Author Topic: Chris Paul  (Read 4562 times)

Chris Paul
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
There has been more than normal chatter but we all recognize that 99.9% of it is just that, chatter.  There is one thing in all of this though that makes enough sense for me to take notice; Ainge wants Chris Paul.

Someone said on a post that if NO traded CP3 that they would be run out of town.  True, and maybe that is exactly what the owners want.  The team is losing money so what do you do.  First you tighten the belt (trade away salary commitments).  Second, maybe you position the team to be sold.

Now, under that scenario, NO isn't going to really want Ray Allen.  We could trade Allen though to Memphis for their pick and then flip the pick to NO in part of a deal for CP.  A team with a low salary, some good young players and maybe some future picks stockpiled should be easier to sell maybe even than a team with CP3.  Remember, all the deals in the past that Danny made with Picks and Raef and all weren't about the immediate deals, it was about setting up for other deals (in that case KG).

My theory is that all of this chatter about trading Ray or Rondo for picks or whatever isn't because DA thinks that this particular move would make the Celtics better next year.  It is all about being positioned to make another deal, in this case maybe Chris Paul.

If Danny can get KG, maybe he can get CP3.  This approach worked for Danny in a big way once so it is not so hard to believe that he would try it again.  (And please, enough with the "we are better with Rondo than Chris Paul).  If we can pull off getting Chris Paul, we are set for next year and for plenty of years to come.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:47:41 PM by Vermont Green »

Re: Chris Paul
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
There has been more than normal chatter but we all recognize that 99.9% of it is just that, chatter.  There is one thing in all of this though that makes enough sense for me to take notice; Ainge wants Chris Paul.

Someone said on a post that if NO traded CP3 that they would be run out of town.  True, and maybe that is exactly what the owners want.  The team is losing money so what do you do.  First you tighten the belt (trade away salary commitments).  Second, maybe you position the team to be sold.

Now, under that scenario, NO isn't going to really want Ray Allen.  We could trade Allen though to Memphis for their pick and then flip the pick to NO in part of a deal for CP.  A team with a low salary, some good young players and maybe some future picks stockpiled should be easier to sell maybe even than a team with CP3.  Remember, all the deals in the past that Danny made with Picks and Raef and all weren't about the immediate deals, it was about setting up for other deals (in that case KG).

My theory is that all of this chatter about trading Ray or Rondo for picks or whatever isn't because DA thinks that this particular move would make the Celtics better next year.  It is all about being positioned to make another deal, in this case maybe Chris Paul.

If Danny can get KG, maybe he can get CP3.  This approach worked for Danny in a big way once so it is not so hard to believe that he would try it again.  (And please, enough with the "we are better with Rondo than Chris Paul).  If we can pull off getting Chris Paul, we are set for next year and for plenty of years to come.
And Danny Ainge will be considered the greatest GM in the league again.  In fact, if we scored Chris Paul and won a couple of more championships after where we were when  Danny took over, he might earn a seat in basketball heaven very close to Red.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
It sounds lovely, but keep dreaming.  :P
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:06:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't think acquiring CP3 is impossible, but isn't likely- obviously...flipping a high pick and Rondo for him has been discussed, and NO would have to think long and hard about that.

As for Danny, yes, this would be an amazing move- but I will never forget his rocky start. He has always had a love for unathletic players (Raef, Wally, Swift, etc). While I definitely have come to respect him [a lot], I will never forgive him for the Antoine-Raef deal...and no, I am not looking for defense of that particular deal.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Didn't NO say after they got knocked out of the playoffs that they had 0 intention of getting rid of Paul?

I mean no one has really explained why they would other than some conspiracy "dump the team so they can move" theories. You get rid of franchise players so you can get young. Well Paul is young, the face of the franchise, and an MVP candidate.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
New Orleans are not losing money. They are making money.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:03:08 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153

Yeah? For real?
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Yeah? For real?
Yes, they made a profit last season.

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 04:25:26 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I agree that it is pretty hard to convince myself that there is an argument that NO should trade Chris Paul.  I am just getting a feeling that this may be what Danny is up to.  I don't believe that Danny is considering trading Rondo or Ray for picks (assuming that he really is considering this) because he thinks the picks will make us better next year.  It is possible that Danny thinks he has a chance at Chris Paul when NO has no intention of trading him, it is possible Danny is scheming for something else altogether, or it is possible that all of the "chatter" is completely false rumors.

Hey, this is a blog forum, aren't we supposed to dream up crazy ideas that maybe there is a scenario where we end up with Chris Paul?

In my very first post on this blog, I proposed a KG trade that I think was a 3-way with Memphis and I got plenty of the "Minny will never trade KG" replies.  It wasn't all that long after that that we ended up with KG.

I am just saying.....

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I agree that it is pretty hard to convince myself that there is an argument that NO should trade Chris Paul.  I am just getting a feeling that this may be what Danny is up to.  I don't believe that Danny is considering trading Rondo or Ray for picks (assuming that he really is considering this) because he thinks the picks will make us better next year.  It is possible that Danny thinks he has a chance at Chris Paul when NO has no intention of trading him, it is possible Danny is scheming for something else altogether, or it is possible that all of the "chatter" is completely false rumors.

Hey, this is a blog forum, aren't we supposed to dream up crazy ideas that maybe there is a scenario where we end up with Chris Paul?

In my very first post on this blog, I proposed a KG trade that I think was a 3-way with Memphis and I got plenty of the "Minny will never trade KG" replies.  It wasn't all that long after that that we ended up with KG.

I am just saying.....

even if you have to make up facts about the team losing money

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 04:43:36 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Every day I come on this blog and I see Chris Paul's name still being discussed and it still amuses me.  Ah, summer time.   8)

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 05:00:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I am just saying.....

even if you have to make up facts about the team losing money
Yeah, I made a leap there that since they were trying to dump salary last year that they were loosing money.  I have no idea what their actual P&L situation is and shouldn't have said they were loosing money.  Maybe I should have said "since they were dumping salary last year.."

Feel better?

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 05:29:16 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

I am just saying.....

Us getting Chris Paul would be even crazier than us getting KG.  Sure, KG is a dominant big guy and that's hugely important - more so than a great point guard - but when we got KG he was already old and going to be on his last contract.  Paul has a long and most likely illustrious career ahead of him and is a top 5 talent in the league.  In that sense, getting him would be even bigger than us getting KG.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 05:59:02 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Who,

How do you know that N.O. made money this year?  Please provide the link showing profits and losses for us to peruse.  I am not saying you don't have it, just asking for the link:-)

Smitty77

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Who,

How do you know that N.O. made money this year?  Please provide the link showing profits and losses for us to peruse.  I am not saying you don't have it, just asking for the link:-)

Smitty77
I don't have a link. Check with the guy who runs Hornets 24/7, Ryan Schwan.

I think it was David Stern who said it an interview, sometime in the last month, when asked about those teams who were borrowing money.