Author Topic: BOS/MEM/NO trade idea  (Read 1213 times)

BOS/MEM/NO trade idea
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:28:53 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm sitting at work today and I'm thinking wow I've heard some pretty crazy trade ideas/rumors lately.  Ray and Rondo for Chris Paul.  Perk and Bill Walker for the #2.  Well I was thinking if NO really wants to start over if they are losing money and trade Paul they might as well dump as much salary as they can.  Memphis on the other hand in my opinion needs a PF more than anything.   Here is what I came up with (noticed there is a somewhat similar trade idea out there but mine doesn't include PHX).  I can't get the ESPN trade checker to work so I'm including the aprox total salaries coming in/going out.   

Bos: outgoing players Perkins, Scal, Ray Allen, Rondo, Pruitt, Giddens, future first 32 mil total
Bos: incoming players Chris Paul, Rudy Gay, Tyson Chandler, James Posey, Mo Pete.  28 mil

NO: outgoing players West, Chandler, Posey, Paul, Mo Pete, this year's first round pick (21st overall)and a future first.46 mil
NO: incoming players Ray, Rondo, Perkins, Scal, Pruitt, Giddens, Darko 39 mil, #2 pick, future first from Bos, (we have 1.5 trade excemption if we need it) 

Mem: outgoing players Gay, Darko, #2 pick 10 mil total
Mem: incoming David West , NO #21 pick, future first from NO, 9 mil total

Why for Boston:  We rid ourselves of the Rondo question if we pay him or not long term.  Instead of 1 young star in the backcourt we now have 2 we can have long term.   Ray may be better than Gay right now but I don't think so within 2 years and of course Paul is better than Rondo.  With this starting backcourt swap which is probably an upgrade now and long term we lose our starting center and take back a more injury prone less cap friendly center.  Posey and Peterson add experience to the wing spots though not cap friendly as well but a few not cap friendly contracts for a few years is worth it for Chris Paul.  Lastly we are sending out 6 players and getting 5 back so we open up an additional roster spot.

Our new roster looks like:
Paul/Marbury/House
Gay/T Allen/Mo Pete
Pierce/Posey/B Walker
KG/BBD/Powe
Chandler
2 open roster spots for hopefully McDyess and Pachulia

Why for NO:
Well if it's true they are a team that is losing money they may have to gut their roster and start over.  For this upcoming season they have 77 mil and 64 mil the following season in payroll. This trade really helps cut payroll for the following season with Ray, Darko and Scal coming off the books for about 29 mil (could still buy them out as well) and they now have cap friendly players in Perk, Rondo (for now), Pruitt, and Giddens.  They would be left with really only 1 bad contract in Peja instead of several.  They could pay Rondo 10 mil starting in 2010 and still save over 10 to 15 mil in this deal for 2010 in my math is right.  This deal helps save some face too.  Here is what their new roster would look like.  Pruitt and Giddens are like late first/early second round picks and they get a future first from us and swap picks with Memphis and move all the way up to the second pick.  Darko would be a low risk high reward player being in his last year of his contract.  Here is what their roster would look like.

Rondo/Daniels/Pruitt
Allen/Giddens/Butler
Peja/Wright/Scal
Darko/#2 pick however I would then consider trading down to get Jordan Hill or Dejuan Blair to fill their PF need and maybe pick up another player in the process.
Perkins/Armstrong

They also still get future first from us.  This team is not nearly as good without Paul and West but this team gives them a chance to start over and save a good amount of money.

Why for Mem:
They desperately need a PF and have too many guards.   With the second pick the only options really is a guard or Thabeet and I think Marc Gasol is a solid center.   With this trade they get a 2 time all star PF in West.  They can also still get a decent prospect with the pick the swapped with NO for the 21st pick and they get a future first as well.  An all star big man is harder to come by than a near all star swing player which is why NO not Memphis should get the better of the picks this year.  Their roster would look like.

Conley
Mayo
Warrick
West
Gasol

Pretty decent young base to start with  and they now have all the positions covered with at least 2 potential all stars in Mayo and West. 

A trade like this probably would never happen but I wanted to join in on the trade ideas and was getting bored;D

Re: BOS/MEM/NO trade idea
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:06:10 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
That is quite a large trade. In this climate, I can imagine N.O. needing to dump Paul in order to dump salary, but I think if they deal Paul they are going to need to dump Peja's contract, not Chandler's; Chandler is cheaper and a better asset. Thus we need to keep Perk. So, we'd ask N.O. if they want Rondo (more of a known quantity, but up for extension soon) or the #2 pick (Rubio, cost controlled for 4 years, etc.)

(Of course, any NO trade with CP3 depends on NO being desperate to save money.)

If NO prefers Rondo, we can do:
Ray, Rondo, Scal, Tony
for
C. Paul, Peja, Posey.

They save 6.5 right away and get rid of their worst and longest contracts and can rebuild with a smarter financial plan more suitable to their surroundings around Rondo, Wright, West, and the draft.

If NO prefers the #2, we can do a simultaneous three way (since players traded for can't be packaged):

1. Rondo for Darrell Arthur and the #2 (Memphis is under the cap and Arthur makes less than Rondo, so this works...obviously i'd prefer Gay, but I don't know if Memphis does #2 and Gay for Rondo, if they do, great).

2. Ray, Scal, Tony, Giddens, Pruitt, Arthur and #2 for Paul, Peja, Posey. (If memphis included Gay, we'd want to keep him and work a s&t involving a different player to make the #'s work right; should be possible considering the magnitude of contracts involved.)

Either way, the result is similar. NO starts over, and the C's go to battle with:

Paul
Peja
PP/Posey
KG
Perk

and go after MLE/LLE players that want to play with KG, PP and the best PG in the game.