Author Topic: Could Boston land a Clippers big man for scrubs?  (Read 9898 times)

Could Boston land a Clippers big man for scrubs?
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:02:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, the entire league knows that someone in the Clipperland front court has to go. Blake Griffin is going to stay. Sterling recently nixed a deal that would have sent Zach Randolph out of town for Memphis scrubs Buckner and Jaric.

http://www.clipsnation.com/2009/6/26/927018/dissecting-the-zach-randolph-to?ref=yahoo

Apparently Sterling thinks Randolph is way more valuable than that. So that leaves Chris Kaman and Marcus Camby. Kaman has a bunch of years, 3 I think, on his contract but is very young and still has potential to develop. Camby is an expiring and was only brought on board for a 2nd round pick in a salary dump last year.

According to the Herald, the Clippers are definitely going to dump a big guy and are looking for perimeter help.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/other_nba/view.bg?articleid=1181726&format=&page=2&listingType=NBA#articleFull

Could a package that includes perimeter players like Scal, Tony, Giddens and Walker land someone like Camby??

A trade like this saves Mr. Cheapo, Donald Sterling, $2 million in salary this year. Most of what he is taking back are expiring deals like Camby's and he gets ton of perimeter help in Scal who can shoot from outside and defend perimeter players, Tony, who would be a good change of pace defensive back up for Gordon and two players that are young and can compete for time behind Al Thornton.

Boston would need to suck up an extra couple million plus more in luxtax but they get a perfect backup for Perk that is an excellent defender, a veteran, and an outside shooter that can spread the floor ala KG when KG is off the floor. He is also an expiring deal that can be added to the Ray Allen expiring for close to #30 million in cleared cap space the following year.

Not to mention that Camby is a local and might love coming home to the New England area for what could be the last year of his career and a championship.

Re: Could Boston land a Clippers big man for scrubs?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 09:23:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
they want perimeter help, not scrubs.

R. Allen, Scal, and T. Allen

for

Davis and Kaman/Camby
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:35:25 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think you can get Camby since he's expiring anyway, and I reckon they'd have considerable interest from other teams.

Kaman may be a possibility. They've been trying to trade him and struck out. Lot of money to pay a backup center though, probably not feasible.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 09:35:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

for

Davis and Kaman/Camby
In that case, forget it. I'm not giving up Ray for anyone on the Clippers other than Gordon and Blake. Also, given the trades recently with scrubs going one way for high quality players(Shaq, Vince, Jefferson) I don't think it is completely outlandish for the Clippers to take the package I suggested.

Scal and Allen have rings. Walker and Giddens have potential. There's expiring money there. Heck if the Clippers where actually thinking about a Buckner and Jaric trade for Randolph, why is it so crazy to think that a package of Celtic scrubs could land them Camby, a player they basicly got for a second round pick?

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 09:40:40 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I would love Camby in our line up. We can have him as Perk's or KG's reliever. An excellent back up for any of the two. Plus we could really scare the hell out of anybody who would want to penetrate the lane. He's remained as the present game's best shotblocker.
I wish we could have him.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21

for

Davis and Kaman/Camby

Baron or Ricky???  Big difference.  And if you're talking Baron, who plays the point for them?

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 09:59:49 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'

for

Davis and Kaman/Camby
In that case, forget it. I'm not giving up Ray for anyone on the Clippers other than Gordon and Blake. Also, given the trades recently with scrubs going one way for high quality players(Shaq, Vince, Jefferson) I don't think it is completely outlandish for the Clippers to take the package I suggested.

Scal and Allen have rings. Walker and Giddens have potential. There's expiring money there. Heck if the Clippers where actually thinking about a Buckner and Jaric trade for Randolph, why is it so crazy to think that a package of Celtic scrubs could land them Camby, a player they basicly got for a second round pick?

What's the big idea, trying to ruin my Summer League fun?!?  ;D

I'd pull the trigger on this deal for either Camby or Kaman in a heartbeat.  Still, put me down as skeptical that LA does this...

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 10:03:35 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I would love Kaman on this team.  He's got a good post game, he's young, and he's got more than a reasonable salary.  He can swing between both PF and C.  If we could pick him up I would do it in a heartbeat.  I've had Kaman in my pipe dreams for a while.

I just don't think the Clippers will be interested in less they can get something more than a little bit of a salary dump in return.  I think they want legitimate young talent.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Well, since some folks have dubbed the pick genius, let's call the Clippers about Lester Hudson ...

;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 10:40:16 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Shots already on 2nd round player.  Interesting.

Let's get it out of the way really quick ... Danny was dumpster diving...  :'(

Kaman being the whitest of the white would fulfill our quota and then some.  J/K he's got some skills although with 3 years left Danny's going to have to really like him. 

Any chance we could check out Robert Swift again because Danny has always loved him...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:46:10 AM by Birdbrain »
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 10:43:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Any chance we could check out Robert Swift again because Danny has always loved him...
WOW!! That literally hurt my eyes to read that Birdbrain. Let's not even joke about ringing in Swift. The thought alone gives me a headache.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 10:50:53 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Danny could have drafted Jackie Gleason, and some here would be calling it genius.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 11:01:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Id say that you over valuing scal and tony just a tad...The clippers want them just because they have a ring? Well so does Scott Pollard, so does Adam Morrison, you dont see teams knocking on their doors for their businesses.

The only way we get Camby is to add Baby in a sign and trade with probably rondo or involve Ray Allen in some way. Id love Camby backing up Perk I think he be perfect but not if it costs us one of our starters.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 11:21:41 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

WOW!! That literally hurt my eyes to read that Birdbrain. Let's not even joke about ringing in Swift. The thought alone gives me a headache.

Well we know Swift will be cheap, so it is not quite as far fetched as I once thought...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2641609

Did you know that Kaman has a 7.5 MILLION dollar kicker if he gets traded?  There's a reason that the Clips have been unable to move him.  I'd rather have Camby of the two, even if Camby is older and only has a couple of years left.  That's pretty much our window with the big 3 anyways.