Author Topic: Dalembert is Overpaid, and we should trade for him  (Read 4715 times)

Dalembert is Overpaid, and we should trade for him
« on: June 27, 2009, 04:24:52 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Scalabrine, Allen, House and Giddens for Dalembert, a future #1 and cash considerations.

Dalembert is overpaid. He is also a legit 7 footer, has not missed a game for three seasons, blocks shots and hits 75% of his free throws. He is the perfect backup for Perkins.

Plus, he expires with Pierce and Perkins, so the cap implications are minimal.

This deal allows us to spend the full MLE on a competent forward, and the LLE on a competent guard.

Rondo / Marbury (MIN) / Hudson
Allen / Parker (LLE)
Pierce / Marion / Walker
Garnett / Powe / Adrien ($550k)
Perkins / Dalembert
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:42:16 AM by Michael Anthony »
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: Dalembert is Overpaid
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 04:29:29 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I actually like this idea quite a bit, assuming Philly would accept it.

Dalembert seems to have expressed a lack of enthusiasm for continuing to play in Philly, and we could save the Sixers some money by taking on his contract.

Also, as you said, he's way overpaid for a starting center but would make a great backup. 

If we got Dalembert through trade we could use the MLE and LLE to fill our vacancies at the wings.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 04:37:54 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Mr. Butterfingers is way overpaid @ 12 mil. We can use those exp contract to get a Nocioni & someone else.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:45:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Mr. Butterfingers is way overpaid @ 12 mil. We can use those exp contract to get a Nocioni & someone else.

Perhaps this is true, but it seems to me that it will be much easier for us to get a good backup swingman in free agency than a truly solid backup center.  We need both.

To me, it makes the most sense to try to trade for an overpaid backup center from a team looking to shed salary (like Dalembert or Diop for example) and then sign a couple free agent swingmen with the MLE and LLE (like, say, Udoka and Hill).

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 04:55:50 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

Perhaps this is true, but it seems to me that it will be much easier for us to get a good backup swingman in free agency than a truly solid backup center.  We need both.

To me, it makes the most sense to try to trade for an overpaid backup center from a team looking to shed salary (like Dalembert or Diop for example) and then sign a couple free agent swingmen with the MLE and LLE (like, say, Udoka and Hill).

you can't just look at next season, this will kill our chance in 2011. We can't have this guy on the books, while we are trying to resign Rondo and Allen. It will be impossible

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 05:07:40 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

you can't just look at next season, this will kill our chance in 2011. We can't have this guy on the books, while we are trying to resign Rondo and Allen. It will be impossible

That's a good point, but I think we're going to have to take on some bad contracts if we want to improve our team through trades at all this season.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 05:14:39 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117

Ray will be 34 years old in three weeks. Next year at this time he will be 35. How much will he command on the open market, and how much will he demand from the Celtics?

My gut tells me $6 million a year for three years would do it.

Rondo is likely to settle in the $7-$10 million range, even at the high end, Ray and Rondo should command $16 million total in 2011 - about $5 million less than next season.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: Dalembert is Overpaid, and we should trade for him
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:42:11 AM »

Offline KevinGamble

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • MWMWMWMWMWMW
Scalabrine, Allen, House and Giddens for Dalembert, a future #1 and cash considerations.

Dalembert is overpaid. He is also a legit 7 footer, has not missed a game for three seasons, blocks shots and hits 75% of his free throws. He is the perfect backup for Perkins.

This deal allows us to spend the full MLE on a competent forward, and the LLE on a competent guard.

Allen / Parker (LLE)
Pierce / Marion / Walker
Perkins / Dalembert

this makes the most sense of all the proposals I have seen here, or could imagine. Tommy Point!!!

I always liked Dalembert, and he would be a Perfect backup for us.  I really like this depth chart, and that the back of the bench still has nice projects to farm.

Go Celts!!!
"You're skating on pretty thin ice around here, McGee!"
"Sounds like the ice's problem."

2 for the Show!
GO CELTS!

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I like his game but what does perk make in comparison to a guy that would be backing him up?

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I don't understand how a guy that is overpaid as a starter would be valuable as an even more overpaid guy coming off the bench.  Doesn't that fact that he's currently overpaid make it an even more ridiculous contract to acquire?

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 10:09:20 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Ray will be 34 years old in three weeks. Next year at this time he will be 35. How much will he command on the open market, and how much will he demand from the Celtics?

My gut tells me $6 million a year for three years would do it.

Rondo is likely to settle in the $7-$10 million range, even at the high end, Ray and Rondo should command $16 million total in 2011 - about $5 million less than next season.

I think it's going to take at least 10 million a year for Ray, particularly if he still plays well next year and they win it all.  Asking him to take a paycut will be tough enough if he doesn't decline next year and they win it all.  Asking him to make less than 1/3 of what he makes if that happens, is going to be impossible.

Personally, I like 2 years 20 million.  He then expires when KG does.  Extend PP one year, and all three expire in the same year, giving us three big contracts with one year left in the summer of 2011 or three big contracts completely coming off the books in 2012.  That should give us a lot of flexibility and that flexibility should come when the Big Three are in decline (unlike now). 

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 10:13:25 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Allen / Parker (LLE)
Pierce / Marion / Walker
Perkins / Dalembert

TP for very good trade request.  I've always admired Damelbert's athletic ability but, questioned his BBIQ and desire.  But he just seems like the kind of guy that would get extra motivation from KG being around him.  Now getting Philly to actually do it is another thing.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
In the NBA today, a team cannot afford to overpay anyone on the roster, especially $11-12M to a back up big, even one that is intriguing as Dalembert is.  We need to get value for every dollar we spend.  In my opinion, this would be overpaying by around $8-9M.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
I don't understand how a guy that is overpaid as a starter would be valuable as an even more overpaid guy coming off the bench.  Doesn't that fact that he's currently overpaid make it an even more ridiculous contract to acquire?

HAHAHA! My thoughts exactly.  "As a starter he's overpaid, but as a backup C he'll be perfect."  Hmmmmmm......

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 10:35:41 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Being overpaid makes him more likely to be traded for our scraps.  We keep everyone and get Dalembert.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10