Author Topic: Minor trade idea to improve our bench.  (Read 3759 times)

Minor trade idea to improve our bench.
« on: June 23, 2009, 04:27:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Small trade idea that might help our bench next year:

Milwaukee gets:
Scal ($3.2M, expiring)
Pruitt (711k, expiring)
2009 58th pick

Boston gets:
Kurt Thomas (4.2M, expiring)

Trade works with the current salaries - Milwaukee gets to shed an extra 300k in salary, take a look at Pruitt as a backup PG, and take a flier with our draft pick (we'd make the pick for them since the trade can't go through for awhile).  We get a tough backup PF/C to play the PJ Brown role for us, and drop his salary next year if he doesn't pan out.  I think this would be a good deal for us, but I'm not sure if Milwaukee would take it if they want Thomas to provide a vet presence, or to simply buy him out.  Thoughts?

Re: Minor trade idea to improve our bench.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:53:05 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Even though they have different games, I don't see Thomas as that much of an upgrade over Scal. I'll pass.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 04:53:42 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Small trade idea that might help our bench next year:

Milwaukee gets:
Scal ($3.2M, expiring)
Pruitt (711k, expiring)
2009 58th pick

Boston gets:
Kurt Thomas (4.2M, expiring)

Trade works with the current salaries - Milwaukee gets to shed an extra 300k in salary, take a look at Pruitt as a backup PG, and take a flier with our draft pick (we'd make the pick for them since the trade can't go through for awhile).  We get a tough backup PF/C to play the PJ Brown role for us, and drop his salary next year if he doesn't pan out.  I think this would be a good deal for us, but I'm not sure if Milwaukee would take it if they want Thomas to provide a vet presence, or to simply buy him out.  Thoughts?

Milwaukee might be interested in this, since Pruitt's deal is partially guaranteed; they could cut him, and trim some additional payroll off their books for the upcoming season.

The Bucks might want to keep Thomas around, however.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 04:53:45 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Take advantage of someone being taken advantage of. I like it.  Though I think we can do better then Kurt Thomas.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If we don't get Dice or Sheed, I'd seriously consider making that trade. 

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Thomas will make less money next year than this year; his contract declines to $3.8 mil.

That's low enough to do a straight swap of Scal for Thomas, or even Tony Allen plus Pruitt, after July 1.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Thomas will make less money next year than this year; his contract declines to $3.8 mil.

That's low enough to do a straight swap of Scal for Thomas, or even Tony Allen plus Pruitt, after July 1.

I'm on board with the Tony + Pruitt deal.  Pruitt's deal is non-guaranteed, so the Bucks could cut him and save roughly $1.3 million.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 05:11:23 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I'm on board with the Tony + Pruitt deal.  Pruitt's deal is non-guaranteed, so the Bucks could cut him and save roughly $1.3 million.

Yeah.  Even if we got Antonio McDyess, I'd still like that deal.  Can never hurt to have extra vet big men, especially if involves dealing two players that we don't really need.  Also wouldn't be bad to have him as additional insurance in case Davis walks. 

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Yeah, I'll sign on to this one, also. Kurt can still contribute some good things.

Yeah.  Even if we got Antonio McDyess, I'd still like that deal.  Can never hurt to have extra vet big men, especially if involves dealing two players that we don't really need.  Also wouldn't be bad to have him as additional insurance in case Davis walks. 
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 05:25:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That'd be a solid deal for the C's.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Good idea. TA + Pruitt for Thomas. Milwaukee gets another 1.3M to put towards resigning Sessions/CV and we get a solid vet big.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 05:41:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I agree - this is a much better deal.  I based my salary #s on the ESPN trade machine, and TA + Pruitt didn't work.  I guess that was last year's salary.  TP for upgrading my proposal, though the Bucks may want a big in return, and could rationalize Scal as a decent glue guy at a discount. I also still think we would need to throw in some kind of low pick, especially if it's TA and Pruitt.

Also RE: Dice and Sheed, this move doesn't touch any of our exceptions, so we could still sign one of them as well.  Thomas + Dice/Sheed gives us a lot of leverage in the Big Baby negotiations too, and might make him completely expendable.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 03:04:45 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Interesting idea ...

Kurt's game has declined a lot over the past two seasons. His legs don't move well anymore, needs to play center full time these days. Good interior defender and good rebounder, good midrange shot, weak in most other areas.

I don't think Thomas is good enough to be the first big off the bench anymore. He could be the second big off the bench, or the fifth big in the rotation, he'd be solid-to-good in those roles. As long as the team aren't giving up anything meaningful to land him, I'm all for it.

I'd be happier with Oberto. He has more mobility and can defend screen and rolls better, is a comparable rebounder, and a much better all round offensive player despite having no jump shot.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 03:32:26 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Love all these ideas.  Would love to get Kurt Thomas and we can afford to trade away all the pieces mentioned.  Kurt would be a great fit here off the bench.  His best quality is his ability to defend elite big men 1 on 1 in the post.  Well its very likely we'll see Howard again (with Jameer Nelson back) and possibly even Shaq or Boozer (Cleveland has to do something this off season) during our next post season run, so what a great role Thomas would fill for us.  He can also knock down the open J which is always a huge asset for any big man.  Like others, not so sure if Milwaukee would bite.  I'd add in Giddens for Milwaukee's 2nd rounder if needed because I'd really like Thomas.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur