Author Topic: This is how I see draft night going down  (Read 8724 times)

Re: This is how I see draft night going down
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 10:39:49 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think all these trade ideas are nice and fun. But i just think we all need to step back and take a breather.

To me the simplest and most viable option would be to find a team who needs to dump salary, and trade ray allen for a bad contract and a nice young piece.

Keep Rajon and Perk, cuz their the only future we got.

Its tough because theres no player that jumps out to me as a good trade with ray. But I have a few questions.

Is there any chance of Ben Gordon coming here for the MLE? (I know he's been said to be a ball hog, but he's young and players learn, some tend to learn faster on a championship team.)

What teams are really serious about dumping salary and doing it asap? (I really have very little interest in the wings of golden state and anyone who dons a knick's uniform.)

What would the big 3 feel about moving ray ray for younger pieces?

Now that im done with those thoughts, im going to give you my pitch for an off-season scenario. (thought about making a post, but there are so darn many of them already.)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=krzabk

Boston Sends: R. Allen, TA, Scal, Future first
Boston Receives: T. Chandler, J. Wright, M. Peterson, J. Posey and the 21st over all pick

New Orleans Sends: T. Chandler. J. Wright, M. Peterson, and the 21st overall pick
New Orleans Receives: Ray Allen, Future first

With the 21st overall pick the boston celtics select Ty Lawson

Sign Ben Gordon to full MLE 4 years

Resign Stephon, BBD and Powe

Sign Rondo to a extension ASAP

2009-2010 Roster

Rondo/Marbury/Lawson
Gordon/House/Peterson/Giddens
Pierce/Posey/Wright
Garnett/BBD/Powe
Perkins/Chandler/Powe

Now is this scenario unlike, ofcourse, in fact im willing to guarantee you this scenario won't happen. However, it keeps the team together enough, where even though we're losing a member of the starting five, we're adding a player with the same sort of makeup. And this ofcourse vastly improve our bench, and even make us younger.

Reasons scenario might not take place: Chandler is probably too expensive to be a back up, gordon is prolly not avaliable for the mle however the chance at a starting gig will help, we're prolly taking in too many wings, and the hornets might be looking for more young talent for their salaries. Also this is a lot of money for the front office to pony up. We'd prolly have to let BBD walk in order to make this feasable.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:52:41 PM by beantownboy171 »

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 11:02:53 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
I guess I am just having a difficult time understanding why we want to trade Ray Allen for inexperienced youth when the whole goal is to win this year and next, but to also extend our winning into the future as well. Trading for picks in this year's draft does not do that. Trading for a quality big with plenty of miles left on him does. Definitely sign me up for this trade with Phoenix if they include the #14 pick, no doubt about it, but I think I would do this trade without it as well.

I ask again, once Pierce and KG retire, what will we have to show? For me personally, I would like to see us have an all star big man who has flourished and matured next to our future hall of famers PP and KG, and an all star point guard who will hopefully have more than one ring by that point.

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 11:06:49 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I guess I am just having a difficult time understanding why we want to trade Ray Allen for inexperienced youth when the whole goal is to win this year and next, but to also extend our winning into the future as well. Trading for picks in this year's draft does not do that. Trading for a quality big with plenty of miles left on him does. Definitely sign me up for this trade with Phoenix if they include the #14 pick, no doubt about it, but I think I would do this trade without it as well.

I ask again, once Pierce and KG retire, what will we have to show? For me personally, I would like to see us have an all star big man who has flourished and matured next to our future hall of famers PP and KG, and an all star point guard who will hopefully have more than one ring by that point.

I pretty much agree, but the problem arises when you DO trade for Stoudamire. Perk isn't a good bench guy, and he'd likely pout. Same with Amare. So the idea is, if you can trade Perk for the second pick and get Rubio or Harden, you do it. Because you're not getting Amare without giving up Rondo.

