Author Topic: Josh Smith available  (Read 9903 times)

Re: Josh Smith available
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Can we please workout a trade for Josh Smith to Golden State.  I just want him on a team that takes terrible shots and runs up and down the floor, so I can see 5 highlight dunks a night.

He'd be a beast if he learned to play defense in boston. Remember Smith blocking Rondos Layups two years ago in the playoff?

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 04:57:59 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I agree with Fafnir and I'll go one step farther. Josh Smith is a knucklehead who will never win.  He is a great athlete with zero understanding of the game, and no indication that he ever wants to understand the game.

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 04:59:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Can we please workout a trade for Josh Smith to Golden State.  I just want him on a team that takes terrible shots and runs up and down the floor, so I can see 5 highlight dunks a night.

He'd be a beast if he learned to play defense in boston. Remember Smith blocking Rondos Layups two years ago in the playoff?
Defense is about effort, he doesn't give it consistently. Until that changes all he'll be good for is occasional weak side help.

Most of the time he gives little effort and picks up dumb fouls.

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I always love how forum members can take any player and say "Yeah but we'll teach him".

We have great coaches - but there only so much you can teach individuals.

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
he's 23 yrs old!  he's an incredibly talented 23 yr old!  Pierce, a 28 year old Pierce, once adorned a fake bandage on his head after a playoff loss as a joke.

People mature rapidly on veteran teams like the celtics.  He also plays for the hawks, possibly the worst run team in the NBA outside of the Grizz.  I mean give the guy a chance, his talent is off the charts.

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Defense is about effort, he doesn't give it consistently. Until that changes all he'll be good for is occasional weak side help.

Think it's possible the guy needs to be in an enviroment where a) he has a real coach, b) he plays with veteran players of any leadership value whatsoever, c) he's not the only defender on the team, or d) all of the above?

also, the point of the article is that ATL is trying to dump the guy. Why? Who cares, their ownership can't stop throwing sand at each otherand they'd rather keep Bibby -- their problem. I'm not trading him for Ray Ray. Would you trade him for expiring contract junk and some cash and / or picks?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 05:53:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I always love how forum members can take any player and say "Yeah but we'll teach him".

We have great coaches - but there only so much you can teach individuals.

i know seriously... i mean, woodson is a great coach, and mike bibby is a winner who's awesome at taking young guys under his wing.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Josh Smith to the celtics?
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 05:53:46 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
He could be the uber nasty 6th man like Odom kind of is at times.

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Think it's possible the guy needs to be in an enviroment where a) he has a real coach, b) he plays with veteran players of any leadership value whatsoever, c) he's not the only defender on the team, or d) all of the above?

also, the point of the article is that ATL is trying to dump the guy. Why? Who cares, their ownership can't stop throwing sand at each otherand they'd rather keep Bibby -- their problem. I'm not trading him for Ray Ray. Would you trade him for expiring contract junk and some cash and / or picks?
They will get better offers than your prposed though, I think it'd take Ray's expiring deal and talent to get it done.

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 06:00:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

They will get better offers than your prposed though, I think it'd take Ray's expiring deal and talent to get it done.

read the part in the article where the ownership of whatever team is going to trade for him will have to write a $6mil check on the spot to get him, and how in this environment very few will. again, if they deal him it will be about money and flexibility, not talent. he is talented. if they wanted talent they'd keep him. they want to build around joe johnson and keep the rest of their core intact.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 06:03:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
For a collection of bench players, maybe.

Not for Ray.

The reason, he is a small PF.  He flies all over the place.  But he provides nothing in the half court.  He is basically the same player he was since he entered the league.  He has added nothing to his game.  Just minutes and experience.  (and a better PG to get him dunks)

He is just to expensive.

Why else do you think Atlanta is willing to move him.

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 06:03:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

read the part in the article where the ownership of whatever team is going to trade for him will have to write a $6mil check on the spot to get him, and how in this environment very few will. again, if they deal him it will be about money and flexibility, not talent. he is talented. if they wanted talent they'd keep him. they want to build around joe johnson and keep the rest of their core intact.
I did read the article, even with his 6 million trade kicker they'll get better offers than the one you proposed.

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Not for Ray.

The reason, he is a small PF.  He flies all over the place.  But he provides nothing in the half court.  He is basically the same player he was since he entered the league.  He has added nothing to his game.  Just minutes and experience.  (and a better PG to get him dunks)

He is just to expensive.

As I suggested -- for expiring dead weight. He could very well be the best 6th man in the league doing all those things that he's always done.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 06:16:12 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Yeah, I think it comes down to the fact that we couldn't get him. He's a knucklehead, yes, but extremely talented. Surrounding a guy with good veterans can always help an immature guy coming from an extremely young team. He's got flaws, but he's not bad for the money. That trade kicker does give me pause, though, since he is a bench player on our roster. And no, I wouldn't give up a starter to get him, not when we wouldn't be getting a starting 2 back.

Maybe, though, Atlanta would be interested in a guy like Davis who could play 4 and a little 5. In a sign and trade, we give them Davis, with Scal, TA and Giddens. We get a 3/4 backup wing who will play a ton of minutes for us. We could run a frequent smallball lineup of Rondo-Ray-Paul-Smith-KG or an occasional big lineup of Rondo/Ray-Paul-Smith-KG-Perk. It's an extra above average defender to put on any good forward, he's young and crazy athletic. I don't think he can ever win as one of the two best players on a team, but as the fifth or sixth best player? I think he'd be fine.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 06:17:38 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Not for Ray.

He is just to expensive.

As I suggested -- for expiring dead weight. He could very well be the best 6th man in the league doing all those things that he's always done.

I agree the talent would be great for that.

But the contract would not.  That kills his value as that possible 6th man.  (much like I think Gordon would be a great offensive 6th man, but he is going to be to overpayed)