Author Topic: Oberto to Celts - Is Done???  (Read 13128 times)

Re: Oberto to Celts - Is Done???
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 04:57:37 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
He'd be a good pickup.  Personally, I'd prefer him if we got him and McDyess/Wallace/Smith/Gooden; however, I suppose if the C's got Big Baby back, it might be OK with just Oberto. 

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I have no problem with him if he signs close to the Min.  He can play C.  He can defend.  He can be the 4th big man (resign Davis).

He fits well in the PJ Brown mode. 
Exactly.  We're not looking for him to be "the man".  If we get him cheap and he just does all the little things he does, we come out smelling like flowers on this kind of deal.

This smells like Mikki Moore to me all over again. When know we need the good chocolate to make the cake, we went out and bought food club. The cake might still be good, but it won't be as good as it could have been, and it might not be good enough to win the blue ribbon.
Although I disagree with the Mikki Moore comparison completely, the cake analogy was funny.   ;D

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2009, 05:08:13 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
Oberto wouldn't be horrible, but nothing great either. Minimal offensive talent, mostly a defender.

Forgive me for this, but

Fabreezy ma neezy!

That is all.

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2009, 05:19:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Oberto would be great in our system, an experienced, smart big man who plays solid defense would fit well next to KG and Perk. Of course, we would still need someone like McDyess, a solid backup wing, and a backup pg though.

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2009, 05:27:07 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Oberto flat out stinks fellas! You should watch more San Antonio games. I wouldnt use the LLE on him.

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »

Offline toinewalka

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Oberto is bad.  That's the reason he lost the starting spot the second a decent center came along (and decent means Matt Bonner, nothing special).  Calling him defensive is as much a tribute to his lack of offense as it is that he's simply tall, nothing else.  The East is too talented inside for a backup from the West to come in and contribute solid minutes.  As a last resort, I guess he is a warm body.  But with the names people have been talking about and the Celtics have been considering, this guy would be the btoom if not the dead bottom on that list. 

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The East is too talented inside for a backup from the West to come in and contribute solid minutes.  As a last resort, I guess he is a warm body.  But with the names people have been talking about and the Celtics have been considering, this guy would be the btoom if not the dead bottom on that list. 

The Cs will need someone to contribute Mikki Moore minutes off the bench, but not commit Mikki Moore fouls.  Oberto is probably a good option for this, especially because he comes cheap. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2009, 06:27:02 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Somebody like Mikki Moore is fine by me as long as he's with us the whole season so he can learn our defensive schemes, doesn't commit a lot of stupid fouls like Mikki did, and is at the bottom of our bench in terms of bigs rotation.

Mikki wouldn't have been a bad pickup for us if he hadn't been expected to do so much.  As a 5th big Mikki Moore is fine.  As your main backup C and your first big-guy option off the bench, he's awful.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 06:42:13 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
I would like the addition if it is for the minimum...

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2009, 07:06:09 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Oberto is bad.  That's the reason he lost the starting spot the second a decent center came along (and decent means Matt Bonner, nothing special).  Calling him defensive is as much a tribute to his lack of offense as it is that he's simply tall, nothing else.  The East is too talented inside for a backup from the West to come in and contribute solid minutes.  As a last resort, I guess he is a warm body.  But with the names people have been talking about and the Celtics have been considering, this guy would be the btoom if not the dead bottom on that list. 

Umm I'm pretty sure Bonner was there when Oberto started.  Beside Oberto is only a backup center and that is what he would be on our team.  He's won at every level he's played at, he plays solid D, he'll rebound a little, and he can hit the mid range J.  This is exactly the type of player the C's need coming off their bench for 10-15 minutes a game. 

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
our new bench will be coming via trade, Scal + TA's expirings.

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Oberto will be a fine addition to the C's bench. We need to add a higher quality big man still, but he's a good second additional big.