Author Topic: This is how I see draft night going down  (Read 8678 times)

Re: This is how I see draft night going down
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 08:13:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This is how I see draft night going:

"With the 58th selection in the 2009 NBA draft, the Boston Celtics select [some guy I've never heard of]".
I still think the C's will buy a late first or early 2nd rounder.

I hope not.  We had too many projects on the roster last year, and I'm hoping that that mistake isn't repeated.
I agree Danny relied on too many 'maybe' players last year but there's nothing wrong with a few players being developed.  Pruitt's time with the team is probably over unless he totally overwhelms the competition this summer to earn the backup PG spot.  Having
Walker and Giddens and another draft pick as your 13-15 players is not an issue since they don't suit up anyway unless there's injuries (or suspensions).  3 players being developed in the team's system (and not being depended upon for contributions --> that's the key part) should not be a problem for this team.  If the developing players make the next step and are ready to contribute, even better.

It would be fine if we had three non-contributing players on the roster.  However, what if the Celtics bring Powe back?  That's four non-contributing players.  What if they sign a third string center?  That's five.  Plus, we already have marginal players in the rotation who shouldn't be seeing game time (i.e., Tony Allen).

It doesn't take much to repeat last year's mistakes.  Since it's unlikely that Doc would play a late-round rookie, I'd prefer to stay away from the draft.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 08:30:23 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
This is how I see draft night going:

"With the 58th selection in the 2009 NBA draft, the Boston Celtics select [some guy I've never heard of]".
I still think the C's will buy a late first or early 2nd rounder.

I hope not.  We had too many projects on the roster last year, and I'm hoping that that mistake isn't repeated.
I agree Danny relied on too many 'maybe' players last year but there's nothing wrong with a few players being developed.  Pruitt's time with the team is probably over unless he totally overwhelms the competition this summer to earn the backup PG spot.  Having
Walker and Giddens and another draft pick as your 13-15 players is not an issue since they don't suit up anyway unless there's injuries (or suspensions).  3 players being developed in the team's system (and not being depended upon for contributions --> that's the key part) should not be a problem for this team.  If the developing players make the next step and are ready to contribute, even better.

Three isn't a bad number.

The problem is when the project number gets larger. Last year, it almost encompassed our entire bench.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 08:33:08 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
regarding the original poster's idea - I've seen a lot of people trying to push the two rumors together and come up with an overall plan - that works in theory, but I'm just not sure either rumor is all that likely

I'm pretty sure Ainge has talked to dozens of teams about dozens of possibilities and if we actually knew each one of them, it would make our heads spin and we wouldn't be able to decipher which was his plan A vs. plan B and which rumors depended on other rumors, etc.

but hey, it is fun to guess, so it can't hurt to make some predictions
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)