Author Topic: trade idea: Rip Hamilton for Ray?  (Read 2674 times)

trade idea: Rip Hamilton for Ray?
« on: June 14, 2009, 09:14:05 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59814/20090614/pistons_interested_in_trading_hamilton/
It seems as though the pistons are trying to deal Rip, is there anyway we could get in on that?

I would much prefer to see Ray stay, but since everyone seems to be throwing around trades involving him I should give it a go!

Now would a trade Involving Ray for Rip and McDyess(sign and trade) be possible? that would leave us with our LLE and MLE in tact would it not? That would definently help our chances of bolstering our bench.

Re: trade idea: Rip Hamilton for Ray?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:18:55 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I've always thought of Rip Hamilton as Ray Allen with less range. I mean I wouldn't mind if he came here and he is definitely a little younger, but I guess if we are going to trade Ray, I would like to be a little 'crazier' (Amare, CP3, top draft pick, etc.)...but I am still not totally sold on trading Ray...as for getting McDyess, since we can just sign him anyway- I am not too worried about him being included in a deal...

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:24:32 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I proposed this in another thread somewhere, but we could trade Ray for Rip, Amir Johnson, McDyess (sign & trade), and Affallo.

That's basically half their team.  But it would immediately improve our depth, and we'd be getting a legit starter at the 2.  Obviously Rip is not as good as Ray right now.  But he is younger, so his shelf life is a bit longer.  Plus, his contract is sizeable enough that he could be used as a trade chip in another couple years when he's expiring.  Afflalo is a defensive minded swing player, who would be an upgrade over Tony Allen.  Amir Johnson would replace the Powe-Davis package off our bench.  And McDyess would be the 6th man (possible starter, depending on injuries).  Also, it would be much better to acquire Dyess in a trade.  Because then we'd still be able to use our MLE on other players, rather than signing him as a free agent.

Looking around the league, Detroit has the right set of players that would fill our holes, while only negligibly downgrading our starting 5 by replacing Ray.  Plus, we know they are motivated to make a trade for the simple sake of cutting salary.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 10:55:05 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I proposed this in another thread somewhere, but we could trade Ray for Rip, Amir Johnson, McDyess (sign & trade), and Affallo.

That's basically half their team.  But it would immediately improve our depth, and we'd be getting a legit starter at the 2.  Obviously Rip is not as good as Ray right now.  But he is younger, so his shelf life is a bit longer.  Plus, his contract is sizeable enough that he could be used as a trade chip in another couple years when he's expiring.  Afflalo is a defensive minded swing player, who would be an upgrade over Tony Allen.  Amir Johnson would replace the Powe-Davis package off our bench.  And McDyess would be the 6th man (possible starter, depending on injuries).  Also, it would be much better to acquire Dyess in a trade.  Because then we'd still be able to use our MLE on other players, rather than signing him as a free agent.

Looking around the league, Detroit has the right set of players that would fill our holes, while only negligibly downgrading our starting 5 by replacing Ray.  Plus, we know they are motivated to make a trade for the simple sake of cutting salary.

why would Detroit do this? Hamilton has an expiring contract already and Ray is older.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:52:44 AM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

why would Detroit do this? Hamilton has an expiring contract already and Ray is older.

False.  Rip just signed an extension last year*.  The 3rd year is at his option.  No way he opts out of that money early. 

They're regretting this deal now though, as they're in full blown rebuilding mode.  They're actively shopping him.  And we've got the richest expiring contract in the entire league this year (or very close to it).

* http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3680959
further clarification here, as Rip is not listed as a free agent in 2010. . .
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:05:05 AM by MetroGlobe »

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 01:07:59 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

False.  Rip just signed an extension last year*.  The 3rd year is at his option.  No way he opts out of that money early. 

They're regretting this deal now though, as they're in full blown rebuilding mode.  They're actively shopping him.  And we've got the richest expiring contract in the entire league this year (or very close to it).

*http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3680959
further clarification here, as Rip is not listed as a free agent in 2010. . .
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

Ray Allen still has a lot more range than Hamilton, Plus they are really close in age. If I trade Ray and his huge expiring contract I want a starting SG + a young Wing Man who can contribute right now off the bench and also has star potential for the future. Rip is getting up there in age and McDyess we can just sign for the Vet Min