Author Topic: Josh Smith available  (Read 9905 times)

Re: Josh Smith available
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 06:31:40 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
For a collection of bench players, maybe.

Not for Ray.

The reason, he is a small PF.  He flies all over the place.  But he provides nothing in the half court.  He is basically the same player he was since he entered the league.  He has added nothing to his game.  Just minutes and experience.  (and a better PG to get him dunks)

He is just to expensive.

Why else do you think Atlanta is willing to move him.

As I suggested -- for expiring dead weight. He could very well be the best 6th man in the league doing all those things that he's always done.

I agree the talent would be great for that.

But the contract would not.  That kills his value as that possible 6th man.  (much like I think Gordon would be a great offensive 6th man, but he is going to be to overpayed)

i hear you, but to me that's mostly about the fact that he plays KG's position, and KG has the longest deal of the Big Three.

at the end of the day, whether or not I'd take a shot at growing his talent depends largely on having an understanding of where Ainge is taking the roster. and with all the bizarre talk out there, it's pretty hard to say -- though i take it as mostly talk.

but it sure would be fun to try to watch teams go up against KG, Perk and Smith defending our hoop. good luck with that...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 06:48:39 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Rondo... and Smith???

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 06:52:39 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Rondo... and Smith???

Yes, that would be lovely.  TP for the image.

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 09:50:59 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Athleticism isn't talent, it's just athleticism.  Talent is also understanding the game that you are trying to play. Talent is knowing how to play with teammates. Josh Smith can finish on the break with an impressive slam as well as anyone.  Unfortunately, the rest of his game sucks.  And what's worse, he doesn't realize it.

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 09:56:06 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Athleticism isn't talent, it's just athleticism.  Talent is also understanding the game that you are trying to play. Talent is knowing how to play with teammates. Josh Smith can finish on the break with an impressive slam as well as anyone.  Unfortunately, the rest of his game sucks.  And what's worse, he doesn't realize it.

Not saying you're wrong....had no idea he was as bad as you and a few others feel he is.  He did start on a team that took our championship team to 7 games, though.  Not saying he knows how to play properly, but he must have a bit more than dunking to his game.  Maybe our elder statesman plus Rondo could corral and correct him.

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 10:31:47 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
One would think that after watching two athletic wings come through here with IQs of houseplants - Gerald Green and Tony Allen - it'd dawn on the populace that athleticism combined with a perpetual brain fart doesn't translate well on the NBA court.

Apparently not.

;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 10:41:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
One would think that after watching two athletic wings come through here with IQs of houseplants - Gerald Green and Tony Allen - it'd dawn on the populace that athleticism combined with a perpetual brain fart doesn't translate well on the NBA court.

Apparently not.

;D

If it did we wouldn't have so many calls for Chris Andersen.

Re: Josh Smith to the celtics?
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 10:46:07 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
How in the world can they not afford to pay their free agents?

How much money are they thinking of paying Mike Bibby? It must be something ridiculous.

Remember, this is the team that splintered its ownership group so they could overpay for Joe Johnson and broadcasted a moronic guarantee to Shelden Williams at the #5 spot.  They don't seem to share consensus value judgments.

As for the OP, I would rather trade for Andrei Kirilenko than Josh Smith.  Smith is as much of a liability as an asset on the court.  
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri