Author Topic: Fred Cusick (1919-2009)  (Read 2747 times)

Fred Cusick (1919-2009)
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:24:51 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/

Fred Cusick, the popular play-by-play voice for the Bruins for more than 40 years, has died, his family confirmed to the Globe this afternoon. He was 90 years old.

Cusick, who is scheduled to be inducted to the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame tomorrow night, was a signature voice of the Bruins during their 1970s heyday.

His simple trademark call of "Score!" whenever Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Cam Neely and countless other Bruins put the puck in the net served as familiar punctuation on their goals.

Jack Edwards, the current television voice of the Bruins on NESN's telecast, remembered Cusick as one of the greats of his profession, in part because of his passion for the sport.

"When you listened to Fred Cusick call a Bruins game, you knew this: he loved hockey with endless enthusiasm, and he was thrilled every night," Edwards said. "By sharing those qualities with those of us in his considerable audience, he pulled us closer to the game we all enjoy so much -- and he added to that enjoyment.

"I’m really sorry that we have lost such a passionate fan of hockey and such a good, humble man.

Upon returning from a tour of duty with the Navy during World War II, Cusick began his career with the Bruins in 1952, handling the play-by-play on their radio broadcasts until 1970.

In 1963, he led the push to get the Bruins on television, editing and voicing over tapes of the Bruins' Saturday night games, which would then air on Sundays. The replays were popular enough that the games aired on live TV within a couple of years.

"He actually started broadcasting Bruins games when radio stations would only carry the second and third periods," Edwards said. "When the game went on TV, he not only set a standard but also created the template. His outstanding vocal range was one of his best qualities -- I think he did some singing in choirs as a kid, and he matured into an excellent tenor. His spiking “Scooores!” calls are a part of broadcasting lore."

Cusick got to use the phrase a couple hundred times while calling the Bruins' 1970 Stanley Cup championship for WBZ-FM (1030). He then moved to television in '71, taking over play-by-play duties at Channel 38 and holding that position until 1997, when he retired after 45 years calling Bruins games.

He also was the play-by-play voice of the Bruins on NESN from 1984 to '93.

Even in retirement, Cusick stayed busy. He broadcast AHL games for the Lowell Lock Monsters until 2002, when he stepped away from the microphone at age 83.

But his hockey legacy will be lasting in Boston.

"All of us who follow him as Bruins’ announcers will leave smaller footprints than Fred," Edwards said. "He cut the trail."

I know it's CELTICSblog, but this guy was the best growing up. If you liked the Bruins at all during his run, you probably feel a little sad like I do today. RIP Fred. Too bad this happened today, on the eve of his well deserved induction into the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

Re: Fred Cusick (1919-2009)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:30:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Johnny Most of the Bruins television era. You will be missed.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:30:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ah...man.  That's terrible news.

He was the "Voice of the Bruins."  He was the best.  I grew up watching and listening to him and the Turk on TV38 during the Bourque/Neely days.

His voice was so distinctive and just seemed synonymous with hockey for me.  Definitely a sports figure in my childhood.

It's too bad.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
He was an icon.  Sad to hear.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 07:24:54 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sGoGEjvvWrQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sGoGEjvvWrQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

rip