged our future for 1 flag; well we got our flag and now our assets are getting a little bit older and more injury prone, so our honeymoon is over. Thats the price we had to pay and we paid it; we will probably return to our inconsequential status in the league sooner than later. But, we got our flag; and most fans dont want to trade any of our "Big Three"; not that Ainge pays any attention to us fans. Dont despair now; we knew this was coming; it just came a little sooner than expected. Of course, Ainge can pull another miracle in the next few weeks; so lets wait and see; its just that the vibes are not as good as I would like them to be. I hope Im wrong. Peace
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 11:26:58 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

I agree that the system isn't great but I'm not sure what would make more sense.  Maybe give all teams that don't make the playoffs an equal chance at a top pick.  But teams that make the playoffs should not ever get a lottery pick.

That doesn't work, because then teams would prefer to not make the playoffs over being a #8 seed. I still think the best option is to let every team be in the lottery for the first three picks and picks 4-30 be decided by record. The rule would be that you can have no more than two top 3 picks in ten years.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

That doesn't work, because then teams would prefer to not make the playoffs over being a #8 seed. I still think the best option is to let every team be in the lottery for the first three picks and picks 4-30 be decided by record. The rule would be that you can have no more than two top 3 picks in ten years.

The problem still remains that it would be colossally unfair for a team that is already a contender to get a top 3 pick.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 11:41:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yeah, I think chances are that will happen.  The only hope is that Danny is able to speed up the rebuilding process this time around. 

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 11:41:31 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
we arent that screwed up. We came one game short of going to the Eastern Conference Finals, and that was without our best player. A second round draft pick two years ago was thrown into the starting role, and we never really had a quality back up point guard. We arent that messed up in the first place, and the holes we have can be filled.

1. The LLE
2. The MLE
3. Trades

There are alot of options, and we are a few small pieces from becoming dominant again
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
How did we get so screwed up? Easy, we mortgaged our future for 1 flag; well we got our flag and now our assets are getting a little bit older and more injury prone, so our honeymoon is over. Thats the price we had to pay and we paid it; we will probably return to our inconsequential status in the league sooner than later. But, we got our flag; and most fans dont want to trade any of our "Big Three"; not that Ainge pays any attention to us fans. Dont despair now; we knew this was coming; it just came a little sooner than expected. Of course, Ainge can pull another miracle in the next few weeks; so lets wait and see; its just that the vibes are not as good as I would like them to be. I hope Im wrong. Peace

TP.

I think you are right on the money.  We fans knew what we were getting into when Danny traded all the young talent worth anything for Ray and KG, and on top of that knew the risk (the Big Three get older, but no ring is earned). 

Instead, with a bit of luck o' the irish, we won in year one.I am thankful for that (as I know everyone on this board is).

The issue now, is what to do for the future? 

We actually have more options than if we hadn't just won.  If we hadn't, Danny would be under a ton of pressure to make trades and surround the Big Three, and would be frantically mortgaging away the future.  Thankfully, we don't have to do that. 

I believe the team is financially restricted, and so won't be players for the "big name" FAs, but I think a couple of well thought middle market FA signings could help extend the window for a couple years.

Perhaps more important (for the long term success of the team) I think that Ray Allen is on the block.  Trading him for a decent younger starter (especially one that may improve over time) and a couple of key bench players could make the team a viable contender for years to come. 

I realize that the idea of trading Ray Allen is an unpopular one, and that most people would prefer improving the team via Free Agency.  I just feel that with the Cs salary so high that management will be unwilling to do so...
Celtics fan for life.