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 11:08:19 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum

yah, agreed, i think that since the big 3, we've began to take for granted how rare superstar calliber players are.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 11:11:44 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205

yah, agreed, i think that since the big 3, we've began to take for granted how rare superstar calliber players are.

agreed man, very true...this is all fun speculation, but at the end of the day, i hope we just stand pat and keep our starting 5 intact...we could have very well won it all again this year if it wasn't for the KG injury.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 11:18:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This is how I see draft night going:

"With the 58th selection in the 2009 NBA draft, the Boston Celtics select [some guy I've never heard of]".

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum

"With the 58th selection in the 2009 NBA draft, the Boston Celtics select [some guy I've never heard of]".
Your no fun.  ;)

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 11:41:37 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I still think the C's will buy a late first or early 2nd rounder.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 11:45:05 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I hope not.  We had too many projects on the roster last year, and I'm hoping that that mistake isn't repeated.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I hope not.  We had too many projects on the roster last year, and I'm hoping that that mistake isn't repeated.
I think we're gonna trade Scal and Tony for a vet, cut Pruitt and then fill out the roster with vets. So adding only one more project with the bought pick then keeping the 58th overseas will make us have an acceptable number of projects (Giddens, Walker, and draft pick).
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 02:06:52 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

Woah, woah, wooahh! You need to Sloooowwww down. Right now you're running so fast Mother Nature is telling you to slow down and you just kicked her in the face with your *Energy Legs*

Also, this is not my Batman cup.

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 02:45:59 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I guess the job of the GM is to think a few steps ahead and not just the next season.
So if Ainge is trying to prepare the post GAP team seems like he is doing his job.
But looks like a playoff-candidate-postGAP team equals to a less than primary-championship-candidate team this season.

Keeping the same team and adding the 2-3 bench players needed won`t of course guarantee the 18nth but trading two starters for one creates a need for another starter in addition to the bench issues looks more like rebuilding rather than addindg the missing pieces
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:01:31 AM by ederson »

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 07:35:45 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
There has been all sorts of speculation and rumors about all sorts of different players and teams' draft picks. We have all acknowledged that smoke = fire, so it appears that something is in the works. Ray Allen has been a great player and a class act for the Celtics organization, but his good days left are numbered, and the most important part of his value for us is his expiring contract.

The three teams that seem to have come up the most in rumors are the Celtics, Grizzlies, and Suns. We all know the different rumors that have flown around.

Anyways, Kendrick Perkins and Bill Walker have reportedly been dangled to Memphis for the #2 pick. This hasn't made sense to us the fan base, as it appears that we would trade the cornerstone of our defense for a young talent that won't help us for a long time. However, we were all baffled when we traded for Ray Allen on draft night, and the reason we were baffled is because the other shoe named KG had not yet dropped.

The other rumor that has been floated out there is Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo for Amare Stoudemire. This rumor started in Arizona and quickly floated its way east to the Celtics fanbase and media. We panicked at the idea of trading our valuable backcourt for Amare, and rightfully so. It is my belief that there have been discussions and that the Suns brought up Rajon Rondo's name, but that the Celtics labelled Rondo as off limits to them. However, it seems that Danny wouldn't give up, but would rather extend a potential counter offer.

I say all of that to lay the foundation for how I see draft night (and the days surrounding it) unfolding. Let's start with Boston and Memphis.

Boston trades Kendrick Perkins and Bill Walker for the #2 pick and filler contracts.

Looks pretty terrible by itself. It gives Memphis a young, cheap, defensive minded center that has experience winning, and a young, inexperienced, but talented and potential filled player in Bill Walker. It gives us a pick in what is viewed as a mediocre draft outside of the number 1 pick, and makes our front court apparently disappear.

However, what we don't realize is that Danny's intention is not to keep the draft pick, but to turn it around and combine the draft pick with Ray Allen's expiring contract for Amare Stoudemire. We get what is still a relatively young 20 and 10 player with much talent on both sides of the floor for an aging shooter and the #2 pick in the draft. This gives Phoenix exactly what it needs: cap relief and a young talent for rebuilding. I would imagine the Suns would draft Rubio to train behind Steve Nash, as I can see many similarities in the way that they are both able to run a team, and Nash's remaining good days are numbered.

