Author Topic: Fixing The Cavs  (Read 7327 times)

Fixing The Cavs
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:17:53 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
While reading the latest rumors about Shaq going to Cleveland, I couldn't help but get a little upset at Danny Ferry. To me, he's always done a horrible job and for whatever reasons, despite having the single greatest open court player in the history of the game, seems to be in love with the half court game.

So it got me thinking if I was the Cavs GM and to me, it seems really, really simple (and also really, really scary)

1. Sign Shawn Marion to the MLE.
After a few tough seasons of Nash-less basketball I think he could be got on the cheap. He plays decent defense and could really excel with James in the OPEN COURT

2. Acquire Tyson Chandler and James Posey from the Hornets
It's no secret that New Orleans is in cost cutting mode. Cavs can send them immediate relief in Ben Wallace who has less years and who might retire. Cleveland would probably have to throw in a pick.

3. Acquire Kirk Hinrich
Obviously this is Rose's team. And with Salmons, and it looking like the Bulls will resign Gordon minutes won't be plentiful for him. Cleveland sends Pavlovic, Boobie Gibson and Delonte for Hinrich, Demarr Nelson and a pick.

The only problem here is that Boobie Gibson has 5 year 3.7 mil contract. Not terrible, but certainly less than desirable.

That gives you a starting five of:

Kirk Hinrich
Mo Williams
Lebron James
Shawn Marion
Tyson Chandler

with Posey, Hickson, Ilgauskus, Varejao on the bench.

Then probably want to turn to the draft for a 2 or a 3 and look for a backup, veteran PG.

That is a very good, and very scary team.

Re: Fixing The Cavs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 06:21:51 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't want Cleveland to be any good so...no.

Trying to be a bit more objective, though, I don't think that would be enough.  What the Cavs need is a #2 option who will command double teams to take the pressure off LeBron, preferably an inside threat that will give the Cavs a true inside-out kind of offensive game.  I don't think Chandler is enough to give them that.  That's why they are going after Shaq.  I don't think Shaq will be enough to put them over the top, but he's definitely a step in the right direction.  A big one.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Michael Jordan certainly never had a big...

I think Shaq clutters up the middle too much and forces Lebron into becoming a jump shooter, he's getting better at it but that's not what you want him doing. You want him driving and slashing, and you certainly don't want your opponents center to be 3-7 feet from the hoop at all times while he's doing this.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Michael Jordan certainly never had a big...

I think Shaq clutters up the middle too much and forces Lebron into becoming a jump shooter, he's getting better at it but that's not what you want him doing. You want him driving and slashing, and you certainly don't want your opponents center to be 3-7 feet from the hoop at all times while he's doing this.

Yeah, but even Jordan had Pippen, and later Rodman.

It should be obvious at this point that LeBron is not going to lead the Cavs to a championship if he is the only All-Star talent on the team.  He's good, but not that good.  The Cavs need to acquire at least one other big name guy, and I think it makes the most sense to get a guy in the front court for that, whether it's Bosh, Boozer, Shaq, etc. 

Bottom line, the Cavs need something more.  They've already tried getting a championship with a team of solid role players / not-quite-all-stars and LeBron, and they didn't really come close (getting swept in the Finals isn't coming close). 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:50:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The single worst thing the Cavs can do right now is to panic and throw away their 2010 opportunities on a lesser player(s).

They can get LeBron his sidekick next summer, and in doing so, they'll make the Cavs a powerhouse for the next 6-8 years.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 06:53:10 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't think the Cavs need a lot of fixing.  If they upgrade Wallace to Shaq, I think that would be huge for them.  They could use another wing scorer who can create his own offense, but that's a luxury I think.  If they make the Shaq trade, they'll be in great shape both for next season and in the future.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 07:06:57 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think the Cavs could pull off a Wallace and Pavlovic for Shaq trade but I still don't think it's enough.  Also I'm not sure how willing they are to pay the full MLE.  Lastly I don't think they have enough assets to pull off a trade for Amare, Bosh, of anyone that big of a name and they might not want Boozer back after what he did to them.

Hinrich is a good player but not sure he is any upgrade over West in the starting lineup.  Didn't the Thunder pull out of a trade for Chandler cause of injury issues?  Not sure if the Cavs would want him if he is damaged goods.

They will have to get a little creative.  Say the pull off the Shaq trade then having Shaq and big Z is kind of redundant on the same team.   Turn around and then trade Big Z's expiring contract and JJ Hickson and maybe a first round pick for Troy Murphy.  It gives the Pacers more cap flexibility and they aren't going anywhere with the current group.   Murphy can help spread the floor for James and is a solid rebounder and still young enough so he will be around for a few years.  Then maybe they can sign a backup C like Ratliff and you have Shaq, Ratliff, Murphy, Varejao, and maybe Joe Smith as their bigs.  Marion would work as the full MLE pickup if they use it.  Sounds like a better team to me.  

