Author Topic: Trade Pierce instead of Sugar Ray  (Read 17311 times)

Re: Trade Pierce instead of Sugar Ray
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2009, 12:15:17 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Listen i know Pierce was a big part of our success last year, but Ray is more valuable to this team in my opinion.  That's not to say i want to trade pierce, but if we improve the team then of course it's a no brainer. And just because i brought up facts about Pierce being selfish in the past, doesn't mean i'm not a celtics fan.  Most celtics fans here seem to ignore this fact about Pierce for some reason. It is what it is tho, not gona change those people even with the truth.

Boy do you have this wrong.  Ray gets lots and lots of open shots from playing with PP and KG.  In fact, the loss of KG hurt his game more than anyone on the team. He forced a ton of shots and didn't get as many easy looks as he'd gotten all season.  If Ray's decision making was better we'd have beaten the Magic.  Go rewatch the games.  When KG went down, Ray's game regressed and Rondo's went up, so did House's.  Other than the Bulls series, Ray's game overall suffered.  With PP and KG and the floor Ray gets a TON of open looks, a great opportunity for potentially the best pure shooter in the history of the game.  

Trading Pierce is as ludricous as trading Rondo.  Or even Ray for that matter.  The chemistry on this team and the starting 5 is as good as any 5 in league history.  Everyone's skills perfectly compliment the next.  I don't believe (like others on this board) that we need to make a move to win again, but thats all semantics.  Your piece though is just nonsense.  KG anchors the D, PP anchors the O. Need both to win man.

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2009, 01:17:09 AM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Ya so anyone who brings up Pierce being selfish before is a bandwagon? Ya good logic lol

Instead of typing up a proper reply, I think I'm going to respond to every post of yours with this excellent reply by nickagenta (TP, by the way)

Is it just me or does AnythingisPossible seem to have the exact same opinion on Paul Pierce as a former regular on the site named stanthompsonismyhero. That guy did everything he could to run Pierce's name into the ground on this blog.

AnythingisPossible, while I don't necessarily disagree that trading any of the Big Three at this time is not the thing to do, I do disagree that trading Paul would be better.

First off, given the economic conditions througout the league and with several teams in bad financial state(Memphis, Phoenix, Charlotte, Sacramento, New Orleans, etc) Ray's contract will be easier to trade than Pierce's. Second, given the fact there are teams looking to shed salary to get involved in the 2010 free agent bonanza(Chicago, New York, New Jersey, Detroit) this only furthers the size of the market that could be just dying to trade for a $20 million expiring contract come the trading deadline.

Pierce is a horse and very valuable. He will command a lot on the open market. But just how many teams out there are looking for a top 2 SF in the league that will push them over the top for a championship and give the Celtics back a "stud SF and stud bench player". The market isn't out there. When people are thirsty and you have water to sell, a lot of people will look to buy that water and you will max out its value. When people are thirsty and all you have is cereal, you aren't going to sell a lot of cereal to those people.

As for everything you said regarding Pierce, none of it was fact and almost all of it was opinion. Pierce is a crybaby is an opinion. Ray is a better player than Pierce is an opinion. Pierce is a whiner is an opinion.

As for the numbers that you threw out there, yes Ray has some good shooting percentages, but Pierce scores more, rebounds more, gets more assists, blocks more shots and makes more steals than Ray. He is also a more versatile player than Ray is and guards his position better than Ray guards his position. Pierce also had a higher PER than Ray.

Listen, I'm all for trading any one player on the Celtics as long as it makes the team better as a whole, but right now, if a Big Three guy is going to be traded, it's going to be Ray for economic reasons and a myriad of others that have been listed and discussed here.

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130
Paul will finish his career in Boston. He's been the face of this team for eight years, he's put this team on his back and carried it up a slippery slope, and when that wasn't enough, he demanded that the management bring Boston to a higher standard. Paul's "selfishness" is part of the reason Ray and KG were brought in, so you should be thanking him rather than criticizing him. He's here until he retires. Case closed.

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2009, 02:46:52 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Pierce gave up the spotlight that he had as the primary face of the Celtics, in order to with a championship. Which also decreased his numbers.

If you think that is selfish, then you need to go re-evaluate your life.

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2009, 02:50:05 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
You're probably some bandwagon because if you like green you have to like Pierce seeing as you're trashing him like hell

Actually i've been a celtics fan since the days of John Bagley, Xavier Mcdnaniel, Kevin Gamble, let's  not forget Chris Corciani!!
*coughbandwagoncough*

Ya so anyone who brings up Pierce being selfish before is a bandwagon? Ya good logic lol
Did I say that's why? Maybe I was implying that you weren't a fan before and say you are now for bragging rights and maybe you don't like Pierce.

edit - no personal attacks - wdleehi
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 06:11:18 PM by wdleehi »