Author Topic: The Movie Review Thread  (Read 12668 times)

Re: The Movie Review Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I'm glad people agree with me, I feel like a wuss.

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 12:41:35 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Alright, I'll try to rank the 2008 movies I've seen:

1. Dark Knight. Hard to beat.
2. Role Models. Love those guys (Stella, Wet Hot American Summer.) Laughed the whole time.
3. Rachel Getting Married. Incredible acting, great capturing of family dynamics and a very good portrayal of the disease of addiction and the swing of emotions that you, the viewer, goes through when dealing with an addict and the fallout thereof.
4. Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Puppets of Dracula's babies in a musical number? Fell out of my seat laughing.

5. Doubt

6. Wrestler

7. Hellboy 2. Love Del toro's stuff. Great imagery, and a fan of Hellboy in general

8. Pineapple Express. Another ridiculous, incredibly enjoyable comedy.

9. Appaloosa. Cool, fun Western take on the "Buddy" movie.

10. The Reader. Great acting, emotional, and difficult.

11. Hancock. Cool take on an action hero perspective.

12. Ironman

13. Hulk

14. Step Brothers. Fun.

15. Revolutionary Road

16. WallE

Tied for nearly unwatchable:
Taken, Burn After Reading*, Zach and Miri, Jumper.

*You may be surprised by this. I know I was surprised. I love comedies, I love quirky comedies, silly comedies, intellectual comedies, touching comedies ("dramadies"), etc. and I love the Coen brothers (Miller's Crossing, Lebowski, No Country, Hudsucker proxy, crimewave, barton fink, Raising arizona, fargo, are all among my favorite movies.). But I just did not like it at all; i thought about stopping it early and just shipping it back to netflix. couldn't connect to any character, hardly laughed at all, plot went nowhere (and not even in a good way, which is possible). Couldn't stand it.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

2. Role Models. Love those guys (Stella, Wet Hot American Summer.) Laughed the whole time.
3. Rachel Getting Married. Incredible acting, great capturing of family dynamics and a very good portrayal of the disease of addiction and the swing of emotions that you, the viewer, goes through when dealing with an addict and the fallout thereof.
4. Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Puppets of Dracula's babies in a musical number? Fell out of my seat laughing.

5. Doubt

6. Wrestler

7. Hellboy 2. Love Del toro's stuff. Great imagery, and a fan of Hellboy in general

12. Ironman

13. Hulk

14. Step Brothers. Fun.

15. Revolutionary Road

16. WallE

*You may be surprised by this. I know I was surprised. I love comedies, I love quirky comedies, silly comedies, intellectual comedies, touching comedies ("dramadies"), etc. and I love the Coen brothers (Miller's Crossing, Lebowski, No Country, Hudsucker proxy, crimewave, barton fink, Raising arizona, fargo, are all among my favorite movies.). But I just did not like it at all; i thought about stopping it early and just shipping it back to netflix. couldn't connect to any character, hardly laughed at all, plot went nowhere (and not even in a good way, which is possible). Couldn't stand it.

I thought jumper was real solid, and I agree burn after reading kinda stunk
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 03:49:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

5. Doubt

6. Wrestler

12. Ironman

13. Hulk

14. Step Brothers. Fun.

15. Revolutionary Road

16. WallE

you see push?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 05:24:07 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
No, no push.

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Jumper was so bad I cried. Push was a lot like Wanted...ie a good idea that came off as kind of rushed.

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 06:17:11 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Jumper was so bad I cried. Push was a lot like Wanted...ie a good idea that came off as kind of rushed.

i thought jumper was enjoyable.  not the best movie in the world, but a good dvd to rent.

push i thought was terrible.  hated everything about it.  the star wars geek in me cant like a movie that blatantly is based around the force and the force push.

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 08:17:31 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I watched 2 this weekend.

Soloist-This is that Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey Jr. movie about the musician. I thought it was good if you like dramas. I give it 3 stars.

Battle for Terra- This CGI movie really took me by surprise. It has the best sound I've heard on my hd audio system. The story is also not too bad. I give it a solid 3 stars.

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/the-soloist/30936/video/the-soloist-trailer-no-1/2253517

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/battle-for-terra/36649/video/battle-for-terra-trailer-no-1/2430396
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

i thought jumper was enjoyable.  not the best movie in the world, but a good dvd to rent.

push i thought was terrible.  hated everything about it.
  the star wars geek in me cant like a movie that blatantly is based around the force and the force push.

Dark Lord, I 100% agree.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

push i thought was terrible.  hated everything about it.  the star wars geek in me cant like a movie that blatantly is based around the force and the force push.

I didn't get the star wars thing. What is the difference between the force and the force push?

Cuz by push they didn't mean telekineisis

I probably just dunno what the force push is (i'm basing my knowledge here off of the KOTOR game)

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Yup ... I'm with ya Bud ... I actually loved Jumper, and I really didn't think I would ... but Push left me unimpressed ... to me it was just a cop of every "popular" sci-fi idea possible, thrown into a pot and stirred, and dumped out onto cels.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 10:20:06 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I just saw Where the Wild Things are and I thought it was great. If someone else has seen it pm me because I have a theory about it but I don't want to post it in case people haven't seen it yet.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 03:58:26 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Yup ... I'm with ya Bud ... I actually loved Jumper, and I really didn't think I would ... but Push left me unimpressed ... to me it was just a cop of every "popular" sci-fi idea possible, thrown into a pot and stirred, and dumped out onto cels.

The setting was not for me. I probably sound like a dumb American but I'd have preferred the story taking place in NY or LA.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
My wife and I watched Let the Right One In last night.  It's a foreign film (Sweden I think), with either voice over (pretty decent voice over in English actually) or subtitles.

It is the tale of a 12 year old boy living in an apartment complex with his Mom, and his neighbor - a vampire who is eternally trapped in the body of a 12 year old girl.  They form a very sweet friendship as he copes with bullies and puberty, and she deals with the lonely realities of survival as a vampire.

It was definitely not your typical vampire movie.  It was a mostly believable look into what it might be like to be a vampire in modern times (or to have your first crush/odd girl next door be a blood drinker).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/

Yup

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 12:12:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I watched Rocknrolla by Guy Ritchie.

I loved it.

Everything you WANTED Smokin' Aces to be, but Smokin Aces wasn't (that movie was god awful) RocknRolla was.

Typical Guy Ritchie with a definite splash of rocknroll.

It's on HBO's rotation now. Watch it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:22:41 AM by IndeedProceed »