Author Topic: If was Memphis...I would pick Rubio  (Read 2676 times)

If was Memphis...I would pick Rubio
« on: June 21, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I would call everybody's bluff and pick Rubio.

He clearly is coveted by many teams and if they aren't willing to deal before the draft they will after...

the agent will be upset, but Rubio wants to come over here so they will figure out a place for him to land.

plus, getting drafted second will give him the funds to pay for his buyout.

IMO, sooner rather than later,  a team like SAC will make a good enough offer to make it worth  it to have gambled taking a player that doesn't want to play for you.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:28:56 PM by IndeedProceed »

Re: If was Memphis...I would pick Rubio
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 01:38:35 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I don't know why he is so coveted? Even in Europe he didn't put spectacular numbers. I heard his buyout situation is very sticky, and may not play in the NBA for another season or two.

Hasheem Thabeet is the way to go for Memphis. You need a game changer at center. Just having him in the middle automatically improves their D.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:48:34 PM by Change »

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:42:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't know why he is so coveted? Even in Europe he didn't put spectator numbers. I heard his buyout situation is very sticky, and may not play in the NBA for another season or two.

Hasheem Thabeet is the way to go for Memphis. You need a game changer at center. Just having him in the middle automatically improves their D.
European style basketball doesn't produce NBA/College type statistics.

It all depends on Memphis's evaluation of their current PGs and the other picks in the draft. In the end I think you need to take whomever is the best player, no matter the baggage.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Mike Conley Jr should be traded first for a pick or a building block if they are serious about Rubio. Drafting Rubio first would be like taking the grizzlies' leverage and throwing it out the window.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Mike Conley Jr should be traded first for a pick or a building block if they are serious about Rubio. Drafting Rubio first would be like taking the grizzlies' leverage and throwing it out the window.

I don't think they lose any leverage. regardless of what any of us individually thinks of Rubio, there is a large demand for his services.

IMO, even if MEM doesn't want him for their team, he is the value pick at #2 because of the demand.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
didn't Memphis do this with Steve Francis back when they were in Vancouver...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 07:50:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Definitely, definitely. Perfect player for that ball club.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
It sucks to be Memphis.  Seems like nobody wants to play there...haha.

It's kind of unfair for potential draft picks to act like "I don't want you to pick me."  They should be grateful they are going to be picked to play in the NBA at all.

How are terrible teams supposed to get better if the great prospects don't want to play there?  :P
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 04:07:45 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I don't know why he is so coveted? Even in Europe he didn't put spectacular numbers. I heard his buyout situation is very sticky, and may not play in the NBA for another season or two.

Memphis, OKC, and Sacto will all regret for many years passing on Rubio. And Rubio was playing in the second best league in the world this past year at an age when American pg's are playing HS ball. I doubt Derrick Rose would have better numbers when he was a HS senior if he was playing in that league.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »

Offline Celtic#9

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 15

Memphis, OKC, and Sacto will all regret for many years passing on Rubio. And Rubio was playing in the second best league in the world this past year at an age when American pg's are playing HS ball. I doubt Derrick Rose would have better numbers when he was a HS senior if he was playing in that league.
I don't know if OKC will since they already have Westbrook... well maybe if they trade him.