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 07:11:06 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
The cavs would probably be better for the regular season but come playoff time they would be in the same shape as they were this season aganist the Magic.Shaq is good in a halfcourt game but with teams like the Magic who play a perimeter game he would not be a big help.Also,from watching Shaq play aganist Howard in the regular season Howard got the best of that matchup.I know Lebron brings a different element to the team in what him and Shaq together could bring because Lebron is a very good passer to the post but i don't see them getting pass the Magic,Celtics in the post season.Maybe if they are planning on bringing in a few other pieces or developing a few of the young guys off the bench to be regular contributors it might could work.But if Shaq is the only piece i can't see them winning a championship that easy.Remember Shaq is 37/38 and after a 82game season,he will not be able to play up to the hard grind of the playoffs at a high level consistently .  

One of the main criticism about the cavs offense was they played to slow offensively at times.Shaq will make it even slower.Lebron needs to play with a faster pace group of players. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:37:03 PM by housecall »

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 07:49:56 PM »

Offline Celtic#9

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 15
Umm I don't know if you realize this but this is Celticsblog not Fear The Sword(which I do not) which is the Cavs blog. Take your ideas there.

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 07:51:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Take your ideas there.

I don't think it's your place to decide what ideas can and cannot be discussed here.  Please watch your attitude.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 11:17:24 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
I think Marion becomes an all star in this system. He's not Scottie Pippen, but he's an OK offensive threat, he's great in the open court, and he's a pretty solid defender. I just see good things with him and LBJ running.

I like Hinrich because while OVERALL he's not a huge upgrade from Delonte, I think from a ball handling stand point he's much past him. I also think he's a good guy to push the ball. He also has shown through his defense and shooting ability that he can handle not always being the guy that brings the ball up.

And I've always thought Chandler was the perfect guy to be on a Lebron James team. If healthy, he really can start a fast break with his shot blocking ability, and then he can finish it with his speed and jumping ability. And obviously Posey is a GREAT addition to the team well because he provides great versatility for the team (particularly with this small back court)

To me the Shaq stuff is just silly. He slows Lebron that much more and clutters the middle for him. Michael did have Scottie, and later did have Rodman but these are guys that freed things up for him. Not guys that live in the paint. I think Shaq makes them better, b/c he's an obvious upgrade. But I think adding Chandler, Posey and Hinrich makes them much better. (I'm excluding Marion because you could add him in either case)

Maybe it's just me, but I think you're better off pairing Lebron with a bunch of fringe all stars and great role players that play great defense, can run, and have enough offensive skill to get by. 

==========================

[Edited. -R.H.]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:19:36 PM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:10:43 AM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I would love it if Cleveland made that series of trades. They'd squander their cap space for next year, and still wouldn't have a legitimate second option. They'd possibly be a better overall team, but I just don't think it'd be enough to make them a powerhouse, and this is the team - no legit second option, supporting cast that's already peaked, tons of salary commitments for the future - they're stuck with for the next few years. 

The Shaq trade also works as far as I'm concerned, for all parties. Cleveland gets to "do something" to try to improve the team now to keep Lebron happy, but still have tons of cap space next year to bring in an All Star like Bosh or Amare. But adding Shaq while losing Wallace, Pavlovic, plus Wally and Varejao (because, to protect their cap space for next year, they can't resign Varejao long term) does not really improve their team a ton in my opinion. I don't think they're good enough to beat us next year, so we get a better shot. Of course, in 2 years, we might be looking at a Cleveland core of Lebron, Bosh and Mo Williams, which would be quite difficult to deal with. But we've got 2009-10 to win another title and then decide the future.

The Cavs' tough situation this summer - take a ton of chances now to keep Lebron happy, hurting flexibility for next year, or not doing much and going for broke in 2010 - is a big reason why I think the Celtics should just put everything into winning it all this year. If Cleveland adds a superstar to Lebron in 2010, it's gonna become harder and harder to beat them for several years. I'd spend what I could now to win now, and not worry about rebuilding because Lebron with another All Star and Mo as a third option will make it difficult to win anyway from 2011-14 or so.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 11:20:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

3. Acquire Kirk Hinrich
Obviously this is Rose's team. And with Salmons, and it looking like the Bulls will resign Gordon minutes won't be plentiful for him. Cleveland sends Pavlovic, Boobie Gibson and Delonte for Hinrich, Demarr Nelson and a pick.

The only problem here is that Boobie Gibson has 5 year 3.7 mil contract. Not terrible, but certainly less than desirable.

That gives you a starting five of:

Kirk Hinrich
Mo Williams
Lebron James
Shawn Marion
Tyson Chandler

with Posey, Hickson, Ilgauskus, Varejao on the bench.

Then probably want to turn to the draft for a 2 or a 3 and look for a backup, veteran PG.

That is a very good, and very scary team.
Delonte West gives them every bit as much as Hinrich, and his contract is cheap. No reason to make this move.

Shawn Marion would be a huge get, also the Shaq trade would be huge. A lot depends if they re-sign Anderson Varejao.

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 11:47:13 AM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
Delonte to no where near Heinrich IMO.

If the matrix only wants the MLE - he better be wearing green next season.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
"I don't think it's your place to decide what ideas can and cannot be discussed here.  Please watch your attitude."

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa, you got offended on a blog, think about that for a minute...yeah kinda lame huh? Perhaps you should let people say what they want too & "watch your attitude" thats was hilarious, good looks on the Monday laughs!

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa