Author Topic: Boston/Memphis/Phoenix trade idea  (Read 2490 times)

Boston/Memphis/Phoenix trade idea
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
OK, I just threw this trade idea out in another thread, but I think it probably belongs here.

So with this talk of trading Perk and Walker to Memphis for the #2 pick (I know it was probably turned down, but lets run with it for a minute), I wanted to take it the next step, since I think a deal like that would have to be a prelude to another deal to solidify the front line.  So why not combine it with a previous rumor. 

So here is the deal:

Boston sends:
Perkins, Walker, Allen

Boston recieves:
Amare, Barbosa

Memphis sends:
#2 pick (Rubio)

Memphis recieves:
Perkins, Walker

Phoenix sends:
Amare, Barbosa

Phoenix recieves:
Ray Allen, Rubio

Why does Boston do it?  They recieve the best player in the deal, and add a relatively young building block in Amare, who they could hopefully convince to stick around to extend with "window" with Rondo.  This gives the C's a very intriguing front-line of Garnett and Amare, and I personally believe that if you put Amare in Boston's system, he will play defense.  The C's would still have some holes to fill, but they would still have a few more expiring contracts, as well as the MLE, and if this deal were done as two separate trades, they would also have a trade exception of about $5.5 million to use, to maybe try and get a guy like Deshawn Stevenson or Raja Bell from a team who might like the immediate savings it would give them to not have to take salary back.

Why for Memphis?  Perkins gives them the size and defense that they really need on their front-line.  Given the weakness of the draft, and the number of young players they already have, it might make more sense for them to add a young veteran like Perkins.  They also get a decent young prospect in Walker, who could turn out to be a steal down the road.

Why for Phoenix?  They get a young PG to groom for a year behind Nash, before handing over the reigns.  Unlike Rondo, he won't need to really get paid for another 3-4 years, and he was made for the run and gun game they like to play.  It also gives them significant cap savings after this year, and gives them the potential to offer near max contracts to 2 players next summer.  Considering Phoenix is a favorite place to live among professional athletes, they could really give teams like NY and Miami a run for their money for the prizes out there. 

Re: Boston/Memphis/Phoenix trade idea
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:34:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd like to get the 14th back from Phx. That would allow us to pick a young wing like Henderson to eventually replace Ray.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:49:40 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
sign me up!

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:50:21 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Yeah, I would consider this if the 14th pick were included.

Still, I doubt Amare's desire to play on a team like ours.  I think it's more likely he'd want to be traded to an up tempo team so he can play the kind of basketball he played with D'Antoni
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:54:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Yeah, I would consider this if the 14th pick were included.

Still, I doubt Amare's desire to play on a team like ours.  I think it's more likely he'd want to be traded to an up tempo team so he can play the kind of basketball he played with D'Antoni
It's not like we don't run at all. Other than money big time players like winning and recognition. He would win with us and move himself into the NBA first team if he starts playing Celtics defense. So the Celtics are offering him a chance to increase his stock as a player and win a championship. I doubt he would have any problem with that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
If the Celtics are going to make a deal, this (or something similar that landed Amare) would be the deal I'd want them to make. However, I do not believe that the Celtics should trade any member of the starting five. If healthy, I'm confident that this current core of players will win it all in 2009-2010. The current starters have proven that they can win a title with a good bench. I'd rather not mess with the roster too much and sacrifice a championship that is still ours to lose.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 02:35:33 PM »

Offline KG_ended_Bias

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
That trade can absolutely work only if the Grizzlies can get the 14th from Phoenix. I dont think it is enough going Memphis way.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:57:30 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Just for kicks:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=l8mzdw

Phoenix gets the #2

So, what do you think, Chris?
Maybe #14 or a future first to Memphis, as KG_ended_Bias said?

I think if Phoenix is indeed willing to break up their core, Nash wouldn`t be too happy. In that case, the Suns are probably rebuilding anyway, and we don`t need a Draft Pick as much as we could use a back-to-back MVP, whose contract expirers in 2011 together with Pierce.

This would basically combine the best defense and the best offense in the NBA, KG/Tom T and the Nash/Amare Pick and Roll (plus the obligatory Pierce isolation). If there`s really a big 3-way trade between these teams, I think this is what Ainge had in mind.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.