Author Topic: Celts tried to trade Scal, TA, JR or Walker to 36 pick/cash  (Read 6619 times)

Re: Celts tried to trade Scal, TA, JR or Walker to 36 pick/cash
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 11:39:16 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
scal and allen will have more value around the trade deadline when boston needs to add a few pieces for the playoffs

But wouldn't the Cs have gotten a hefty trade exemption in return from Memphis (~$5.5M).  That would be even more valuable at the trade deadline.....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 11:48:30 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
scal and allen will have more value around the trade deadline when boston needs to add a few pieces for the playoffs

But wouldn't the Cs have gotten a hefty trade exemption in return from Memphis (~$5.5M).  That would be even more valuable at the trade deadline.....

Since we can't combine trade exceptions with other players and exceptions to make trades and aquire other players, I don't see that as being more valuable.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 11:55:55 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Since we can't combine trade exceptions with other players and exceptions to make trades and aquire other players, I don't see that as being more valuable.

True, but there are ways to work around it.  You can split the exemption and use it on two players, or you could do two simultaneous trades with another team -- one trading the exemption for player A and another trading player B for player C (where the second trade would never happen but for the first also happening).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 03:00:41 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

(2) If true, it indicates that the Cs are under some serious financial pressure.  This is important to note, because it means as fans we should prepare ourselves for the big offseason FA signing to be Dahntay Jones for the vet min.  (No, I am not kidding or trying to exaggerate).

So what you're saying is if #2 is the case, we're screwed.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

(2) If true, it indicates that the Cs are under some serious financial pressure.  This is important to note, because it means as fans we should prepare ourselves for the big offseason FA signing to be Dahntay Jones for the vet min.  (No, I am not kidding or trying to exaggerate).

So what you're saying is if #2 is the case, we're screwed.

Not necessarily.  It just means Cs wont be big players in the FA market.  But, with close to $25M in expiring contracts, Cs could be players in the trade market
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 03:17:20 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
This really scares me, I think Rasheed and Mcdyess are the only guys Danny has real interest in (that we could actually sign to the MLE). I wouldn't be surprised for our offseason go somewhere along the lines of.

Resign everyone but Moore and Pruitt.

Cut Giddens

Sign Dahntay Jones and Rasho Nasterovic (however you spell his name) to vet min.

Go into the season with.

Rondo/Marbury/Hudson
Allen/House/Allen
Pierce/Jones/Walker
Garnett/BBD/Scalibrine
Perkins/Rasho/Powe

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 03:35:42 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
This really scares me, I think Rasheed and Mcdyess are the only guys Danny has real interest in (that we could actually sign to the MLE). I wouldn't be surprised for our offseason go somewhere along the lines of.

Resign everyone but Moore and Pruitt.

Cut Giddens

Sign Dahntay Jones and Rasho Nasterovic (however you spell his name) to vet min.

Go into the season with.

Rondo/Marbury/Hudson
Allen/House/Allen
Pierce/Jones/Walker
Garnett/BBD/Scalibrine
Perkins/Rasho/Powe

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised by something close to that, provided Powe, BBD, Marbury, Rasho were willing to take small money....

It is not as dire as some might make out, though, because Boston would still have a bunch of expiring contracts to use in trades.  Also, I would be shocked if Hudson makes the team over Giddens (if Giddens is cut, his salary stays on the books, but is untradeable).  I bet Hudson goes overseas for a year or two.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »

Offline Rondoholic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21

Go into the season with.

Rondo/Marbury/Hudson
Allen/House/Allen
Pierce/Jones/Walker
Garnett/BBD/Scalibrine
Perkins/Rasho/Powe

Jones is like 6'5" max.  I don't think he can guard small forwards, which sucks if we're getting him to be a defensive stopper to rest Pierce.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Scal + TA + Giddens = slightly below 7M trade exception. You can use that in a sign + trade in free agency or in a trade for a team looking to dump salary/get under luxury tax. For example, you can give Sheed 7M and give Detroit a 2nd round pick as incentive to facilitate the trade. Or you gave go after Marion, Marvin Williams, etc. and still have the MLE left over. So it would be possible to land a Sheed/Dyess and a Marion/Williams/Hill...

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Scal + TA + Giddens = slightly below 7M trade exception. You can use that in a sign + trade in free agency or in a trade for a team looking to dump salary/get under luxury tax. For example, you can give Sheed 7M and give Detroit a 2nd round pick as incentive to facilitate the trade. Or you gave go after Marion, Marvin Williams, etc. and still have the MLE left over. So it would be possible to land a Sheed/Dyess and a Marion/Williams/Hill...

IMO, they were interested in the exception.  They could have just offered Giddens for the pick, if it was solely about the player.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 09:13:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

IMO, they were interested in the exception.  They could have just offered Giddens for the pick, if it was solely about the player.

Agreed.  And, as just noted in the "Get Travis Outlaw, Please" topic, that exemption could then be used to .... get travis outlaw.

Edit -- who knows, maybe Memphis will be willing to make a trade now, one that doesn't invovle the 2nd round pick Young, but is helpful to Boston b/c of the exemption that would result and helpful to Memphis b/c they get a player they want (assuming they really do want Walker).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 09:19:13 PM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 09:48:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This rumor, if true, is incredibly informative. 

Yeah.  I hope it's not an indication that this will be another off-season of "dumpster diving".  It appears the team is interested in just dumping Tony and Scal, rather than trying to trade them (and thus bring back corresponding salary).  I don't think that is a good sign.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions