Author Topic: Ryan Gomes Back to Boston?  (Read 2047 times)

Ryan Gomes Back to Boston?
« on: June 24, 2009, 12:51:56 AM »

Offline RD3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Here's a trade idea that would satisfy a lot of Celtics fans...

Bos Gets: Ryan Gomes

Minn Gets: Tony Allen & JR Giddens

It seems as if the new GM in Minnesota is starting to clear house and wants to build his own team, ala Danny Ainge. He is also looking for some cap releif, (who isn't these days). This move would save them about 4 million next offseason. Also, aside from who they may draft on Wed, this team could seriously use some help on the wings after trading Foye and Mike Miller. Allen is basically a low risk player with an expiring contract and Giddens may show some life if given solid playing time. For the Celts, they get back a familiar face with a big body who can back up Pierce and give the team some quality minutes off the bench at both the 3 and 4 spots. I've always thought that Gomes was one of those players that when on a championship team could excell and be a great role player. One can only hope.

Re: Ryan Gomes Back to Boston?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:02:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It seems as if the new GM in Minnesota is starting to clear house and wants to build his own team, ala Danny Ainge. He is also looking for some cap releif, (who isn't these days). This move would save them about 4 million next offseason. Also, aside from who they may draft on Wed, this team could seriously use some help on the wings after trading Foye and Mike Miller. Allen is basically a low risk player with an expiring contract and Giddens may show some life if given solid playing time. For the Celts, they get back a familiar face with a big body who can back up Pierce and give the team some quality minutes off the bench at both the 3 and 4 spots. I've always thought that Gomes was one of those players that when on a championship team could excell and be a great role player. One can only hope.
If Minnesota's new GM wants to clear house and bring in his own guys and he considers Tony Allen and JR Giddens guys he wants over Ryan Gomes, I feel really, really, really sorry for TWolf fans.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 01:05:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If Minnesota's new GM wants to clear house and bring in his own guys and he considers Tony Allen and JR Giddens guys he wants over Ryan Gomes, I feel really, really, really sorry for TWolf fans.

Or he wants cap space. I don't think Milwaukee really got guys they wanted over Jefferson, did they?

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:12:37 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
  Or he wants cap space. I don't think Milwaukee really got guys they wanted over Jefferson, did they?

Perhaps, but Bowen, Oberto and Kurt Thomas versus JR Giddens and Turnover Always.  C'mon now.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 01:18:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Ummm, that would clear about $500,000 in cap space next year and $3 million the following year when they are already paying out only $27 million in total contracts counting every option being picked up. Considering Bobby Brown accounts for $1 million of that $27 million number and that the team could easily cancel the Gomes' contract because it's not guaranteed after 2010, why do the Wolves need to make the trade to clear cap space?

So I don't see clearing cap or saving money as being a motivation in this particular trade when the Wolves could just as soon waive him after next year and clear more money than trading for Tony and JR and being obligated to Giddens for one more year at least.