Author Topic: Celts/Bobcats trade that works for both teams  (Read 4972 times)

Re: Celts/Bobcats trade that works for both teams
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 02:33:29 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Why do the Bobcats want Allen....this is not to demean him at all, but they are a missing link short of a contender

which in theory they could pursue better if they were 31 million under the cap in 2010, which this would accomplish.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
ok...now it makes sense

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 02:55:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I like Diaw quite a bit.  I don't like Wallace because he can't shoot.  Once again, substitute Diop and Bell for Wallace and it becomes a better deal.

The Bobcats are for sale.  Some team is going to exploit the fact that they need to clean up their salary structure to make the franchise more marketable.

I agree that this deal works better for the C's, but I still don't think they go near it, because of the money Diaw and Diop are owed.  

Danny and Wyc have been clear that they are willing to spend for the "right players", and I would find it hard to believe that they consider Diaw and Diop to be those guys.

Now, if they were able to turn it into a 3 way deal with Diaw and Bell coming to Boston, and Diop going elsewhere, it might work.

Perhaps a 3 way with Charlotte getting Allen and the 27th pick, Memphis getting Diop, and Boston getting Diaw, Bell, the 12th pick, and a nice trade exception.

That gives Charlotte some nice cap relief, as well as a veteran SG to help them make a run at the 8th seed this year, and hopefully sell some tickets.  It gives Memphis the defensive big man they desperately need without having to give up anything more than cap space and a late first rounder.  And for Boston they get a decent SG in Bell, a versatile PF in Diaw, a pick to maybe grab someone like Hendersen, or to then try to combine with the trade exception (of about 5.5 million) and turn it into say, Kyle Korver, and the 20th pick.

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »

Offline RD3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
"SG: Wallace/T. Allen(If he's not traded)"

So you don't see a problem with a broken down SF who can't shoot whatsoever starting at SG? Once again, the online trade machines should be used to confirm a deal is possible. Therefore, I'd suggest thinking of a trade that would actually make the Celtics better, then go from there. Just a suggestion since this seems like a simply god awful trade, I felt you needed some help.

"Broken down". The last 3 years he has played 72, 62,and 71 games. Now I know that's not great, but in the NBA today if you can play 70 games in a season, then you are doing alright. Also, check out these numbers...51,51,79. Those are the number of games played by Dwyane Wade the last three seasons. Does anyone think he's broken down?
"Cant shoot". In 05-06, he shot 54%. In 06-07, he shot 50% and 33% from downtown. And just this last year, he shot 48% which was the exact same number as Ray Allen last season and Allen only took 2 more shots per game. I just felt you needed some help when it comes to looking up the numbers

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 04:02:36 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
All of Gerald Wallace's #'s are from the SF position, are you really suggesting he can stack up to Ray Allen's #'s at the SG position? Picture in your mind Gerald Wallace running off pics, exactly how many SGs is he going to be able to lose? Zero right? So who does Pierce kick out too when he gets double teamed? And don't even try and tell me Gerald Wallace is going to be making any contested shots whether his defenders are shorter or not. Gerald Wallace is a 30% 3 point shooter, Ray Allen is a 40% 3 point shooter, more 3 point shots at the SG position means Wallace's overall % would be terrible if he played SG. Tell me when this is making too much sense.

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 04:03:52 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Also, Gerald Wallace had one of the highest PER's for SF's last season - #7 with a rating of 18.64, just above Paul Pierce.

Obviously G.W. isn't better than Paul Pierce but having that high a PER at least indicates that he's a solid player.

That said, I would not want him as a replacement for Ray because he's not a SG.  We'd really have to get Bell as well and I doubt Charlotte would give up 2 starters for Ray.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers