Author Topic: Could Boston land a Clippers big man for scrubs?  (Read 9900 times)

Re: Could Boston land a Clippers big man for scrubs?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 11:59:22 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2641609

Did you know that Kaman has a 7.5 MILLION dollar kicker if he gets traded?  There's a reason that the Clips have been unable to move him.  I'd rather have Camby of the two, even if Camby is older and only has a couple of years left.  That's pretty much our window with the big 3 anyways.
I'd love to get either Kaman or Camby, I think there is no way that would happen until the deadline.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 12:14:33 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i don't think it's happening either. i wonder if how camby would feel about that. they would surely bring up the umass stuff on national tv.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Danny could have drafted Jackie Gleason, and some here would be calling it genius.

There are thousands of posters here. On a given subject, your opinion is bound to be much better than at least a handful. Congratulations on finding those outliers.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
I could see Camby going to the Wizards for Mike Miller once his trade restriction ends.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
they want perimeter help, not scrubs.

R. Allen, Scal, and T. Allen

for

Davis and Kaman/Camby
In that case, forget it. I'm not giving up Ray for anyone on the Clippers other than Gordon and Blake. Also, given the trades recently with scrubs going one way for high quality players(Shaq, Vince, Jefferson) I don't think it is completely outlandish for the Clippers to take the package I suggested.

Scal and Allen have rings. Walker and Giddens have potential. There's expiring money there. Heck if the Clippers where actually thinking about a Buckner and Jaric trade for Randolph, why is it so crazy to think that a package of Celtic scrubs could land them Camby, a player they basicly got for a second round pick?
they weren't thinking about the trade with Memphis.  Afterall Sterling vetoed a trade taht would have saved them money.  They aren't just going to dump players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 10:13:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2641609

Did you know that Kaman has a 7.5 MILLION dollar kicker if he gets traded?  There's a reason that the Clips have been unable to move him.  I'd rather have Camby of the two, even if Camby is older and only has a couple of years left.  That's pretty much our window with the big 3 anyways.
it's 15% a year, he has already burned 2 years so it wouldn't be 7.5 million.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 11:23:06 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
they weren't thinking about the trade with Memphis.  Afterall Sterling vetoed a trade taht would have saved them money.  They aren't just going to dump players.

Sterling veto'd a deal that would have taken back a useless $8+MM contract over the next two years with Greg Buckner (who is worse than a 2nd round pick in terms of production).

Even if you view Buckner as a sunk cost, I still believe that Randolph is overpaid by more than $4MM per year. It was a mistake.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:33:49 AM by timepiece33 »

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 01:32:52 AM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
It's definitely worth a shot for Camby.  They really have no one on the wings (Thornton is pretty terrible and they're trying out Gordon at the 1 this summer league). Allen, Giddens, Walker and Scal would give them some semi-decent filler.  The cabinets would then be bare and Camby's been known to break on the shelf, but it would be well worth it to add rebounding, shot-blocking and a modicum of finishing ability to the frontcourt. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 01:55:57 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

for

Davis and Kaman/Camby
In that case, forget it. I'm not giving up Ray for anyone on the Clippers other than Gordon and Blake. Also, given the trades recently with scrubs going one way for high quality players(Shaq, Vince, Jefferson) I don't think it is completely outlandish for the Clippers to take the package I suggested.

Scal and Allen have rings. Walker and Giddens have potential. There's expiring money there. Heck if the Clippers where actually thinking about a Buckner and Jaric trade for Randolph, why is it so crazy to think that a package of Celtic scrubs could land them Camby, a player they basicly got for a second round pick?
If the Clippers want to open a Jewelry store I suppose those rings would help. Maybe we can throw in Pollard and Pruitt as a bonus. They have rings.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 06:46:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Sterling veto'd a deal that would have taken back a useless $8+MM contract over the next two years with Greg Buckner (who is worse than a 2nd round pick in terms of production).

