Author Topic: The cost of keeping BBD  (Read 4429 times)

The cost of keeping BBD
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:27:13 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
From the Globe article linked on the front page:

One NBA general manager said Davis could maybe garner a contract paying $3 million-$4 million in the first year, while another said he’d get close to the mid-level exception (at least $5.6 million). Teams eyeing Davis also know that Boston is keenly interested, too, with matching power. But the Celtics are also over the projected luxury-tax threshold by nearly $2 million.

Yikes.  I was hoping to keep BBD, (and was hoping for a contract a little shy of $3M/yr) but not at the MLE.

EDIT:
Mods -- whoops! Sorry I put this in the wrong forum. Feel free to move. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 11:33:35 AM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

Re: The cost of keeping BBD
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »

Offline AlCelticfan

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
That's what I thought when I read that: "Yikes!"  It seems like Davis may be on the way out to some other team.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 12:45:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I'll wait and see if any team wants to make that kind of offer. 

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Many players have gotten good contracts based on one good playoff series. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him get paid. And, of course, it is what he and his agent wants.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 01:00:45 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Many players have gotten good contracts based on one good playoff series. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him get paid. And, of course, it is what he and his agent wants.

but can you remember an offseason where so many teams were giving away players just to save money? 

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

jerome james anyone?

Can somebody point me to where i'd find how to insert images into a post?  I tried looking around the site but dont see it.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Believe In The Sleeve

jerome james anyone?

Can somebody point me to where i'd find how to insert images into a post?  I tried looking around the site but dont see it.

Use this button when you post... put the url of where the pic is in between the tags.

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 11:23:50 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Yeah, i don't think anyone is gonna offer more than Boston for him.  Any guys willing to spend that much money is gonna use it on the many better FAs out there.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 11:48:51 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I bet we get him for cheap.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 12:14:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think we get him for 3 or 4 years starting at 3 million per.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 12:18:48 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I think that's cheap for a player who averaged 16 points a game in the playoffs. If we can sign Sheed, and retain Marbury I think we're a 3 away from having one of the best benches in the league. Hell, that 3 could even be Bill Walker.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think that's cheap for a player who averaged 16 points a game in the playoffs. If we can sign Sheed, and retain Marbury I think we're a 3 away from having one of the best benches in the league. Hell, that 3 could even be Bill Walker.
People focus on the [dang] points too much!

16 points in 36 minutes on 49% shooting taking 10+ shots a game isn't that great. Especially when he averaged an awful 5.6 Rebs in those 36 minutes.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 12:36:09 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

16 points in 36 minutes on 49% shooting taking 10+ shots a game isn't that great. Especially when he averaged an awful 5.6 Rebs in those 36 minutes.
Still he was a second year player showing that he can play in the playoffs. He's only going to get better. He hung out around the free throw line for jumpers most of that series but with KG back he will be able to move inside more and his rebounding numbers should increase. It's hard to get rebounds 10 feet from the hoop.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 12:40:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Still he was a second year player showing that he can play in the playoffs. He's only going to get better. He hung out around the free throw line for jumpers most of that series but with KG back he will be able to move inside more and his rebounding numbers should increase. It's hard to get rebounds 10 feet from the hoop.
I don't think his rebounding rate is going to go up much. His defensive rate was the same this year as last year. His offensive rebounds went way down because he was used to space the floor more. But I think that's the role he'll find himself in for the rest of his career, though he should keep working on his little hook shot.

I love BBD as a player, but he's a solid backup PF in the league for his career. And even that is contingent on his ability to continue to produce like he did at the end of the this season off the bench.