Author Topic: PHO-CLE-MEM-BOS Trade  (Read 2798 times)

PHO-CLE-MEM-BOS Trade
« on: June 28, 2009, 08:11:28 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
PHO Sends Stoudemire, Richardson, Barbosa
PHO Gets R. Allen, Gay, West, Gibson, Scalabrine

Save $5 million next year, upgrade the 2 & 3, less than $15 million in contracts after next season.

CLE Sends Varajao, West, Gibson
CLE Gets Richardson

Finally get Lebron's running mate, Varajao is gone anyway.

MEM Sends Conley, Gasol, Gay, Buckner
MEM Gets Rondo, Perkins, Walker, Davis, T. Allen

Upgrade the 1 and 5, land a starting 4, and save $4 million on Buckner's last year. Perk bridges the gap and teaches until Thabeet is ready.

BOS Sends R. Allen, Rondo, Perkins, Walker, Davis, T. Allen, Sclabrine
BOS Gets Conley, Gasol, Buckner, Stoudemire, Barbosa, Varajao

Boston lineup:

Conley / Marbury (MIN) / Hudson
Barbosa / Parker (LLE) / Giddens
Pierce / Jones (Part-MLE) / Buckner
Garnett / Varajao / Powe / Adrien
Stoudemire / Gasol

Our backcourt takes a hit, but Conley gives us much better floor spacing, and together with Barbosa, should really be able to get out on the break.

Our depth is much improved, swapping House for Parker, TA for Jones, Davis for Varajao and Moore for Gasol.

Finally, we may have the best frontcourt since Parish-McHale-Walton. Huge, mobile, with a solid mix of shooting, slashing, defense and post play.
-----------------
From a cap perspective:
Amare, Conley, Pierce, Gasol, Parker and Buckner expire together - so we are ok there.
Garnett, Jones, Varajao and Barbosa expire together as well.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: PHO-CLE-MEM-BOS Trade
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:40:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
that's rather ambitious. 

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 08:54:27 AM »

Offline Tough Juice

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
no way

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 01:17:09 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
CLE would never be involved in a trade with BOS.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:11:52 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm not sure if it actually makes us the celtics any better. 

I say Cleveland does it in a heartbeat if they don't think Varejao is coming back. 

I dunno if phoenix does it or not, maybe if they get back a draft pick in return too.  They are giving up a lot of stars without getting a bona fide young one back.  They wouldn't be able to compete this year, so don't argue that they are getting a star in Ray, he's just a rental.

Memphis probably does it getting the best young player in the deal with a very serviceable C (not easy to come by) to go along.

But Boston...
Boston gets a lot of talent, that is true.  But we can't put it all on the floor.  How many minutes are KG and Amare going to combine for per game?  I'd say about 75 (35 and 40)?  That leaves 21 minutes combined for Varejao, Gasol, Powe, and Adrien?  We don't need 2 outstanding backups at the 4 and 5.  We just need 1 outstanding one or 2 good ones.  There's not enough minutes to split for 2 very good ones.  This makes us too much of a fast break team also.  Teams that win championships are teams that can defend and score in the half court.  This team isn't built to do that.

What if we instead put Varejao (or Gasol) in Cleveland along with Barbosa going there and we got J-Rich?  That would be interesting, but I don't know, I think I still like our current team better.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117

I say Cleveland does it in a heartbeat if they don't think Varejao is coming back. 

I dunno if phoenix does it or not, maybe if they get back a draft pick in return too.  They are giving up a lot of stars without getting a bona fide young one back.  They wouldn't be able to compete this year, so don't argue that they are getting a star in Ray, he's just a rental.

Memphis probably does it getting the best young player in the deal with a very serviceable C (not easy to come by) to go along.

But Boston...
Boston gets a lot of talent, that is true.  But we can't put it all on the floor.  How many minutes are KG and Amare going to combine for per game?  I'd say about 75 (35 and 40)?  That leaves 21 minutes combined for Varejao, Gasol, Powe, and Adrien?  We don't need 2 outstanding backups at the 4 and 5.  We just need 1 outstanding one or 2 good ones.  There's not enough minutes to split for 2 very good ones.  This makes us too much of a fast break team also.  Teams that win championships are teams that can defend and score in the half court.  This team isn't built to do that.

What if we instead put Varejao (or Gasol) in Cleveland along with Barbosa going there and we got J-Rich?  That would be interesting, but I don't know, I think I still like our current team better.

I think Phoenix does it for Gay and for the enormous cap room it gives them. IF they are rebuilding like Kerr says, Barbosa and Richardson are impediments. You might be right about the picks, we could probably get one out of Cleveland and one out of Boston if needed.

Regarding frontcourt minutes; I think KG and Amare play about 28 per game during the regular season - a 3 minute and a 5 minute reduction for each of them - with one of them always on the floor. Gasol subs in for Amare and Varajao subs in for Garnett, each playing about 20 minutes per.

When the playoffs start, Gasol sits while KG, Amare, and Varajao play about 36 minutes per game.

Finally, I cannot see how this team would be worse in the halfcourt than the 07-08 team. Better spacing at the 1, equal spacing at the 2, Pierce and KG pretty much the same, and Amare running the pick and roll instead of Perk posting up. Our fast break would be better, but so would our halfcourt.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 06:04:42 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

But Boston...

I think Phoenix does it for Gay and for the enormous cap room it gives them. IF they are rebuilding like Kerr says, Barbosa and Richardson are impediments. You might be right about the picks, we could probably get one out of Cleveland and one out of Boston if needed.

Regarding frontcourt minutes; I think KG and Amare play about 28 per game during the regular season - a 3 minute and a 5 minute reduction for each of them - with one of them always on the floor. Gasol subs in for Amare and Varajao subs in for Garnett, each playing about 20 minutes per.

When the playoffs start, Gasol sits while KG, Amare, and Varajao play about 36 minutes per game.

Finally, I cannot see how this team would be worse in the halfcourt than the 07-08 team. Better spacing at the 1, equal spacing at the 2, Pierce and KG pretty much the same, and Amare running the pick and roll instead of Perk posting up. Our fast break would be better, but so would our halfcourt.

28 min per game???  Just barely more than half the game (24 min) each?  One on the floor at all times?  That means they'll only share the floor for 8 min per game.  I don't know...  I think they need more.

And about worse in the half court.  Better spacing at the 1... OK fine, but we lose our best rim attacker and passer.  Equal spacing at the 2?  That's a joke, I'll say no more.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »

Offline toinewalka

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
This might work in Nintendo, but really no reason to even discuss it.  The names are too big, and the teams compete too much to ship players back and forth so easily.  Also, as for the Celtics, that would be blowing up a contender and having the new pieces fight for minutes, never really seen that work.  I think this is just one of those "let's see what contracts work and play around with it fantasy team style" ideas.