Author Topic: Taking Advantage of Atlanta's Cap Situation  (Read 1726 times)

Taking Advantage of Atlanta's Cap Situation
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:03:39 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
According to Draftexpress.com, Atlanta is looking to trade the #19 pick with Speedy Claxton to create cap space. Speedy has a $5.2 million contract, but if he is traded an insurance company takes up 80% of his salary. We do not have enough cap room to just take him in, but do we have any non-guaranteed contracts we could send to Atlanta? They could cut this player to clear room. Possibly Pruitt? Tony Allen? Do we have any trade exceptions or cash we could send? If so, i think we should take advantage of this.

Maybe speedy is good enough to be a quality back up point. If so, we could draft a wing at 19. nbadraft.net has Ellington, Casspi, t. Williams, and Derrick Brown all available. If we don't think that Speedy is servicable, we could pick up a point guard (nbadraft.net has Lawson, maynor, and collison available).

Maybe we dont have the selling chips to pull this off, but if we do i would love to utilize this deal.

Rondo/Lawson/Marbury
Ray/TA
PP/Hill (Vet Min?)/Scal
KG/BBD
Perk/Powe/ FA signing
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

Re: Taking Advantage of Atlanta's Cap Situation
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:56:41 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
According to Draftexpress.com, Atlanta is looking to trade the #19 pick with Speedy Claxton to create cap space. Speedy has a $5.2 million contract, but if he is traded an insurance company takes up 80% of his salary. We do not have enough cap room to just take him in, but do we have any non-guaranteed contracts we could send to Atlanta? They could cut this player to clear room. Possibly Pruitt? Tony Allen? Do we have any trade exceptions or cash we could send? If so, i think we should take advantage of this.

Maybe speedy is good enough to be a quality back up point. If so, we could draft a wing at 19. nbadraft.net has Ellington, Casspi, t. Williams, and Derrick Brown all available. If we don't think that Speedy is servicable, we could pick up a point guard (nbadraft.net has Lawson, maynor, and collison available).

Maybe we dont have the selling chips to pull this off, but if we do i would love to utilize this deal.

Rondo/Lawson/Marbury
Ray/TA
PP/Hill (Vet Min?)/Scal
KG/BBD
Perk/Powe/ FA signing

I think Speedy is too old / injured to really play well, that's why the insurance would pay for so much of his contract.  I imagine he's going to retire soon.  Is the #19 pick really worth what we might give up?  I guess if it were Giddens / Pruitt and T. Allen for it I'd do it.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers