Author Topic: Oberto to Celts - Is Done???  (Read 13129 times)

Re: Oberto to Celts - Is Done???
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 12:49:03 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Wtqur5xMU

For the min (or close to it)... I think he could be a really good signing.

A couple comments about him via people on youtube...

mr10tomidnight
Well Utah will never forget him.The damage he did on the glass during the 2007 playoffs with all those offensive rebounds,putbacks,lay ins.He averaged 10 points 10 rebounds in that series.He's the main reason why the Spurs went 4-1 on the Jazz

jattboypunjabi
there is no way u can say fab sucks at basketball...no one else on the spurs squad that gets open under the basket as often as he does...

In my opinion the reason he gets open down low is because he plays with Tim Duncan. Most likely playing along side KG and/or Kendrick Perkins will produce the same results.

I'm on board.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 12:52:05 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I'm joining the Vet Minimum crowd.

Oberto was behind Bonner, Thomas, and Gooden on the Spurs depth chart but is going to be our number one back up big....?

As a fourth big that doesn't eat into the LLE or MLE, I'm cool with it, but not as our prime backup big that prevents us from grabbing someone else.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 12:56:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I hope this is not our fa splash!!!! :P

It's a start, but yes, hopefully this isn't going to be it.

Given that the Cs are already in luxury tax land, get used to seeing the names of Oberto, Dahntay Jones and Stephon Marbury as the FAs we target...

That is why you have to trade Ray.

I hear you and have echoed this thought elsewhere.  Financial pressures may force management to trade Ray.  Danny has said before that his philosophy is to build a team through the draft and trades, not FAs.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 01:01:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Has Oberto been waived yet?

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 01:07:05 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Given that the Cs are already in luxury tax land, get used to seeing the names of Oberto, Dahntay Jones and Stephon Marbury as the FAs we target...

I hear you and have echoed this thought elsewhere.  Financial pressures may force management to trade Ray.  Danny has said before that his philosophy is to build a team through the draft and trades, not FAs.

if financial considerations are the key, then the player i think they'd move is Rondo. he's the one who's due for a long contract.

Ray is coming off the books next season.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Sign him!

"He also received an Academy Award and two Emmy nominations. Oberto is a shameless flopper who drew 33 offensive fouls last season; in his case, most of them aren't the traditional let-a-guard-run-into-you offensive foul but rather the result of hand fighting and other Jedi tricks off the ball. Oberto loves to grab an opponent's arm and then snap his head back violently when he gets a response, and officials take the bait surprisingly often. In one early-season game, he got L.A.'s Andrew Bynum so upset with this tactic that Bynum was ejected."
- John Hollinger

We could use a master-flopper on our team who can get Bynum and Howard in foul trouble early.  ;D
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 02:06:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

if financial considerations are the key, then the player i think they'd move is Rondo. he's the one who's due for a long contract.

Ray is coming off the books next season.

I think financial considerations are involved because we are dealing with a soft cap. We have no money besides the MLE and the LLE and we need a pg, sg/sf, and a pf/c. So there is two logical ways of doing this. First, you can resign Marbury (we can offer him a pay bump of 20% next season, or roughly up to $2.0 million, without having to use the MLE) then use the MLE and the LLE on a sg/sf and a pf/c. Or second, trade Ray Allen (the oldest most declining player in our starting 5 and has an expiring contract) for 2 of the 3 needs. Then the C's can use the full MLE on whatever they don't get in the trade.

The first choice, which is very popular, leaves the Celtics very old and possibly kills any chances for this team to have long term success. But it does give the Celtics a great chance to win the championship next year if none of the starting 5 get injured.

The second choice would mean playing around with great chemistry but possibly getting younger and more talented. It also could open up the window of success for many years.I think our chances of winning a championship would go down but not extremely. If the trade is done in the summer, then there is 82 games to gain chemistry.

As far as trading Rondo, I think it would be insane. The kid is 23 and will be an all-star caliber player for 10 more years. Unless someone offers a Chris Bosh, Carmello, Wade, or Lebron you politely say no to offers.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2009/6/3/896268/celtics-salary-cap-situation-and
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 02:22:04 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think financial considerations are involved because we are dealing with a soft cap. We have no money besides the MLE and the LLE and we need a pg, sg/sf, and a pf/c. So there is two logical ways of doing this. First, you can resign Marbury (we can offer him a pay bump of 20% next season, or roughly up to $2.0 million, without having to use the MLE) then use the MLE and the LLE on a sg/sf and a pf/c. Or second, trade Ray Allen (the oldest most declining player in our starting 5 and has an expiring contract) for 2 of the 3 needs. Then the C's can use the full MLE on whatever they don't get in the trade.

The first choice, which is very popular, leaves the Celtics very old and possibly kills any chances for this team to have long term success. But it does give the Celtics a great chance to win the championship next year if none of the starting 5 get injured.

The second choice would mean playing around with great chemistry but possibly getting younger and more talented. It also could open up the window of success for many years.I think our chances of winning a championship would go down but not extremely. If the trade is done in the summer, then there is 82 games to gain chemistry.

As far as trading Rondo, I think it would be insane. The kid is 23 and will be an all-star caliber player for 10 more years. Unless someone offers a Chris Bosh, Carmello, Wade, or Lebron you politely say no to offers.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2009/6/3/896268/celtics-salary-cap-situation-and

I agree with you about the appeal of the second option, but I think there is a (worse from a fan's p.o.v.) option  2a which is that Ray is traded for the reasons you suggest but then the MLE is not used at all, rather vet min contracts are used to fill out the roster.  For the record, I think option 2a is the likeliest of all the above.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'll wait for something more substantial than a foreign website...

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 03:02:41 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I agree vagrantwade, let's see some Boston source.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 04:44:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Vet min I take him. If we can get him for a cheap non guaranteed contract we could even cut him in the preseason if he doesnt work out. However, I still like Mikki Moore on our bench even though Oberto would give us better on the ball defense and more bulk (Moore is a better shot blocker IMO) and would be able to be the hustle guy taking the charge down low like Scal Baby and Powe all do so well. Even if we sign Oberto then sign a guy like Mcdyess or Sheed to the MLE i wouldnt mind at all.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
yes, It would. With all my respect, I think the one thing that I don't like about us (DA - Owners - C.Staff) is they´re not interesed in foreigns players. I now we are very "Conservatives" in terms of thoughts, but some players worth...

Come on Fabrizio!!!
Oberto has been in the league long enough to not be labeled a foreign player. Once you've been in the league a few years contributing, it makes no difference where you were before getting drafted.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I have no problem with him if he signs close to the Min.  He can play C.  He can defend.  He can be the 4th big man (resign Davis).

He fits well in the PJ Brown mode. 
Exactly.  We're not looking for him to be "the man".  If we get him cheap and he just does all the little things he does, we come out smelling like flowers on this kind of deal.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 04:52:43 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
As a 4th or 5th big I love Oberto.  As our main backup C....not at all.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 04:53:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I have no problem with him if he signs close to the Min.  He can play C.  He can defend.  He can be the 4th big man (resign Davis).

He fits well in the PJ Brown mode. 
Exactly.  We're not looking for him to be "the man".  If we get him cheap and he just does all the little things he does, we come out smelling like flowers on this kind of deal.

This smells like Mikki Moore to me all over again. When know we need the good chocolate to make the cake, we went out and bought food club. The cake might still be good, but it won't be as good as it could have been, and it might not be good enough to win the blue ribbon.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner