Author Topic: Ridiculous Kendrick Perkins  (Read 14354 times)

Re: Ridiculous Kendrick Perkins
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 01:31:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think gold in general is a pretty ugly color, and its only value is its scarcity. Gold is always gaudy. I wish we would just use it for electronics where it is useful, but some people want to show off their wealth.

We are probably hard wired to think that white teeth are attractive, so it takes a major cultural phenomenon to overcome this and make a gold grill seem appealing.

Nevertheless, a fashion choice is a fashion choice. I see no reason to overreact.

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think gold in general is a pretty ugly color, and its only value is its scarcity. Gold is always gaudy. I wish we would just use it for electronics where it is useful, but some people want to show off their wealth.

We are probably hard wired to think that white teeth are attractive, so it takes a major cultural phenomenon to overcome this and make a gold grill seem appealing.

Nevertheless, a fashion choice is a fashion choice. I see no reason to overreact.

Out of curiosity, why do you think we are probably hard wired to think white teeth are attractive? I'd think that attraction to white teeth is a cultural phenomenon too.

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Out of curiosity, why do you think we are probably hard wired to think white teeth are attractive? I'd think that attraction to white teeth is a cultural phenomenon too.

Well, from an evolutionary standpoint, I would think whiter teeth are a sign of good health.  So it does make some sense. 

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2009, 01:52:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It is probably both.

From what I remember from my biology often times super white teeth in nature didn't mean that your teeth were particularly strong. Having all of your teeth and having them be straight is probably the biggest thing we'd notice right away. I know it is with me!

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 02:03:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Well, from an evolutionary standpoint, I would think whiter teeth are a sign of good health.  So it does make some sense. 

Yellow and black means that you have dirty teeth and have a digusting mouth. Same way you'd be attracted to someone who smells good.

I for one don't go "wow, did you look at that babe... she has white teeth, so hot". But I do go, "awesome, she doesn't have dirty teeth... we can proceed".

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 02:25:37 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76

Yellow and black means that you have dirty teeth and have a digusting mouth. Same way you'd be attracted to someone who smells good.

I for one don't go "wow, did you look at that babe... she has white teeth, so hot". But I do go, "awesome, she doesn't have dirty teeth... we can proceed".

I guess this is a bit off topic, but an interesting topic because color of teeth seems like a rather dynamic status indicator. A long time ago, yellow and black teeth (like being overweight) were attractive because it indicated you were wealthy enough to buy sugary foods. And not so long ago, tobacco and its associated mouth problems weren't perceived as ew gross. I just wonder if we really are wired to perceive white as the color of choice for teeth, or if preference for color of teeth is purely a cultural norm. In any case, Perk has the means to do whatever he wants with his teeth.

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Exactly.

But we have enormous frontal lobes, so culture can easily push us away from genetic biases.

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 02:38:30 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Exactly.

But we have enormous frontal lobes, so culture can easily push us away from genetic biases.

I dunno, i think while we can identify what is "instinctual" behavior easier due to our advanced brain, there are still plenty of examples of genetic predisposition left over from when we were less evolved, Teeth being one of them.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Exactly.

I dunno, i think while we can identify what is "instinctual" behavior easier due to our advanced brain, there are still plenty of examples of genetic predisposition left over from when we were less evolved, Teeth being one of them.

Uh, we are in agreement (except for the 'less evolved' part -- no such thing as 'less! evolved). I was pointing to the fact that culture can often overpower our genetic predispositions, but the predispositions are still powerful.

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 02:53:58 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
as long as he pulls down boards and plays hard...don't care

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Exactly.

Uh, we are in agreement (except for the 'less evolved' part -- no such thing as 'less! evolved). I was pointing to the fact that culture can often overpower our genetic predispositions, but the predispositions are still powerful.

I guess "technically" there's no such thing as less evolved,

but yes, i consider us "more" evolved than when we were chasing mammoths around the plains with spears. thus, we were "less" evolved back then.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2009, 03:00:53 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I'm going to make a fashion statement by wearing niblets of corn on each of my teeth.  Classy.   ;)

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
as long as he pulls down boards and plays hard...don't care
Yup, just as long as he's still the beast we know and love.

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 04:04:01 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
It looks completely rediculous and has 0 redeeming qualities.  And with as many people that complain about economy and unemployment one would think this type of stuff thing would be embarrassing for the ' teethie (er) '. But like has been mentioned previously to each his own.

Please hold the watch comparisons.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 04:21:40 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I hope he plays with the grill in that would be great.