Author Topic: Who is Jonny Flynn?  (Read 4108 times)

Who is Jonny Flynn?
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
All I know is that he played in the Big East which supposedly "toughest" conference.

As a College basketball fan, how would you evaluate him? Potential now & in 5 years?

Re: Who is Jonny Flynn?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:42:48 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think he's going to be an electric scoring point, think Kevin Johnson.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
He reminds me of Allen Iverson in his first few years or what highlights i've seen of AI in that time. He definitely won't be as prolific of a player though.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
After seeing him play several games at Syracuse I am confident that he will be a star in this league.  Explosive athlete, extreme competitor.  Kept Syracuse in many games that talent wise they shouldnt have been in such as the UCONN overtime game.  See's the court very well.  Great at cutting to the basket.  Not great jumpshot.  Super quick, great passer, the only thing I am concerned about with his is that he played a zone for the past two years, and isnt used to covering people one on one. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Extremely quick and elusive.  Very confident and competitive. Solid point guard.  I thought he was a pretty good defender for the college level. 

My biggest concern with him is his size. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 12:51:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
He reminds me of Allen Iverson in his first few years or what highlights i've seen of AI in that time. He definitely won't be as prolific of a player though.

I think he's the only point guard that can make a real impact in the next year as a "true point guard". Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings are probably better long term prospects, but Johnny Flynn is a player.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I think he's the only point guard that can make a real impact in the next year as a "true point guard". Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings are probably better long term prospects, but Johnny Flynn is a player.

Rubio isn't a true PG? or you think he's gonna be an el busto?
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 12:57:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Rubio isn't a true PG? or you think he's gonna be an el busto?

Actually I forgot about him. I also think he's a better long term prospect, but I remember Sarunas Jasikevicus, so Im not ready to drop being wary.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I think he's both smart and athletic. He's undersized but he has tremendous hops that make up for it. He's a good passer and a streaky shooter. He's also very clutch. Though sometimes he does seem like he has a shoot first mentality.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »

Offline CeltsGM21

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
I am a big Syracuse fan, so I may be a bit biased, but Flynn is very explosive, quick, has a good IQ, works hard, has good endurance, and can even shoot the ball.  He is little, but he uses his size to his advantage-- quickly slicing through traffic-- and is able to finish at the basket.  I am big on Flynn.  The only way I would want to see Rondo go is if we have a chance at Flynn.  I have heard that Ainge might be big on him too.  Like I said, I would hate to give up Rondo or Ray, but what if we traded both of them to the Bucks for Redd and the #10 pick, where we could draft Flynn?  Just a thought.  Right now, that would be the only trade I can think about that might make it worth it for me to let go of those two.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 01:08:49 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
He's the second best player in this draft.  Probably will go down as the one or two guys in this class who become All Stars at some point in the league.

He reminds me a smaller version of Rondo with more scoring ability.  He can shoot the 3 too, which makes his quickness deadly to guard against.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 01:10:20 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Flynn is nasty. I expect this kid to be great in this league. Terrific first step and ballhandler. Like others have mentioned, it seems like he is a little into his offense at times. He is a freakish athlete. 40+ inch vert, great quickness, a pickpocket. Haven't seen a lot of Rubio yet, but I'd be willing to bet that Flynn turns out to be the best point in this draft.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
here is a mix, this guy can't just 6feet tall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U65I6UB9og

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 01:16:27 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
I attend Syracuse University and have seen Flynn play in person about 15 times. He is the player with the biggest heart that I have ever seen. Ever. He will never back down. He simply loves playing basketball. He has all the intangibles a point guard needs and has a decent shot. He's a great defender for his size.

The only reason why Flynn is not considered a top 3 pick in this draft is because of his size. He is listed at 6 feet, although I would be surprised if he cleared 5-10. I have even talked to before one night when he was in my dorm, and I am definitely taller than him at 6 feet. He is short, but has a vertical of over 40 inches. He has Nate Robinson athleticism, as he performed a windmill slam after a whistle in a game this year.

I see him as one of the top two prospects in this draft. His fearless style of play is a lot like Rondo's, but is much more polished offensively. He has Rondo's swagger without the cockiness. He is not as good defensively as Rondo, but tries much harder, putting them at about the same level. Flynn can be flashy, but would much rather get an assist than a bucket himself. He is a born leader and any team would love to have him.

I project him going 5/6 to the Wolves... Flynn and Big Al would sure have a lot of fun together.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Better find out quickly, after all he will be a Celtic after tomorrow night!

Nasty point guard, can get to the rim at will.