Author Topic: Bringing Everything Together  (Read 2770 times)

Bringing Everything Together
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:30:15 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Here are two trades that tie together a number of rumors, that put Boston in a great position to add their 18'th banner.

Trade 1: Rondo, Walker, T. Allen, Pruitt for Gay and Conley

If Memphis is interested in Gay & Conley for Rondo, Walker puts it over the top. They get the most talented player in the deal, and avoid paying two players in two years.

Prior to the second deal, Boston needs to discus future contract expectations with Ray Allen. If Ray is interested in playing for championships until he retires, I think this works:

Trade 2: Gay and R. Allen for Thompson, Nocioni, Garcia, Udrih distant future first

Sacramento buys out the final year of Allen's contract for $14 million. The buyout and moving Nocioni, Garcia, Udrih and Thompson saves them $58 million over the next three years. The trade boils down to Gay and a ton os cap space / salary savings for Thompson and a future first. Sacramento goes forward building around Rubio-Martin-Gay-Hawes and a ton of cap.

Boston re-signs Ray after the waiting period for the full MLE over four years. As has been discussed, Conley is probably a step back from Rondo, but not a major one - he is younger, a willing defender, and shot 40% from three last season.

Udrih is a solid backup that can also handle and shoot, even with his terrible contract. Garcia is a top-notch backup shooting guard with deep range and starting experience. Nocioni is a perfect fit at swing forward, and Thompson is a talented young big that rebounds and defends, with the size and mobility to play the four or five. The future first is just gravy, here is your 2009-2010 championship roster:

Conley - Udrih - House
Allen - Garcia - Giddens
Pierce - Nocioni
Garnett - Scalabrine - Powe
Perkins - Thompson

We are a little across the tax line for the next couple seasons, but no more so than the previous two (Projected cap comitments $80M, $80M, $52M, $21M).
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

Re: Bringing Everything Together
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why would we want to take Sacramento's three worst contracts and give up Gay? All for Jason Thompson and a pick?

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 08:53:17 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
you traded away both Allen's, who's that guy in the starting lineup?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 08:54:54 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
Our starting five are still tops in a league, and our 6-9 just went from Marbury, House, Powe, Davis to Nocioni, Thompson, Garcia and Udrih - the top reserve unit in the league.

We do all of this without significant additions to payroll.

The contracts are horrible for a rebuilding team because they push Sacramento over the cap. We are allready over the cap (and will remain there), so the contracts do not matter as much - just the talent.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:57:09 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Here are two trades that tie together a number of rumors, that put Boston in a great position to add their 18'th banner.

Trade 1: Rondo, Walker, T. Allen, Pruitt for Gay and Conley

If Memphis is interested in Gay & Conley for Rondo, Walker puts it over the top. They get the most talented player in the deal, and avoid paying two players in two years.

Prior to the second deal, Boston needs to discus future contract expectations with Ray Allen. If Ray is interested in playing for championships until he retires, I think this works:

Trade 2: Gay and R. Allen for Thompson, Nocioni, Garcia, Udrih distant future first

Sacramento buys out the final year of Allen's contract for $14 million. The buyout and moving Nocioni, Garcia, Udrih and Thompson saves them $58 million over the next three years. The trade boils down to Gay and a ton os cap space / salary savings for Thompson and a future first. Sacramento goes forward building around Rubio-Martin-Gay-Hawes and a ton of cap.

Boston re-signs Ray after the waiting period for the full MLE over four years. As has been discussed, Conley is probably a step back from Rondo, but not a major one - he is younger, a willing defender, and shot 40% from three last season.

Udrih is a solid backup that can also handle and shoot, even with his terrible contract. Garcia is a top-notch backup shooting guard with deep range and starting experience. Nocioni is a perfect fit at swing forward, and Thompson is a talented young big that rebounds and defends, with the size and mobility to play the four or five. The future first is just gravy, here is your 2009-2010 championship roster:

Conley - Udrih - House
Allen - Garcia - Giddens
Pierce - Nocioni
Garnett - Scalabrine - Powe
Perkins - Thompson

We are a little across the tax line for the next couple seasons, but no more so than the previous two (Projected cap comitments $80M, $80M, $52M, $21M).

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 08:57:46 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
you traded away both Allen's, who's that guy in the starting lineup?

The second deal hinges on Ray accepting a buyout from Sacramento to return to the Celtics - something discussed prior to the trade going down.

Sacramento would probably rather save $5 million and position itself for the lottery than keep Ray around next season - in this scenario I do not even see Ray flying out for the media session.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Hilarious.  I laughed out loud.  TP
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:04:49 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

Hilarious.  I laughed out loud.  TP

thx for the tp, i appreciate it

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 09:06:59 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Is there any way we could also dump Pierce and Garnett and their bloated salaries for some more backups and role players?