What I just thought of as I was typing up this last part is also the idea of Phoenix potentially buying Ray Allen out of the last year of his contract, saving the Suns a little more money and allowing him to return to us for cheap to make a strong run at Banner 18. This is the only part of all of this that I am not so sure about, but find exciting just thinking about haha.

My brother didn't like this idea at first for us, but I asked him a basic question, and it changed his mind: who would you rather have for players to piece a team around for the next several years? Perkins and Rondo, or Amare and Rondo?

I guess we'll see what happens over the next week or two. Thoughts?

Tp for the intelligent and rational post.

This could be it, it makes sense for everybody. Ideally we would get Ray back for the minimum after his buyout from Phoenix. I wonder if this last thing would be possible too.

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think all these trade ideas are nice and fun. But i just think we all need to step back and take a breather.

To me the simplest and most viable option would be to find a team who needs to dump salary, and trade ray allen for a bad contract and a nice young piece.

Keep Rajon and Perk, cuz their the only future we got.

Its tough because theres no player that jumps out to me as a good trade with ray. But I have a few questions.

Is there any chance of Ben Gordon coming here for the MLE? (I know he's been said to be a ball hog, but he's young and players learn, some tend to learn faster on a championship team.)

What teams are really serious about dumping salary and doing it asap? (I really have very little interest in the wings of golden state and anyone who dons a knick's uniform.)

What would the big 3 feel about moving ray ray for younger pieces?

Now that im done with those thoughts, im going to give you my pitch for an off-season scenario. (thought about making a post, but there are so darn many of them already.)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=krzabk

Boston Sends: R. Allen, TA, Scal, Future first
Boston Receives: T. Chandler, J. Wright, M. Peterson, J. Posey and the 21st over all pick

New Orleans Sends: T. Chandler. J. Wright, M. Peterson, and the 21st overall pick
New Orleans Receives: Ray Allen, Future first

With the 21st overall pick the boston celtics select Ty Lawson

Sign Ben Gordon to full MLE 4 years

Resign Stephon, BBD and Powe

Sign Rondo to a extension ASAP

2009-2010 Roster

Rondo/Marbury/Lawson
Gordon/House/Peterson/Giddens
Pierce/Posey/Wright
Garnett/BBD/Powe
Perkins/Chandler/Powe

Now is this scenario unlike, ofcourse, in fact im willing to guarantee you this scenario won't happen. However, it keeps the team together enough, where even though we're losing a member of the starting five, we're adding a player with the same sort of makeup. And this ofcourse vastly improve our bench, and even make us younger.

Reasons scenario might not take place: Chandler is probably too expensive to be a back up, gordon is prolly not avaliable for the mle however the chance at a starting gig will help, we're prolly taking in too many wings, and the hornets might be looking for more young talent for their salaries. Also this is a lot of money for the front office to pony up. We'd prolly have to let BBD walk in order to make this feasable.

That's actually the most sensible, well-balanced trade idea I've seen so far.  TP for you. C's get a lot of depth out of the trade that addresses a lot of needs.  Gordon for the MLE might be a stretch but he'd fill up the SG spot.  His defense would need to improve dramatically although he didn't look too bad in the playoffs.

On the roster though, you missed Walker so that would give the C's 16 players if they signed BBD and Powe.  For salary purposes, BBD might be the one to let go and have Powe ready for the end of the season.  Posey could fill in at PF when needed. 

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 07:55:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I agree Danny relied on too many 'maybe' players last year but there's nothing wrong with a few players being developed.  Pruitt's time with the team is probably over unless he totally overwhelms the competition this summer to earn the backup PG spot.  Having
Walker and Giddens and another draft pick as your 13-15 players is not an issue since they don't suit up anyway unless there's injuries (or suspensions).  3 players being developed in the team's system (and not being depended upon for contributions --> that's the key part) should not be a problem for this team.  If the developing players make the next step and are ready to contribute, even better.