Author Topic: Vince Carter for Ray Ray  (Read 9869 times)

Re: Vince Carter for Ray Ray
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 07:49:03 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Vince is going to 33 years old if January. How is that an upgrade over Ray? Call me crazy, but I thought the whole point of trading Ray was to get a good young player, not a guy whose age difference with Ray is negligible.

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 07:51:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Vince is going to 33 years old if January. How is that an upgrade over Ray? Call me crazy, but I thought the whole point of trading Ray was to get a good young player, not a guy whose age difference with Ray is negligible.

touche. You talked me out of it

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 07:51:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
TP.

Trading Ray for a player of similar age and productivity but a longer contract doesn't make much sense.

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 08:12:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP.

Trading Ray for a player of similar age and productivity but a longer contract doesn't make much sense.
The longer contract hurts but what intrigues me about the trade is the ability to not only fill Ray's spot with a player that can produce like Ray but also fill 1-2 holes on the bench thereby strengthening the team as a whole.

I'd like to keep an eye for the team's future but with the current 'Big 3' configuration, this is a win-now scenario for the next 2-3 years.  Danny's going to have little quality on the team beyond Perk and Rondo 4 years from now (and no, I don't consider any versions of the current big 3 -- well into their 30's -- to be 'quality'.  they'll be serviceable at best if not retired.)

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 08:33:48 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Last time I checked, Vince Carter was a loser.  Also, last time I checked, Ray Allen could create his own shot: it's just that the C's often don't let him do it.  Case in point, his break down of Sasha in the 2008 Finals. 

I dont think that counts. Even Scal could cross over Sasha.

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 08:49:33 AM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
TP.

The longer contract hurts but what intrigues me about the trade is the ability to not only fill Ray's spot with a player that can produce like Ray but also fill 1-2 holes on the bench thereby strengthening the team as a whole.

I'd like to keep an eye for the team's future but with the current 'Big 3' configuration, this is a win-now scenario for the next 2-3 years.  Danny's going to have little quality on the team beyond Perk and Rondo 4 years from now (and no, I don't consider any versions of the current big 3 -- well into their 30's -- to be 'quality'.  they'll be serviceable at best if not retired.)

Exactly! Why trade a future HOF player for a shot first, selfish player like Vincanity, whois injury prone and you have to question ability to adapt in Boston. also, when was the last itme Vince played D?

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 09:37:02 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
TP.

Exactly! Why trade a future HOF player for a shot first, selfish player like Vincanity, whois injury prone and you have to question ability to adapt in Boston. also, when was the last itme Vince played D?
When was the first time Ray played defense? It was when he got to Boston. Was Ray a shoot first player before he got to Boston? you bet ya. There is no reason to trade him straight up for Vince but if we can do it part of a 3 team deal that gets us a high pick then you do that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Like some one else said, doing this trade wouldn't be about getting Carter, specifically.

The point is that we could trade Ray for a guy who is just as good as Ray and also get solid bench pieces in return to make the team stronger for the next couple of years.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 12:58:54 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Great idea.  Let's trade a guy away that personifies character and talent for a guy who brags about tanking and plays at a high level when he feels like it.

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 05:32:10 PM »

Offline ScalPal

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Great idea.  Let's trade a guy away that personifies character and talent for a guy who brags about tanking and plays at a high level when he feels like it.

By the way people should remembr what everyone was saying about Pierce after that Indiana series a few years ago with the bandages and such. People can change and winning cultures change people.