Author Topic: Memphis Variation with Minn  (Read 1155 times)

Memphis Variation with Minn
« on: June 24, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »

Offline Rondo2Giddens

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Mem In: Rondo, #5, Minn future 1st
Mem Out: Conley, Gay, #2

Minn In: #2
Minn Out: #5, #18, future first

Bos In: Conley, Gay, #18
Bos Out Rondo

This is just the framework of the trade, I'm sure some contracts need to be added to make it work, but these are just the major players.

Memphis moves their #2 and moves back to get a player they think can play there, who will probably be thabeet anyway if rubio goes 2. They get a future first for the swap as well. And land Rondo, the best known quantity in the deal

Minn gets the #2 without having to give up both of their top ten picks. This is an ideal situation for them

Boston gets a deal that a lot of fans are already in favor of, then adds the 18 pick. Which would be a good chance to pick up a backup PG, or backup big. Ty Lawson, Eric Maynor, Jeff Teague should all still be available around here. Its just a better version of the memphis trade we are all already talking about.

Which team, if any of the three, doesn't do this?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:11:31 PM by Rondo2Giddens »

Re: Memphis Variation with Minn
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
     Dude if this happens i would be so stoked. Gay comes into the starting lineup or shares the starting role at the 2/3 with Pierce/Allen, giving them fresh legs, and giving us the best four-fiddle combination in the league. Our bench scoring is addressed as well. Conley will be as effective as our team would need the PG to be. We don't need Rondo trying to do as much as he did when KG went down, because when it comes down to it, I want to see all the shots being taken by Allen, Pierce, KG (and Gay if this happens) anyway.
    The only thing I would switch is Memphis getting the future 1st rather thanus and also the #18 pick now because we are getting back too much and Memphis gives up too much for this season. It is a genius trade though because it allows Minn to get the exact player they want with the 2, and then they can go with their gut on the #6 and not come away looking like idiots. (they probably get Thabeet w/ 2 and then Curry/Flynn/Jennings with the 6). The debate becomes if they would give the #18 plus another 1st to do so...I would say yes if they are high enough on who they want at #2.) The #28 pick can also be considered rather than the #18, especially if Minn is including an additional 1st rounder (top 10 protected in case they score big in the 2010/11 lottery)
     Memphis looks to be giving up a lot, which is why they should probably get the future 1st and the #18/28 back because Gay is a star, Conley is solid enough, and the #2 pick is valubal. But they get a HUGE upgrade at the PG spot and a sure thing in Rondo, still retain a pick in the top 5, and extend their rebuilding with the additional 1st this year, the future pick, and expiring money with Scals and Pruitt if they waive him on arrival (nearly 4mil).
     Minn and Memphis both end up with trades that give them more of a sure thing out of the draft then they currently have. This trade makes Minny's prior trade with the Wizz complete in landing their #1 target in the draft, and Memphis gets Rondo who is going to be way better for them then anyone they would pick up with the #2. They also don't have to give up on the lottery to make this happen, and it buys them a couple more seasons of low-cap status.
    Boston does this because of the definite headache Rondo (and mostly his agent) is going to be when he wants a CP3 payday even though his ability to be a go-to scorer is a couple years away (maybe). We get the bench help we need, with our starting lineup taking a step back slightly, which overall helps the team IMHO. If Gay/Conley really pans out, then we can also think about a pre-deadline trade sending Ray for more role players, in which he could likely get bought out and return to us for the title run. We then secure our future and gain far more control over our cap-situation then we would by simply standing pat.

Here is my final version of the trade:

Mem In: Rondo, Scal, JR Giddens, Pruitt, #5, #18 or 28, Minn future 1st
Mem Out: Gay, Conley, Darrel Arthur, #2

Minn In: #2
Minn Out: #5, #18 or 28, future 1st (top 10 protected)

Bos In: Gay, Conley, Darrel Arthur
Bos Out: Rondo, Scal, JR Giddens, Pruitt

It looks like a lot of players but Pruitt is likely waived unless Memphis wants to take a flyer on he and Giddens. They also get expiring money from Scal, so this is a solid rebuilding trade in which their team has the two most important positions taken care of (Rondo at PG, Gasol at C) as their foundation. They still have Mayo at the 2, and the #5 and #18 will be players they want in their new system.

The Celts are doing a 4 for 3 swap that addresses half of their off-season needs, only leaving them to have to split the MLE/LLE to get a backup C and vet PG to share the floor with Conley. Darrel Arthur then becomes a steal for us in the trade having the best 3/4 in the league to learn from.

New Lineup

Conley/Vet PG/ *House
Ray/*House/Gay/T. Allen
Pierce/Gay/D. Arthur/B. Walker             
KG/*Powe/*Davis/D. Arthur
Perk/*Davis/Vet-Big/Moore (bye bye)

I think Davis takes a walk for more money then he's worth, Powe resigns due to his injury, and hopefully we can then get Andre Miller/Marbury (LLE and part of MLE) and either ZaZa/Birdman/McDyess (remainder or MLE). I also think Gay on this team makes Ray expendable and we can then flip his contract/veteran services to either a team looking to 2010 FA or their own playoff run.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 03:28:31 PM by sdceltsfan »