Author Topic: Celts tried to trade Scal, TA, JR or Walker to 36 pick/cash  (Read 6597 times)

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
According to hoopshype.com

We tried to trade Scal, TA, and Memphis had the choice of JR or Walker, for the 36 pick and cash.

I find it odd for 2 reason - 1st is that I'd like to get more than the 36 pick from Scal and TA.

2nd is why are we asking for "cash consideration" - I'm really worried about what kind of money DA has to use this free agency.

Re: Celts tried to trade Scal, TA, JR or Walker to 36 pick/cash
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:27:02 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This rumor makes zero sense. Unless they were high on Blair or something and I would think that some players from Memphis would be needed to make the deal work.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:43:02 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Bill Walker has mid to late-first round talent. No way Danny would give up on him AND Scal for #36!

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:52:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bill Walker has mid to late-first round talent. No way Danny would give up on him AND Scal for #36!
You are looking at it wrongly. He wanted to get rid of the salary of Scal and Tony as part of the trade. Bill Walker's talent was supposed to be the inducement for Memphis to do the deal.

Sounds like he wanted to clear the books so he could offer more in FA.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 09:59:37 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Could have been for Darko and the pick. I know Wallace liked Giddens.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 10:02:53 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This could indicate three different things.
1. Danny believes that he can sign a whole bench using the MLE, LLE and vet mins. So he is opening up roster spots in order to do this.
2. The ownership is putting the clamps on Danny and wants him to shed salary.
3. This rumor is completely bogus.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
This could indicate three different things.
1. Danny believes that he can sign a whole bench using the MLE, LLE and vet mins. So he is opening up roster spots in order to do this.
2. The ownership is putting the clamps on Danny and wants him to shed salary.
3. This rumor is completely bogus.
Not just opening roster spots, but opening money. Would clearing that much salary allow him to retain Baby, use the full MLE, and LLE as well. If so he probably could fill out the bench, the roster spots are likely less important than the salary.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'd rather wait until after the summer league to trade Walker, Giddens, or Pruitt to see what improvements they made.  Who knows maybe at least one of them will actually be able to help us this year.  

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 10:29:10 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
You are looking at it wrongly. He wanted to get rid of the salary of Scal and Tony as part of the trade. Bill Walker's talent was supposed to be the inducement for Memphis to do the deal.

Sounds like he wanted to clear the books so he could offer more in FA.

beat me to it. yes, this was not about picking up valuable talent from the draft. it was about money.

it might mean that ainge has some free agents in mind and knows what it will cost to get them.

good luck danny!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 10:33:38 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This rumor makes zero sense. Unless they were high on Blair or something and I would think that some players from Memphis would be needed to make the deal work.

Memphis is under the cap so they didnt need to send any salary back. I think this is a fair deal. Tony and Scal are just taking up room as practice players and in this week draft Giddens or Walker could have replaced that 36th pick. Blair would have been just as productive as Tony, Walker, or Giddens were last year....

This would have been a nice deal. Weed out the bad parts of our bench while still making some cash to add much more depth. Hopefully they can swing these expiring deals during the season for another role player.

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
scal and allen will have more value around the trade deadline when boston needs to add a few pieces for the playoffs

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
scal and allen will have more value around the trade deadline when boston needs to add a few pieces for the playoffs
I don't agree. I'd rather give Danny the budget and roster spaces to sign FAs to make up the team with a plan in mind. Working at the trade deadline is a riskier proposition.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 11:08:36 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don't agree. I'd rather give Danny the budget and roster spaces to sign FAs to make up the team with a plan in mind. Working at the trade deadline is a riskier proposition.

It all depends if free agents are willing to come here and if I understand the salary cap correctly we would still have the MLE, LLE, and vet contracts to offer regardless if we trade Scal, Tony, Giddens or Walker now.  So we wouldn't have any more or less to offer we just wouldn't go as deep possibly into the luxury tax.  To boot say if we open 4 roster spots rather than 2 with this deal.   We might have to spread out the wealth between 4 subpar free agents rather than concentrating on 1 or 2 top tier free agents. 

I also do believe Tony and Scal should be more valuable at the trading deadline.   Teams that aren't living up to expectations will want to rid themselves of some salary and we might get really lucky in a trade. 

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 11:16:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

It all depends if free agents are willing to come here and if I understand the salary cap correctly we would still have the MLE, LLE, and vet contracts to offer regardless if we trade Scal, Tony, Giddens or Walker now.  So we wouldn't have any more or less to offer we just wouldn't go as deep possibly into the luxury tax. 
There is a budget for how much Danny can spend, Wyc has said so. So while we'd still have all the exceptions to spend, Danny might be unable to do so and retain BBD.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 11:34:58 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
This rumor, if true, is incredibly informative. 

(1) It should console all those who saw the Pitt guys go in the early part of 2nd round that DA was in fact trying to get them.

(2) If true, it indicates that the Cs are under some serious financial pressure.  This is important to note, because it means as fans we should prepare ourselves for the big offseason FA signing to be Dahntay Jones for the vet min.  (No, I am not kidding or trying to exaggerate).
Celtics fan for life.