Author Topic: Bruce Bowen to Boston?  (Read 8579 times)

Re: Bruce Bowen to Boston?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Do we need another older player? We might be running out of those walkers with the tennis balls on them!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Do we need another older player? We might be running out of those walkers with the tennis balls on them!

good call, much better strategy to continue to take on other people's trash with potential and overrate our own than get proven vets who know how to win.

That strategy certainly didn't work out with posey, house, sam and PJ, if only we had gone with young untested scrubs in 2008, we might have finished better that year!

I mean, just look at our track record of success last year compared to that off season right?

POB worked out so well last year after all.

and TA really seized that opportunity to live up to his potential and fill james posey's shoes.

and how about that gabe pruitt kid huh? Nothing but upside for that young man!

J.R was also key, glad i was told by posters here and the team alike that he would be ready to contribute right away, otherwise i might have had doubts!

And bill walkers dunks in blow outs? don't get me started!

Why, with success like that, how could the front office possibly consider bringing in guys who know how to play basketball at a high level to complement our core while we still have a legit shot at championships? It truly does boggle the mind.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell

good call, much better strategy to continue to take on other people's trash with potential and overrate our own than get proven vets who know how to win.

That strategy certainly didn't work out with posey, house, sam and PJ, if only we had gone with young untested scrubs in 2008, we might have finished better that year!

I mean, just look at our track record of success last year compared to that off season right?

and TA really seized that opportunity to live up to his potential and fill james posey's shoes.

J.R was also key, glad i was told by posters here and the team alike that he would be ready to contribute right away, otherwise i might have had doubts!

Why, with success like that, how could the front office possibly consider bringing in guys who know how to play basketball at a high level to complement our core while we still have a legit shot at championships? It truly does boggle the mind.

Posey isn't 38, I am fine with signing vets but not older vets. I understand PJ worked out he is the exception, we also had Cassel and he didn't work out too great. I'd rather us sign another free agent a little younger than Bowen. Maybe someone like Matt Barnes.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 04:56:47 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

TP.

Bowen would be an excellent addition.  While I'd probably prefer Grant Hill, if Bowen came at the minimum allowing us to use our MLE to upgrade at the 4/5, I think it would be a phenomenal signing. 

And it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest that we don't need more older players.  As Ainge rightfully pointed out this morning, outside of our Big Three, this team is actually very young.  If anything, we need more veteran help at the wing.  And to those wanting Bill Walker to get minutes, if he's really so good and Bowen is really so washed up, then Bowen shouldn't get in the way.  However, unlike last year, I'd like to have a backup plan in place in case TA, Walker, and Giddens don't work out again. 

And for those suggesting Bowen is dirty, it's not like the C's are angels themselves.  Perk is a thug (and I love him for it), Rondo's done some pretty nasty things, and Posey pulled all sorts of cheap things when he was here.  I think Bowen would be fine here. 

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 05:18:34 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

TP.

Bowen would be an excellent addition.  While I'd probably prefer Grant Hill, if Bowen came at the minimum allowing us to use our MLE to upgrade at the 4/5, I think it would be a phenomenal signing. 

And it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest that we don't need more older players.  As Ainge rightfully pointed out this morning, outside of our Big Three, this team is actually very young.  If anything, we need more veteran help at the wing.  And to those wanting Bill Walker to get minutes, if he's really so good and Bowen is really so washed up, then Bowen shouldn't get in the way.  However, unlike last year, I'd like to have a backup plan in place in case TA, Walker, and Giddens don't work out again. 

And for those suggesting Bowen is dirty, it's not like the C's are angels themselves.  Perk is a thug (and I love him for it), Rondo's done some pretty nasty things, and Posey pulled all sorts of cheap things when he was here.  I think Bowen would be fine here. 

TP. I want a veteran behind Pierce. Walker's not going to be ready next year, and it's not clear whether Giddens ever will be.

Plus, the key mistake of last season - never filling the backup 3 role - cannot be repeated again or we'll see the same Pierce in the playoffs.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 05:44:41 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
He gets cut by Milwaukee and ends back in San Antonio.

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He's going back to SA.  no doubt about it. 

He wouldn't be bad as the second wing option off the bench but I think Danny needs to get someone a little better.  preferably with experience and not well into their 30's and needless to say, still has talent.

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 06:04:50 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
I'd rather see Grant Hill as Jon stated, or someone like Childress.
I just feel we do not need more age.I understand Hill his one year younger than Bowen but I prefere Hill, He's the next Micheal Jordan he is still just waiting to break out!LOL
L.A. Clippers

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 06:50:17 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bowen is exactly what we need, that backup wing player. He can defend well, he adds that toughness and grit, and he has the championship experience. I would sign Bowen to Vet.Min. if he was 50.

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 07:00:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I nominate this post as winner of this year's Best Sarcastic Post Award!! TPs for this. You made my day!!

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Don't want him, shadow of his former self as a defender and scorer.  Would take him for minimum money but he's not in my top 5 backup wings I'd be interested in at this point.

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 09:16:28 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
there are different kinds of dirty. bruuce bowen should have been banned from the league  years ago. deliberately sliding your foot beneath an opposing player should get you a broken arm hitman style.if he even fakes doing that he's an unbelievable coward. i absolutely HATE bruce bowen. i'd rather shake kobe bryant's hand and say congrats(oh my god i'm gonna puke) then have bowen a celtic again.
  now, if you don't believe bowen does these things i respectfully disagree but if you believe he does don't you think he should he deserves to be expelled permanently? i just can't deal with this guy wearing green again.

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 09:53:31 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
there are different kinds of dirty. bruuce bowen should have been banned from the league  years ago. deliberately sliding your foot beneath an opposing player should get you a broken arm hitman style.if he even fakes doing that he's an unbelievable coward. i absolutely HATE bruce bowen. i'd rather shake kobe bryant's hand and say congrats(oh my god i'm gonna puke) then have bowen a celtic again.
  now, if you don't believe bowen does these things i respectfully disagree but if you believe he does don't you think he should he deserves to be expelled permanently? i just can't deal with this guy wearing green again.

Was Rondo's clothesline of Brad Miller or Perk's countless throwdowns really any cleaner that what Bowen's done?

And to give you some historical perspective, Wilt Chamberlain has been quoted saying that it's a good thing Jordan didn't play in his era because players who tried to get cute with dunks would have had their legs taken out from under them. 

I'm not approving of everything Bowen has done; but, I think there's a lot of players that would be banned from the league that you would want in green if we really closely examined this matter. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:59:51 PM by Jon »

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 10:12:58 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Bowen is done. He was dirty now he is just old and dirty