Even if you view Buckner as a sunk cost, I still believe that Randolph is overpaid by more than $4MM per year. It was a mistake.
Darko is expiring this year and I wouldn't call him useless.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 07:50:17 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Okay, the entire league knows that someone in the Clipperland front court has to go. Blake Griffin is going to stay. Sterling recently nixed a deal that would have sent Zach Randolph out of town for Memphis scrubs Buckner and Jaric.

http://www.clipsnation.com/2009/6/26/927018/dissecting-the-zach-randolph-to?ref=yahoo

Apparently Sterling thinks Randolph is way more valuable than that. So that leaves Chris Kaman and Marcus Camby. Kaman has a bunch of years, 3 I think, on his contract but is very young and still has potential to develop. Camby is an expiring and was only brought on board for a 2nd round pick in a salary dump last year.

According to the Herald, the Clippers are definitely going to dump a big guy and are looking for perimeter help.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/other_nba/view.bg?articleid=1181726&format=&page=2&listingType=NBA#articleFull

Could a package that includes perimeter players like Scal, Tony, Giddens and Walker land someone like Camby??

A trade like this saves Mr. Cheapo, Donald Sterling, $2 million in salary this year. Most of what he is taking back are expiring deals like Camby's and he gets ton of perimeter help in Scal who can shoot from outside and defend perimeter players, Tony, who would be a good change of pace defensive back up for Gordon and two players that are young and can compete for time behind Al Thornton.

Boston would need to suck up an extra couple million plus more in luxtax but they get a perfect backup for Perk that is an excellent defender, a veteran, and an outside shooter that can spread the floor ala KG when KG is off the floor. He is also an expiring deal that can be added to the Ray Allen expiring for close to #30 million in cleared cap space the following year.

Not to mention that Camby is a local and might love coming home to the New England area for what could be the last year of his career and a championship.
I think the answer to the thread name is yes, but it certainly won't happen until the trading deadline.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 07:58:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

for

Davis and Kaman/Camby

If the Clippers want to open a Jewelry store I suppose those rings would help. Maybe we can throw in Pollard and Pruitt as a bonus. They have rings.
"They have rings" was an analogy put forth for the purpose to explain that they were productive players on a team that won a championship and hence might be desireable on a young team like the Clippers as veteran leadership to show a young team what it takes to win.

I guess  have to be more literal in the future so that everybody can understand!!

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 08:54:55 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think that they would give kaman away for expiring deals. Unfortunately, we don't have quite enough. We only have enough expiring money if Eddie picks up his option and we trade him, or if we utilize powe or davis in a small sign and trade. they may be open to a very small deal for powe, and pay him a small amount not to play, since he's still injured.

but we could try Tony, Scal, Pruitt, Walker, Giddens, and a small s&t with powe for Kaman, with a good chance some of those people would be waived or bought out. they'd save a bunch of long-term money that way.

If Eddie accepts his option, we could just send eddie, ta, scal for kaman. i'd do that, then we could focus on the 1-3 positions in free agency.

edit: i just checked, and it looks like it would be possible for powe to sign a 1 year small extension that would make the trade work and would be good for him, since his health is questionable this season. For the clips, it would be just another small expiring contract.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:20:33 AM by Fan from VT »

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 09:20:45 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I don't think you can get Camby since he's expiring anyway, and I reckon they'd have considerable interest from other teams.

Kaman may be a possibility. They've been trying to trade him and struck out. Lot of money to pay a backup center though, probably not feasible.

Camby is the guy that's going to get traded -- unless they revisit the Randolph deal to MEM, which to me is doubtful. I agree though that they'll get better offers. Go with the expiring deals of Scal and TA, and add in Giddens and a 1st -- exipiring (scrub), expiring (talented but needs playing time), prospect (granted not a very good one) and pick. I'd think that's a pretty competitive offer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 09:53:35 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I would love Kaman on this team.  He's got a good post game, he's young, and he's got more than a reasonable salary.  He can swing between both PF and C.  If we could pick him up I would do it in a heartbeat.  I've had Kaman in my pipe dreams for a while.

I just don't think the Clippers will be interested in less they can get something more than a little bit of a salary dump in return.  I think they want legitimate young talent.

I am not sure he can play the 4, but would still add him as a reservce center for our pupu platter - he expires the same year as Perk, so we would just transfer the dollars when appropriate.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi