Author Topic: Josh Smith available  (Read 9898 times)

Josh Smith available
« on: June 15, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
sound like he can be had more or less for financial flexibility:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/news/story?page=09DraftBuzz

we could provide that -- TA, Scal, House, Giddens or Pruitt would do it. Eddie could be cut and resigned, or not. Baby could be signed and traded for a true 5 or a 2/3 combo guy.

not sure i love what it does to our team, but he sure is talented. imagine he and KG together on the defensive end.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Josh Smith to the celtics?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Chado does love mising things up, eh!

Chad Ford: The big trade rumor flying around (if you're already tired of the Shaq-to-Cleveland talk) centers on the Hawks' Josh Smith. Several league sources told ESPN.com that the Hawks have been working hard the past few weeks to see whether they can find a taker for Smith.

The Hawks have some financial issues coming into the summer. Two key players, Mike Bibby and Marvin Williams, are free agents. So are a few others on the roster -- Josh Childress, Zaza Pachulia and Ronald Murray. Although the Hawks would like to keep those players, they can't afford to pay all of them. That has opened the door to the possibility of trading Smith, who, although talented, has a reputation as a difficult player to coach.

The Hawks have had no problem finding teams interested in Smith. The issue is the whopping $6 million trade kicker attached to his contract. The trade kicker essentially would require the team that trades for Smith to pay him the $6 million immediately. In this economic climate, many owners will balk at the payment.

"You are going to see very few owners willing to do things like that anymore," one GM said. "I'm not saying he's impossible to trade. There are a few owners like Paul Allen, James Dolan, Mark Cuban and maybe Daniel Gilbert who would pay the money. But there aren't many."

I love Josh Smith's game.  He'd be great with the celtics, there's no way he'd mess around with KG. Here is a possible deal that might work for for us (Washington would be trading their #5 pick in this deal to the Hawks);

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nyqup9

Re: Josh Smith available
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 04:03:42 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
It's a nice dream, but we don't have a prospect nor the money to pay Smith. Wyc does not want to "break the bank" as they say. If Smith is truly available, I'd say the Knicks would have the financial flexibility and the contracts to make it happen. Say Richardson picks up his option, which I think he will, New York could swap him for Smith.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
just heard wyc say this morning they'd pay what it takes if it meant bring back a championship.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Josh Smith to the celtics?
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
So, with this $6 million trade kicker. Are we talking a $12 million payment for this guy with luxury tax taking into consideration?  And that's before salary?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 04:18:19 PM »

Offline VPofCommonSense

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I honestly have no idea how the trade kicker works.  I know Ray Allen had one when he came over here.

Josh Smith is a really really good player though.  He brings a very unique skill set to the table... but then we wouldnt have a really great outside shooter on the wing though, unless Peirce stepped that up...

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 04:20:53 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
I honestly have no idea how the trade kicker works.  I know Ray Allen had one when he came over here.

Josh Smith is a really really good player though.  He brings a very unique skill set to the table... but then we wouldnt have a really great outside shooter on the wing though, unless Peirce stepped that up...
we could always try to sign BG with the MLE
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So, with this $6 million trade kicker. Are we talking a $12 million payment for this guy with luxury tax taking into consideration?  And that's before salary?
Yes, for a position we are already paying KG to play at a HoF level. This is not going to happen.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 04:21:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
just heard wyc say this morning they'd pay what it takes if it meant bring back a championship.
Josh Smith won't bring a title though.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

You don't think it might help the Celtics bench and defense to have Josh Smith around? No chance the guy could be a monster 6th man, blocking shots, rebounding, defending and dunking? You're right, let's just go get Nocioni instead. He's got a great attitude and that's what wins rings. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
Josh Smith + Rondo would be a lot of fun. They were best buddies at Oak Hill. As far as Josh Smith's reputation of being a difficult player to coach, Doc has handled difficult players before, so I don't think that's going to be much of an issue. But I don't see it happening, especially with Wyc's 2010 max player vision.

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
How in the world can they not afford to pay their free agents?

How much money are they thinking of paying Mike Bibby? It must be something ridiculous.

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »

Offline fugazzi24

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
Can we please workout a trade for Josh Smith to Golden State.  I just want him on a team that takes terrible shots and runs up and down the floor, so I can see 5 highlight dunks a night.

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'd love to have Josh Smith on celtics. He could play 3 and 4. could we do a sign and trade for BBD and TA or something?

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 04:53:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

You don't think it might help the Celtics bench and defense to have Josh Smith around? No chance the guy could be a monster 6th man, blocking shots, rebounding, defending and dunking? You're right, let's just go get Nocioni instead. He's got a great attitude and that's what wins rings. 
He's moody and immature player. He is also paid a ton of money, but struggles tremendously in the half court. He could be a great player for any team, but he isn't. I am not sure he will ever be.

Would I trade Ray straight up for him, sure. It'd be a huge talent upgrade But Atlanta wouldn't do that, they'd demand more. We couldn't afford to lose anymore pieces and have it work. Especially since we already have a Top 5 PF in the NBA.

And for the record I'm not a fan of trading for Nocioni (though he'd be better than Scal/Tony), not sure why you brought that.