Author Topic: Is this possible?  (Read 5063 times)

Re: Is this possible?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Getting Anderson and Sheed for MLE and LLE doesn't help.  Many reasons have already been stated.

The logjam it would create is unnecessary and you've now wasted Danny's #2 option for bringing in needed talent by spending the LLE.

As for the SAS/Dahntay rumor---pure garbage. 
- Think of the source---SAS is a loud-mouth moron that has no inside connections to any team
- Dahntay isn't worth that much money even in a tight FA market, nevermind one with the number of FA's that are currently available and the limited number of spenders.
- Danny needs the MLE to lure a good big man for the bench.  If Danny uses that much of the MLE, bank on it being for backup to Perk, not a non-shooting wing.
- No talks can occur with FA's until 7/1 so this can't be anything more than pure speculation.
I disagree with the logjam, because they're not gonna get the same kind of minutes each game.  The purpose of this roster is to be able to dictate the pace of the game a LOT better than we do now.  Rondo and Pierce can easily switch their game from defense to strongly offensive if we need points late in the game (Allen and House can make big 3s when called for as well).  The problem for the big guys is, Perk and Powe aren't exactly reliable scorers, and Scal and Baby aren't much better (plus add in their lack of speed and rebounding).  Adding Bird and Wallace will help in all these areas (and allows us to let Davis go without a problem).  Now when our defense isn't getting the job done, we can look to the bench for some quick offense, rather than just looking at some 2nd hand defense.  Another reason it is much more prudent to stack our front court than the back is FOUL TROUBLE (don't say it doesn't happen often).  Yet another reason is the decreased amount of minutes Perk and KG play in the first place, and the C's are hoping to give them even less.  Garnett is the face of a beautiful defense, but rather than just adding to him we should COMPLIMENT him and let him do what he does best.
Also, Danny's second option for giving us talent should definitely not be the LLE.  Rather than relying on additional bench players, and risking them being a bust, he should TRADE the guys that aren't doing what we want them to do, and get a guy worth 6-8mil rather than 2.  The only purpose of the LLE should be to offer a guy a little bit more than the minimum when looking for reserves BEYOND your bench to fill out a roster that already has talented back-ups contracted.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 06:30:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
whoa. is that what the buzz is on anderson. someone will offer him 4 mil? sounds nuts to me.

Hey was rock solid for denver this season, he was a key bench player for them.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
whoa. is that what the buzz is on anderson. someone will offer him 4 mil? sounds nuts to me.

He wasn't that good for them though. He's a good weakside defender, offensive rebounder, and he cuts hard to the hoop. That's it, that is his entire skill set.

I'd love to have him on our bench, but he should be fifth at the highest on our FA big list.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 11:12:26 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

He wasn't that good for them though. He's a good weakside defender, offensive rebounder, and he cuts hard to the hoop. That's it, that is his entire skill set.

I'd love to have him on our bench, but he should be fifth at the highest on our FA big list.
Under whom?  The only guy i can see playing defense like him is Gortat.  In addition to what you said he also has speed and is one of the best blockers in the leage, two things our bench is lacking big time.
EDIT:  Forgive me, I would rather have Lee than Anderson.  If given the choice that is...
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale