Author Topic: Celts/Bobcats trade that works for both teams  (Read 4971 times)

Celts/Bobcats trade that works for both teams
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:06:17 AM »

Offline RD3

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
I have not heard anyone try this one yet...

Celtics get:

Gerald Wallace
Boris Diaw

Bobcats Get:

Ray Allen
JR Giddens

This works for both teams for many reasons. For the Celts, they get an underrated wing scorer in Wallace who is only 26 who could step right in for Ray. Also Wallace is a big time defender and would fit in like a glove in what the Celts are trying to do. Not to mention, Charlotte has been talking about trading Wallace for a while now and if Boston came calling with this offer, they would definatly have to think long and hard. Also getting Diaw who's only 27 in the deal would be huge for the Celts. He's shown he can guard both foward positions and even some centers. Bringing him in off the bench would be a good change of pace from Perk and give defenses alittle more to think about. Plus he is a good passer and with him and KG on the court at the same time, teams would have to pay attention more when the ball is dumped down low. For Charlotte, they get someone to help score the ball who can also help mentor the younger players and put some fans in the seats. Also, Larry Brown loves experience and Ray certainly has that. By doing this deal, they also get to save 19 MILLION in salary cap money in 2010 and which puts them around 31 million. This would be plenty to go out and get a big free agent with MJ's influence.

*IF they wanted to add on to the deal, the Celts could throw in T. Allen and Scalabrine for Nazr Mohammed who only has 2 years left on his deal to back up Perkins. This would save Charlotte even more money in 2010 which would put them at only 25 million against the cap.

Celts Lineup:

PG: Rondo/House
SG: Wallace/T. Allen(If he's not traded)
SF: Pierce/Walker
PF: Garnett/Diaw/Powe/Scalabrine(If he's not traded)
C : Perkins/Vet FA

Re: Celts/Bobcats trade that works for both teams
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I like Diaw - I think he's a great 6th man and it will also help our back up pg situation. The suns always had Diaw on the floor when Eddie House had to run the point - we can do the same.

This trade seems pretty even right now, but - I would like to get a draft pick or something else if we're dealing ray. Also, with Pierce and Wallace, we may not be able to guard some of the quicket shooting guards...idk. I like that line up, defensively. Rondo would need to develop a shot though.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:47:17 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Not enough shooting, you don't have no real way to spread the floor with the starting line up.
do it

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
How about:

Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and Gerald Wallace

for

Ray, Scal (could also toss in Pruitt/Giddens/walker for a sweetner)

This would get CHA out of a lot of contract years with Wallace and Diaw - Wallace would be the backup 3/4, Diaw a backup 4/5 and Bell possibly being the starting 2.

Would you do this?  I would certainly consider it - our bench would be pretty deep...
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
While I think Wallace and Diaw are both decent roleplayers, they are both paid way too much and for way too long for what they would give to a team like the C's.  

The only way I could see the C's taking on money like that is if it were for a young superstar, or if it were for a number of players who were actually bargains...which neither of those guys are.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 10:00:02 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't trade Ray for those guys, sorry.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:20:56 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just not a big fan of Diaw and Wallace.  We have seen their limitations on good playoff teams. 

Diaw is effective in an uptempo team as a really small C or PF.  That does not fit the Celtics style

Wallace is a rich mans TA.  Both put up good numbers (offensively and defensively) as starters on bad teams.  Both have issues on offense in a half court offense. 

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:22:45 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Diaw and Wallace are signed for the next 3 and four years and would take us into the luxury tax range, making it far more difficult to sign Rondo and BBD. I'm not sure it's a great idea in that sense

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I like Diaw quite a bit.  I don't like Wallace because he can't shoot.  Once again, substitute Diop and Bell for Wallace and it becomes a better deal.

The Bobcats are for sale.  Some team is going to exploit the fact that they need to clean up their salary structure to make the franchise more marketable.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 11:48:29 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I don't trade Ray for those guys, sorry.

Danny Ainge, is that you?

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 12:02:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I like Diaw quite a bit.  I don't like Wallace because he can't shoot.  Once again, substitute Diop and Bell for Wallace and it becomes a better deal.

I tend to agree with something like what you are suggesting:
Ray for:

Bell, Diop, Diaw

or

Bell, Nazr, Wallace
(Nazr has a much shorter contract than Diop)

+possibly the Bobcats include a draft pick.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think I'd much rather trade a couple expiring contracts for a guy like Diop.  We save the Bobcats the money they'd need to pay Diop and we get a backup center with size, length, and defensive ability (even if Diop does suck at offense).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 01:04:17 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
"SG: Wallace/T. Allen(If he's not traded)"

So you don't see a problem with a broken down SF who can't shoot whatsoever starting at SG? Once again, the online trade machines should be used to confirm a deal is possible. Therefore, I'd suggest thinking of a trade that would actually make the Celtics better, then go from there. Just a suggestion since this seems like a simply god awful trade, I felt you needed some help.

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 02:23:07 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If we trade Ray Allen to the Bobcats, we need to get Raja Bell back.  Period.  I won't be particularly happy about it since Raja can't score like Ray can, but it will be a defensive improvement and I'd accept if if we get enough other players back.

A deal like: Ray and Scal for Raja, Wallace, Nazr wouldn't be too bad.  We'd get a very serviceable role player at sg who knows how to stay in his role.  A good backup wing that can give PP some rest and finally a backup big.  Checks out on RealGM trade checker though I'm not entirely crazy about it.

I'd prefer if we could get back a backup pg in exchange for Giddens or Walker too.  Trade also works if we add in Augustin and Walker.  What does everybody think about that?  Not only would it help us a bit now, but also gives us some good insurance if we can't reasonably resign Rondo.  Does Charlotte do it?

2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 02:31:33 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Why do the Bobcats want Allen....this is not to demean him at all, but they are a missing link short of a contender