Author Topic: Michael Finley to Boston?  (Read 4420 times)

Michael Finley to Boston?
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:01:44 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
With Jefferson now on the Spurs, I believe that Michael Finley could be a good addition as the backup 2/3 for the C's. Ainge has gone after him in the past and he's shown interest, so now might be the time to bring him in. I think he'd be rather affordable too, so we could still pursue a big man. If the Spurs bring back Bowen, I think we'd have even a better shot at Finley.

I'd go to war with this squad:

Rondo, Marbury
Ray, House
Paul, Finley, Walker
KG, Baby, Powe, Scal
Perk, McDyess

Edit: Forgot House :-[
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 07:10:22 PM by johnnyrondo »

Re: Michael Finley to Boston?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Finley's ancient, though. I'd be nervous if he were our only major wing reserve.  The same fear applies to Grant Hill, but I think Grant Hill is a little bit younger.  Still, he wouldn't be a bad pickup.

If we had a guy like Quinton Ross as the third guy behind Hill or Finley playing for us at the Vet. Min then I'd be confident with that.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
Finley's ancient, though. I'd be nervous if he were our only major wing reserve.  The same fear applies to Grant Hill, but I think Grant Hill is a little bit younger.  Still, he wouldn't be a bad pickup.

If we had a guy like Quinton Ross as the third guy behind Hill or Finley playing for us at the Vet. Min then I'd be confident with that.

Finley played 86 games for the Spurs last year. Here's his game log: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_finley/game_by_game_stats.html

He averaged 29 minutes per game last year. I believe backing up Pierce and Ray he would be able to cut down minutes and be more effective then.

I forgot House in my roster of 12 btw. My bad Eddie. House would be able to be the third pg (2nd pg if Marbury goes somewhere else) and also back up Ray. I wouldn't worry about Finley. He's much less an injury risk than Hill.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:56:35 PM »

Offline skieking

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
That would give us the PP backup, but in my mind, the PP backup needs to be 2 things.  A guy who can play smart on offense, and a guy who can help guard the other teams best player when needed.  I can't see Finley causing Lebron any problems like posey was able to do.
I would love to see Q Ross backing up Pierce, hes a smart player, plays excellent D, is still quick enough to stay in front of people, and can be had for cheap..

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
That would give us the PP backup, but in my mind, the PP backup needs to be 2 things.  A guy who can play smart on offense, and a guy who can help guard the other teams best player when needed.  I can't see Finley causing Lebron any problems like posey was able to do.
I would love to see Q Ross backing up Pierce, hes a smart player, plays excellent D, is still quick enough to stay in front of people, and can be had for cheap..

Well I wanted the C's to sign Ross last Summer, but the thing is I just don't think Danny is fond of his game for some reason. I mean he was there for the taking all Summer and had to eventually sign with one of the worst teams for peanuts.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I know we need a veteran but guys like finley and bowen are way too veteran too add to this team. We need a young athletic 2/3 who can play defense off the bench... Paul Ray and Kg are getting old enough.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
finley in boston...yeah

6 years ago maybe

today...?..naw

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
finley in boston...yeah

6 years ago maybe

today...?..naw

6 years ago he was a big time starter and unaffordable. Now he's affordable and would be a great backup swingman.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:00:55 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
finley in boston...yeah

6 years ago maybe

today...?..naw

6 years ago he was a big time starter and unaffordable. Now he's affordable and would be a great backup swingman.

walker would be cheaper....

bring #8 home

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 09:06:14 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29

Finley played 86 games for the Spurs last year. Here's his game log: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_finley/game_by_game_stats.html

He averaged 29 minutes per game last year. I believe backing up Pierce and Ray he would be able to cut down minutes and be more effective then.

I forgot House in my roster of 12 btw. My bad Eddie. House would be able to be the third pg (2nd pg if Marbury goes somewhere else) and also back up Ray. I wouldn't worry about Finley. He's much less an injury risk than Hill.

And he only averaged 8 ppg and 3 rpg in those 29 mins as a starter. To be honest I'm hoping who ever we get as a backup could manage that in 20 or so mins a game AND be able to play consistent defense. I don't think Finley can do that anymore. He can sure still shoot the 3 ball tho.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i would add(just my opinion) that finley is a BAD passer.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 09:18:38 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I wouldn't mind him, but I'd prefer him to be our 4th swingman, rather than the guy we'd rely on to primarily backup Pierce and Allen in the playoffs.  Problem is, with TA, Giddens, and Walker all under contract next year, can we really afford to add Finley and someone else?  I'm not so sure.  If we dump TA in a trade and signed Hill, I wouldn't mind Finley at the minimum for insurance. 

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 09:25:04 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
At this point in his career, the guy just doesn't interest me, not even as a twelfth man.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think the Spurs will keep him.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 03:10:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Finley has a player option, no? It looks like retirement or sticking with the Spurs. He's not opting out of $2.5mil or whatever that contract pays him, because he won't make it elsewhere.

He's not on the market ... if he was on the market, I wouldn't want the Celtics to sign him, he's a bad player, one of the main reasons why San Antonio's supporting cast is so weak. I suppose I could live with him as the fourth wing in the rotation, but there are others I'd rather in that role (Ross).