Author Topic: Is this possible?  (Read 5064 times)

Is this possible?
« on: June 28, 2009, 06:29:29 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Let go of Marbury, Moore, and Baby.
Re-sign House and Powe (and Hudson).
Sign Rasheed Wallace and Chris Anderson.
That leaves you with...
Centers:  Wallace can score and spread the D to the arch, Anderson can get rebounds and block shots.
PF:  Powe can get rebounds and give you interior D, Scalabrine can score sometimes and can also spread the D.
SF:  T Allen for defense and Walker for offense, but neither of them should see much time.
SG:  House is self-explanatory, Giddens probably won't play much either.
PG:  Pruitt, don't expect much but give him a chance, and we got Hudson who can probably score more points than Pruitt but we'll have to see.
This seems doable to me as far as contracts and the cap go.  If not, both Pruitt and Hudson are pretty optional, or Marbury could replace either of them if you think he's more beneficial.
As far as talent goes, our starting 5 is so good we shouldn't need our bench for much.  If we should need to rely on them however, i think that line-up would be able to handle themselves on defense and be able to give our team a little bit of a surge of offense (as opposed to the playoffs where they couldn't score at all).  The bench is certainly deep, and young, which is apparently what Danny wants.

EDIT:  True, we're a little weak in the PG department, but whenever Rondo isn't on the floor, i think both House and Ray should be.  Also, if we have some big people who can shoot, i'm all for putting three of them out there.  Keep your center down-low, and play with 2 cornermen; the Magic obviously made it work, and i think we can make it work way better than they did for a couple reasons.  The main one is KG, who is faster than Howard, and i think way more reliable offensively (also, he can actually shoot).  The Magic were also missing the most valuable piece:  a point guard who could make plays and distribute the ball.  Rondo's ability to drive and get other people open would give us much better looks than they had.  Main reason number 3:  We would have a MUCH deeper bench than they had, and our defense would be much stronger.  Sorry to say it, but most of their loses were due to either the fatigue of Turk and Lewis, or their lack of defense.  Wanna know what else they were missing?  A shooting guard.  Oh wait, we have one of the best 3-point shooters in the history of the league playing that position.
Listen up ya'll, more than two big men on the court at a time is not a bad thing, especially when they can hit the shots like the little guys, and you have some little guys on the bench who can provide speed when you need it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:20:40 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Re: Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 06:33:56 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Nah I don't think we could land, either Rasheed or Birdman, let alone both of them. I think we'd be fools to let BBD go. We're going to be able to keep him cheeper then we generally would in an offseason where teams actually wanted to spend money.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:34:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Sign Rasheed Wallace and Chris Anderson.

Yes, this would be possible, IF:
(1) Rasheed were willing to take the MLE and play in Boston;
(2) Chris Anderson were willing to take the LLE and play in Boston;
(3) Boston was willing to spend both the MLE and LLE.

Unfortunately,
(1) There have been rumors that Rasheed only wants to play for the Magic or SA;
(2) Chris Anderson will probably be able to sign a contract for close to $4M/yr;
(3) It is unclear that Boston is willing to spend both the MLE and LLE.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 06:35:56 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
This leaves us with a logjam for minutes at PF / C and no decent backup SF.   Plus it's not really doable money wise.

So no.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 07:22:41 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
whoa. is that what the buzz is on anderson. someone will offer him 4 mil? sounds nuts to me.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:50:42 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyjOy7fRzs0

But I doubt we could get Sheed AND Andersen but then again ask Kevin Garnett

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:49:21 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyjOy7fRzs0

But I doubt we could get Sheed AND Andersen but then again ask Kevin Garnett

you beat me to it...

I like in your sig how Ray Ray put his jersey on inside out...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
whoa. is that what the buzz is on anderson. someone will offer him 4 mil? sounds nuts to me.

You think that is nuts?  How about $4M to Dahntay Jones???

From the main page of celticsblog:

Stephen A Smith tweets: "Dahntay Jones is looking for a multi-year deal. The Celts are willing to surrender $8 mil over 2 years. He wants 4 years."
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Hey, Dhantay, how about a heaping spoonful of NO.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 12:24:34 AM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
You want out point guard lineup to be Rondo/Pruitt/Henderson?

We don't even know if Henderson will make the roster.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:32:05 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

I'm sure Gerald Henderson would make our roster but unfortunately we had the 58th pick so we had to take Lester Hudson.

;)
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:04 AM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

I'm sure Gerald Henderson would make our roster but unfortunately we had the 58th pick so we had to take Lester Hudson.

;)

Freudian slip. Was reading Lester Hudson and Chris Anderson, and ended up with Henderson.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

He sucks! He can't play D, and he has no offensive. He occasionally gets an offensive rebound, which looks impressive because he's some white kid with funky hair.

Did anyone watch the Lakers/Nuggets series? The lakers won by attacking the bird man. Luke Walton looked good against him!

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 08:48:26 AM »

Offline toinewalka

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I agree with the logjam comment.  There really is no reason to sign both Wallace and Anderson.  I love both games, but minutes would be low, and the effectiveness wouldn't be worth it.  I think the biggest needs we need to fill (In no real order) are 1 backup big man, 1 backup 3 (I hope he could play the 3/4) and one backup PG (who can hopefully play a little 2, Marbury would work for me).  I think if you sign either Wallace, Anderson, or Gortat.  Add a SF like Barnes or Hill (Hill could really only play the 4 in a REALLY small ineup, but everyone loves Grant), and see what the Hudson/Pruitt combo can prove in limited minutes behind Rondo/Marbury and you have a solid contender.  

Don't forget, lacking their emotional leader/best port presence/best interior defender and his backup, plus lacking a true bench, the Celtics still competed in the playoffs, and I feel would have cruised to another trophy had they been fully healthy.  No huge moves have to be made, just solidify the bench in the manner listed.

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 10:46:38 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Getting Anderson and Sheed for MLE and LLE doesn't help.  Many reasons have already been stated.

The logjam it would create is unnecessary and you've now wasted Danny's #2 option for bringing in needed talent by spending the LLE.

As for the SAS/Dahntay rumor---pure garbage. 
- Think of the source---SAS is a loud-mouth moron that has no inside connections to any team
- Dahntay isn't worth that much money even in a tight FA market, nevermind one with the number of FA's that are currently available and the limited number of spenders.
- Danny needs the MLE to lure a good big man for the bench.  If Danny uses that much of the MLE, bank on it being for backup to Perk, not a non-shooting wing.
- No talks can occur with FA's until 7/1 so this can't be anything more than pure speculation.